Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The greatest drive ever...

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2004, 08:09 PM
Josh968
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by joseph mitro
too bad oklahoma is primarily flat, straight roads
Kinda like Houston and most of the surrounding area
Old 09-05-2004, 08:29 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Eyal, I'll be there in February...that road is makin me DROOL!!!
Old 09-07-2004, 09:54 PM
Lechto
Advanced

Man those pictures were making me drool. I love stories like that of people's perfect drives.

Please post some more stories and pictures if you got em.
Old 09-08-2004, 01:05 AM
User 41221
Banned

Received 173 Likes on 108 Posts

This is exactly why we are hosting RennTreffen at the Lake of the Ozarks in a coupl eof weeks. The place is surrounded by miles of roads like this. After an entire weekend of cruising around on them, I am guessing it will be about a year before the smile leaves my face.

What do I have to do to tempt y'all into coming?

Regards,
Old 09-08-2004, 04:24 AM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Porschephile 924
Eyal, I'll be there in February...that road is makin me DROOL!!!
you can drool on the roads where your here. they are less then 10 minutes away from my house, and you have a place to stay at my house if you want it.
~Eyal
Old 09-08-2004, 05:22 AM
inactiveuser92616
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

last year I found a beautiful, twisty drive in the canyons near campus, while blowing off some steam. I went on that drive a few times, its a wonderful one that can be done many different ways. My only complaint was the roughness of the roads making them unpredictable. This year I returned on a whim, and found it all freshly paved.
Old 09-08-2004, 11:18 AM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some of the best drives I've experienced:

* Maui, Hawaii - The Road to Hana - 53 miles of over 600 hair-pin turns, 52 one-lane bridges. Takes over 3 hours for most to travel ONE WAY. Click here for some pics & history of this road. This sign says it all:

Note: Also on Maui is the road up to Haleakala National Park. Lots of switchbacks and a very steep grade.

* Carbon River Road / Nisqually Road near Seattle, Washington: the climb up the side of Mt. Rainier. Note the 09-01-04 advisory posted Here.
Originally Posted by Travel Advisory
Carbon River Road now OPEN. Westside Road is closed to ALL TRAVEL including foot, bicycle and vehicles near Nisqually Rd due to mud and rock slides and an unpassable stream. All other park roads and facilities remain open.
This road is amazing - sheer drops and beauty all around - definately scary fun!

* PCH-1: Pacific Coast Highway - only the most beautiful Californian road.

* The roads around Grantham & Mechanicsburg, PA - I went to school at Messiah College in Grantham, PA, and the side roads there are simply awesome! Many hills and 'hidden valleys' lots of dangerous curves, and I knew just about every one of them!

* The Cheasapeak Bay-Bridge Tunnel. Website It's a series of bridges and tunnels (all connected without land!) that's 17 miles long! It connects Virginia Beach with VA's Eastern Shores. Here's a pic. Note the 'gap' on the bridge in the upper part of the picture - that's where the road goes into a tunnel!

* If you like long bridges, you've gotta check out the Florida Keys Scenic Highway, the southern most part of US-1. Info here. 106.5 miles long, it winds across the Florida Keys, ending at Key West. Amazing structure.

Closer to my home are:
* Storm King Highway / Seven Lakes Drive - Bear Mountain NY (Near West Point). Seven Lakes Drive has lots of twisties, while Storm King Highway (17K, IIRC) is a blast up a mountain. Very fun, very challenging roads.

* Skyline Drive / Greenwood Lake Pike, Ringwood, NJ: If there's no traffic on Skyline Drive, it is a fun road - quite a lot of elevation change and lots of turns. Greenwood Lake Pike follows a series of reserviors, including the Monksville Reservior. Nice Sunday drive!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Some roads I look forward to driving someday:
* The Tail of the Dragon at Deals Gap, NC. (US Route 129) Click here for the official website Not quite as curvy as the Road to Hana, but with 318 curves in 11 miles, it's gotta be a blast!

* The highway up the Blue Ridge Mountains (I think it's called Skyline Drive.)

* The highway up and down the Rocky Mountains. I just gotta make sure to bleed my brakes before departure!
Originally Posted by voiceover
Ok, that's it for this week's edition of "Great Roads in America." I'm your host, Zoltan, wishing you safe journeys and happy trails!
-Z-man.
Old 09-09-2004, 12:06 PM
Lechto
Advanced

sh944 tell me when and where exactly and hopefully I can make it.

Quick Reply: The greatest drive ever...