Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

a few more pics of my car w/ cup1's + custom interior carpet.

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2005, 02:22 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Ah. Thanks Damian! I'll have to update my signature!
Old 06-02-2005, 04:08 PM
Damian in NJ
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Andy, your sig is fine, you've got 16" Cup 1's.
Old 06-10-2005, 03:57 AM
Boricua944
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What happen to the write up Rich....
Old 10-05-2005, 03:20 PM
944J
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What about removing the sound deadening and then looking for some modern "light weight" sound spray or stick on mats that are lighter. So you take out 50lbs then spray 10lbs, get a quite car (maybe quieter) and save 40lbs?
Old 11-18-2005, 12:08 AM
shortyboy
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

write up rich?im really interested in this.ill be pulling my dash sometime this week.
Old 11-18-2005, 06:15 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Yes, please... write-up! I just sent you a PM about this stuff Rich, but you could cover it all w/a write-up... I have a few specific questions, but, you could answer them all here if you want, so that everyone could benefit...

9443 - "What about removing the sound deadening and then looking for some modern "light weight" sound spray or stick on mats that are lighter. So you take out 50lbs then spray 10lbs, get a quite car (maybe quieter) and save 40lbs?"

Would this really work...? What kind of "sound spray" could one get? Brands? Is there really that much stick-on sound deadening material in these cars? It's a PITFA to scrape that sticky stuff off... Rich probably removed 35lbs from the rear seat... Well, that is if he'd get rid of the seat-back bolts- you have to cut that inner piece out of the metal sidewall- that little thing is not just a simple threaded washer or nut... it's really pretty big & bulky... they HAVE to weigh a full pound each... very odd looking IMO... I can send a pic to someone if anyone would like to post... the bolt is pretty big too, so, you'd lose ~3lbs total by getting both things out of both sides, I'd bet.... I can send a pic to someone if any of you would like to post...
Old 11-18-2005, 06:44 AM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Rich: Did you use and kind of padding or foam or did you/going to glue the carpet directly on?

I am asking because i am getting a new carpet for the rear hatch and the two sides, thinking of either adding foam/padding or just glueing them on directly
Old 11-18-2005, 09:39 AM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hey rich.. Just a quick question, not sure if you wrote it somehwere. What did you use and how hard was it to do the roof covering like you did? I'm working on trying to put the vinyl back in and it's not going so well. That looks like a possible alternative, but not sure if it will look right when the rest of my carpeting is stock?
Old 11-23-2005, 02:14 AM
azmi951
Drifting

What type of carpet is that?????

How much streach? does the fuzzieness match the stock stuff?

I have never found a sutably streachy carpet.
Old 11-23-2005, 03:09 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Devon- why did you pull the vinyl...? Are you talking about the headliner too...? The carpet on the sidewalls looks really cool too- this might be a good alternative for stereo guys... getting to that rear speaker has always been a PITFA... W/carpet there, I'm wondering if we could make it look good & still give accessiblity to the speakers...? The main prob lies in the vinyl being tucked around the window... I'm really considering some sort of change here, since, my car was broken into awhile back & I still haven't re-installed all of my stereo yet.... any ideas here anyone...?
Old 11-23-2005, 03:10 AM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Rich: Did you use and kind of padding or foam or did you/going to glue the carpet directly on?

I am asking because i am getting a new carpet for the rear hatch and the two sides, thinking of either adding foam/padding or just glueing them on directly
3M adhesive in a spray can, directly unto the paint. There aren't going to be people sitting back there.. there does not need to be any cushioning!

Hey rich.. Just a quick question, not sure if you wrote it somehwere. What did you use and how hard was it to do the roof covering like you did? I'm working on trying to put the vinyl back in and it's not going so well. That looks like a possible alternative, but not sure if it will look right when the rest of my carpeting is stock?
I used the same felty trunk liner to cover the interior roofing as I did for the hatch and rear seat. NO ONE notices it unless I actually point it out - even seasoned 951 owners. It's not THAT difficult to Remove & Replace the roof vinyl. It's just a matter of getting the sizes right when cutting. (you must make them bigger than needed, then trim the excess as you mount it.) Start from the sunroof, and work your way down to the door openings and A pillar. Use tape to hold the bottoms in place while you slide the rubber seals over the top pieces.

What type of carpet is that?????

How much streach? does the fuzzieness match the stock stuff?

I have never found a sutably streachy carpet.
It's an OEM supplier brand TRUNK LINER. It's a black, fuzzy, SOFT, stretachble felt liner. Under bright light conditions, the stock carpet has a blueish tint to it, whereas this trunk liner is 100% black. It's also a little more plasticy looking and feeling whereas the OEM carpet is way thicker and more plush. And the OEM is also way more durable. But the OEM carpet is also WAY heavier. The carpet used to cover the entire Roof, Hatch, and rear seats weighs MAYBE 2-4 lbs.
Old 03-08-2006, 03:56 AM
M Danger
Three Wheelin'

so where do you get this stuff??
Old 03-08-2006, 06:42 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

I just started actively searching for some carpet to cover the rear seat area- also considering covering the side panels back there to try to make the rear speakers more accessible... RICH- did you ever finish all of it up? Any pictures? Sending you a PM just in case you're not still following this thread...

Anyway, not sure if anyone's interested, but I just requested some samples www.StockInteriors.com sent one in 2 or 3 days- just typed up their online form- I was amazed how fast it got here- looks pretty nice- has a thin film of latex(?) on the backside. It's only ~1"X1" & I still need to compare it to my interior in the daylight to make sure it's a good match. Judging by how it looks here, I think it is... I'm going to call tommorrow & ask a few questions, like what kind of glue I'll need- it's in Greenville SC- they list two #'s on the enclosed form- 864.292.1275 & 866.868.4577. I wanted to get samples from a few places, but have only contacted this one & one other & the other hasn't sent their's yet- since this one was so quick to deliver, I'll probably use them as I was really impressed w/their speed/service.
Old 03-08-2006, 12:28 PM
Randy_J
Three Wheelin'

I've seen Rich's car and he's done a fablulous job on it - inside and out, and it's a quick car made even faster with all the weight being taken out of it. Well done Rich! Post some new photos with the completed interior and latest mods.
Old 03-12-2006, 06:31 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Just got more samples from world upholstery- haven't gotten prices from stock interiors yet, but carpet's more expensive than I thought- the middle range carpet that seems to be the best match is $66/yard & is 60" wide, so in inches, it would be 36" X 60" for $66... I really think that will be more than enough to cover the rear seat area, since the side panels have carpet already, etc- I just wish I could know, in advance, if I want a shelf back there, or, to just carpet straight over & leave it alone- this would be the lightest, of course, but, I've always wanted something along the lnes of the 911CS rear cargo area...

Rich- how much did you pay for your carpet? Can't remember where you said you bought it from...? Also, I'm assuming you paid Canadian- how do I convert from US to Canadian- anyone...?

Will post all prices here, of various sampl;es of carpet I've been given from each place if anyone here is interested. So far, I only have 4 total samples from 2 total places...

Thanks
Robby

Quick Reply: a few more pics of my car w/ cup1's + custom interior carpet.