Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

well it looks like a headgasket

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2004, 03:40 PM
daniel951
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default well it looks like a headgasket

i am going to be selling the car. Let me know if u are interested.

I was thinking about fixing the headgasket but don't know if i am up to the job.How long does it take to fix a headgasket. Either way it looks like the car has to go. My parents are pissed off about it and he is making me move it to storage for a year to get it out of the garage. Let me know if u are interested it is for sale.
Old 09-03-2004, 03:50 PM
jsonnen
Three Wheelin'

That sucks Daniel.....maybe you should give it some time and think about it before you sell as you won't get much for it as it is now.

Seriously you have spent so much time , effort and money to get the car to this point......a headgasket job is relatively easy and will be worth it whether you sell the car or not as not many people would take the risk of buying your car as it is. Sleep on it and really reconsider selling it as is, at the very least fix the HG and then sell, that way you won't totally take a bath on the car.

Good luck
Old 09-03-2004, 03:54 PM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I agree with jsonnen. Don't let your parents' position sway your decision.

Don't get me wrong, I'd try to make it up to them as best as I could, but I wouldn't let them influence my decision about the car or I might regret it later.
Old 09-03-2004, 04:02 PM
Mongo
Official Bay Area Patriot
Fuse 24 Assassin
Rennlist Member

Received 119 Likes on 62 Posts

my mom was the same way about my 84. Don't let it get you down. I threatened to move out when that happened because I wasn't gonna lose all the money I put in it and it seemed to have had an improvement on my mom's perception on Porsche reliability since her Ford Exploder at the time was worse. I hope everything does work out for you and you keep it and fix it...

Andy
Old 09-03-2004, 04:18 PM
ian
Nordschleife Master

Received 65 Likes on 37 Posts

How did you tune your car?

Dyno? Wideband O2? or were you using a narowband O2 system?

Judging by you sig i'm going to guess you were using the autometer gauge (and I remember you talking about it in a previous post).

So if the above if the case I would say you have no one but yourself to blame for the blown headgasket. These cars can be reliable for an 80s sports car, but you have to be very careful with the mods, take things slowly and do things right the first time, or you are going to do it a 2nd and 3rd time.

I feel you are over reacting more than a little on this one, sure it sucks to blow a HG (i've done it, many here have) but for the most part it was user error and we move on. Selling the car as is you are going to take a huge loss, getting it running and selling it you will still take a large loss, but not quite as bad as if you sold it as is. If you need to get your money out of the car sell of the mods and sell the stock car.

I sold mine as a complete package, but it was a complete running, dyno proven, package, but even at that I think I got lucky finding the right buyer, and the right buyer got lucky finding the car.

Best of luck, take a few moments away from the car and think about what you need to do.
Old 09-03-2004, 05:05 PM
daniel951
Race Car

took the top end apart today and i think there is something wrong with the wastegate. I can't see how it is on backwards but i think that is what the problem was. I think that was the source of my oil leak and coolant also. It seems like the wastegate is pressurizing the engine. When i start the car and then turn it off i open the coolant tank cap and it starts bubbling like releasing pressure.i will take some pics and let me know. Ian i know what u are saying but this is the 3rd headgasket already. The other two were not my fault as u say. The shop i took my car to put in backwards and blew it. This time i didn't do anything wrong and i wasn't running lean either.
Old 09-03-2004, 05:14 PM
daniel951
Race Car

here are some pics
Attached Images    
Old 09-03-2004, 05:17 PM
daniel951
Race Car

what kind of head gasket should i replace it with?
Old 09-03-2004, 05:24 PM
ian
Nordschleife Master

Daniel,

Well then explain to me how you tuned your car, I would like to know what steps you took to make sure your car was running at the proper a/f ratios. Narrow band 02 does not count.

And if the wastegate was in backwards you would have had way too much boost, and you would have seen that on your boost gauge, and the car would have felt supid quick (as it built 25plus psi of boost).

Also the wastegate can't pressuries the engine, it is just not plumed that way, the wastegate can hold too much pressure, causing you to build to much boost, which can then cause oil leaks, maybe thats what you are refering to. And why is it you think its in backwards anyway?
Old 09-03-2004, 05:30 PM
daniel951
Race Car

i only have tuned it from what i can with the arc-2 and the arm-1 and autometer. Of course this is not exact but it wouldn't be way off. I check the lights and i was running rich not lean. If there isn't nothing wrong with the wastegate then i have no idea what could have happened?? I am open to ideas before i put this new head gasket in.
Old 09-03-2004, 05:37 PM
ian
Nordschleife Master

Next question:

How much boost were you running?

Also, the narrow band a/f gauge is not exact that is correct, but you are wrong in your assumption that it can't be way off. These things are notorious for giving off false readings and should never be used for tuning the car. Well thats IMHO of course.
Old 09-03-2004, 05:37 PM
OriginalSterm
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the arm-1 is just a guess. mine read "perfect" and i was sickly rich most of the time. please replace the headgasket and don't make any hasty decisions. you will take a hard one in the wallet if you try and sell as-is.
Old 09-03-2004, 06:19 PM
SamGrant951
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Yeah, my arm1 was telling me I was rich, in reality under boost Im hitting 14+ Air/Fuel ratios. NOT SAFE. Ive totally eased off the car until I get the SMT6 installed. With my wideband I can see Im too rich when coming on boost and too lean up top...dont trust those narrowbands!
Old 09-03-2004, 08:29 PM
daniel951
Race Car

i thought danno's chips are pretty close to the A/F when u have them burned for your car specifically. How much is a wide band?
Old 09-03-2004, 08:54 PM
MM951
Race Director

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

Daniel...dont sell the car you'll take a bath and regret it..

I've gone thru 2 conquests. Both were stock (acutally the 89 had some mods) and one blew a rod thru the block and is s till sitting in the driveway..mom wants to kill me!!! the 87 I got was supposed to be mint and it has a cracked head. a 944 is like a Honda compared to my car! Fix it and enjoy it!

Quick Reply: well it looks like a headgasket