Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jacking suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2004 | 02:12 AM
RaymonEbbs
Track Day

Default Jacking suggestions

Well im about to go into a huge challenge called a complete clutch change im excited but not at the same time n/e ways i was wondering if any one couls give me a good run down on how to jack up my car properly. when i looked at the car it seemed to be kinda a pain to get it up of the ground. any tips would be great

P.S. the car does not drive right now so i can not drive it on to ramps.

thanks alot you guys are such a life saver.
Old 09-03-2004 | 02:36 AM
ckathens
Drifting

you probably wouldn't be able to get it on ramps anyway. Every ramp i've seen has been too steep for the low-riding 944..
Old 09-03-2004 | 02:58 AM
DanG
Three Wheelin'

I just started a clutch job today. I used a pair in the back on the torsion bar beam, actually on a portion of the semi-trailing arm, but close enough to the front to prevent recompressing the suspension. In the front, I put a pair under the frame rails just before they angle up the firewall. The car is up and stable. I've read/heard to avoid using the donut shaped "apparent" jacking points, these are meant for hydraulic lifts with the right jackpad only, and have been reported to collapse when used with regular jackstands.
Old 09-03-2004 | 10:56 AM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Find the little diamond shaped indentations mid-way along the rocker panels. These indicate the jack points. (Carefully) Jack up one side of the car and place jack stands under that side. Go to the other side and repeat. You may need to take a couple of passes to get the car high enough and level.

As mentioned above (DanG) - do not use the round pads located near the front of the doors. These may collapse. I use the "frame" rails near the front and small (open) box sections at the rear near the rocker panel. If you do use the same location at the rear as I do - be very careful to set the jack stand so it is centered on the "box" section.
Old 09-03-2004 | 11:00 AM
elf89
Pro

This thread has some good discussion on jacking a 944. It also included this graphic created by Rich Sandor, which is an awesome guide as to where and where not to use jacks or jackstands on a 944.

Be safe!

Old 09-03-2004 | 11:11 AM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

If you are not on cement remember to use pieces of plywood under the jackstand to keep the jackstand from sinking and tipping. Also, jack up each side in increments. Do one side with the stands at full low. Then get the other side up to the same height, go a little heigher, put those jackstnads a little higher, then go raise the otehr side.. Go bacdk and forth a couple to a few times... It helps trust me. These cars are very low so when jacking it up onto jackstands, you have to tilt the car alot , and it can fall off jackstands on the opposite side if you lift too high on one side.
Old 09-03-2004 | 01:27 PM
Macfreak007
Three Wheelin'

Raymon, you are putting in a spring cented clutch correct, and make sure that you do everything else while you are in there..... pressureplate, throwout bearing, pilot bearing, rearmain seal, machine the flywheel, new flywheel bolts, think thats eveything, GOOD LUCK! take your time and its not too bad, I just got done w/ one. If you need any other advice PM me!
Old 09-03-2004 | 02:35 PM
joseph mitro
Race Car

what about this method

Quick Reply: Jacking suggestions