Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone buy aftermarket timing belts?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2004, 12:26 AM
jyoon
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone buy aftermarket timing belts?

Wondering if the aftermarket timing belt paragon sells is good enough. The OEM is $38, and the aftermarket Continental is $11.50. I'm tempted to go with the aftermarket one cause the OEM is rediculously more expensive and they are changed at a relatively short interval compared to other cars. Anyone have any bad luck or experience with the aftermarket ones?
Old 09-02-2004, 12:29 AM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, i always thought that the OEM was made from Continental, guess i was wrong.

I know that it's ok to use the aftermarket ones, but need to be replaced at 45,000miles (60,000kms) unlike the OEM which lasts 60,000miles (80,000kms)

I think?!
Old 09-02-2004, 01:46 AM
marky522
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

nope, i believe the rule is change them at 45K, I would like advice on anyone that has used the gatorback belt??? When my dad's 924s busted the belt he got one from autozone, so i could retime and check for damage.

Mark
Old 09-02-2004, 02:16 AM
Don 944 LA
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would think that the belts are the most important thing to be 100% sure of. I would go with OEM if you can, but thats coming from someone that has his fingers crossed. I haven't done mine, and have no idea when there were done last.
Old 09-02-2004, 02:35 AM
tod84944
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My mechanic uses the Cont. belt. The original belts that came on the cars from the factory were Pirelli. They were crap so Porsche switched to the Cont. made belt.
Old 09-02-2004, 04:48 AM
Legoland951
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I have always used continental and have changed over 100 timing belts on these cars without any problems. I change them at 60k miles and have seen them last longer than that on other people's cars and not seen them break. I believe proper tensioning is the key here.
Old 09-02-2004, 10:44 AM
RMills944
Drifting

Well, belts are like seals, so I'll tell the story again (this was in a thread a long time ago)

A vacationing penguin is driving through Arizona when he notices that the oil-pressure light is on. He gets out to look and sees oil dripping out of the motor. He drives to the nearest town and stops at the first gas station.

After dropping the car off, the penguin goes for a walk around town. He sees an ice-cream shop and, being a penguin in Arizona, decides that something cold would really hit the spot. He gets a big bowl of sardine ice cream and sits down to eat. Having no hands, he makes a real mess trying to eat with his little flippers.

After finishing his ice cream, he goes back to the gas station and asks the mechanic if he's found the problem. The mechanic looks up and says, "It looks like you blew a seal."

"No, no," the penguin replies, "It's just ice cream."

MORAL: ALWASY USE FRACTORY SEALS/BELTS!!
Old 09-02-2004, 11:23 AM
Tony K
Burning Brakes

Just visually inspecting the belts, the Continental ("Conti-Tech") appears to be so much better quality than the several others I have seen --this is regarding both timing/balance belts and altenator/pwr steer belts. The others I have seen just feel flimsy in comparison. The most I put on a Conti timing belt was 52k miles, the majority of which were accompanied by a leaking front seal. I trust them, and wouldn't put any other on my car. I am under the impression that they are the best you can get for these cars.

Cheers,
Old 09-02-2004, 11:30 AM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If you think $38 for a belt is ridiculous you're driving the wrong brand of car.

Seriously, the other belt is probably OK but given the risk I'm going OEM.
Old 09-02-2004, 11:49 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Peckster
If you think $38 for a belt is ridiculous you're driving the wrong brand of car.

Seriously, the other belt is probably OK but given the risk I'm going OEM.
Agreed.

And for some levity, I just bought an OEM Nissan Pathfinder timing belt for $52.00 at the dealer.
Old 09-02-2004, 11:56 AM
Tony K
Burning Brakes

The problem with "OEM" is that it sometimes translates to "whoever PCNA most recently made a deal with to supply parts". For example, several weeks ago on here, someone realized that the Porsche oil filter from the dealership was the same filter you could buy under the "STP" brand. At other times, parts vendors other than Porsche dealers improperly use "OEM" when what they are really selling is a substitute. For example, I bought an "OEM" head gasket set for my 83 a year ago, and what I got was "Victor Reinz" - which is Dana corp. I don't recall where the gaskets were made, but I did note that it was not Germany, Austria, Belgium, or Sweden, so I highly doubt that they were the same gaskets that were used at the factory. Maybe Victor Reinz was a manufacturer in Germany or Austria at one time (I have no clue), but if they were, Dana bought them, and now what carries the "Victor Reinz" name may or may not be (most likely is) a different gasket from a different plant. But once again, given that they were not made in a country you would expect the original Porsche parts to come from, I seriously doubt today's "Victor Reinz" gaskets have anything to do with "OEM" (I hope I am totally wrong here, though). I have bought "OEM" thermostats within a month of each other that were from different manufacturers. So I am a bit cautious when I see "OEM".

I try to find what manufacturer made the part that went on the car back when it was made, and use that, whether or not is is currently the part that comes in the box labeled "Porsche". If I can not find what that is, I will buy the "Porsche" part. If that is not available, I go with something made in Germany.

Cheers,
Old 09-02-2004, 12:00 PM
Tony K
Burning Brakes

My first "OEM" alternator/ac belt that I bought only had 5 ribs on it. Funny, the pulleys have 6 grooves. The Conti belt has 6 ribs...
Old 09-02-2004, 12:00 PM
Geo
Race Director

The peace of mind is worth the additional $26.50 to me.
Old 09-02-2004, 12:03 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Tony K
My first "OEM" alternator/ac belt that I bought only had 5 ribs on it. Funny, the pulleys have 6 grooves. The Conti belt has 6 ribs...
That is a function of early v late 944's. The pulleys have a different number of grooves in them.
Old 09-02-2004, 12:05 PM
Tony K
Burning Brakes

I don't care how much it cost - I want to get the best belt for the car. The Conti's just look and feel to be better-constructed. When you buy a belt in a Porsche box, who knows, they might get their belts from 2 or 3 different suppliers?!? I am sure they are all good.

Quick Reply: Anyone buy aftermarket timing belts?