Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hesitation problem again!

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2004, 11:14 AM
DanG
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Car would cough/gag on throttle input, usually only under load. And yes, definitely completely random. Sometimes it was really bad, sometimes it ran fine. Sometimes when it was hot, sometimes when it was cold.

I used NGK copper plugs, and had to regap each one. Our gap spec is lower than most, .028-.032"

Here's my related post.
Old 09-02-2004, 11:36 AM
RMills944
Drifting

QUESTION:

How do you remove the injectors? I may clean those out too.

I'm assuming depressurize the fuel rail and unscrew them?
Old 09-02-2004, 01:16 PM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Fishey
Change to copper plugs! I ran Bosch Platinums and at 5k miles the car ran like crap! I changed them everything is now fine!
OK, now I'm in the same boat with R Mills. Changed out the O2 sensor, but the hesitation/crapping out is back again in the S2. You think it could be the plugs? I did put in some 2-prong Bosch Platinums about 5K miles ago...

Factory Manuals call for Bosch WR 5 DC, but I couldn't find them at most of the stores I tried. Your source?
Old 09-02-2004, 03:27 PM
StupEd05
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I tried to get copper but the dumb *** at AutoZone said all they carry is Platinum!

RMills944 - If you go to RennBay there is a great tutorial on cleaning and removing your injectors. I just did mine last night without disconnecting fuel lines, just make sure you have some rags underneath the injectors when you take them out of the fuel rail. If you dont have stuff to clean them yourself take them to a shop, im sure it cant be very expensive. If you use a 9volt battery and rig up a momentary switch between it and the plug on the injector you can run injector cleaner through them using a weed killer pump. Just make sure you dont hold the button down for more than a second at a time or you can burn up the injector. Sounds harder than it is...
Old 09-02-2004, 04:55 PM
Dalilean
Instructor

Originally Posted by M758
definilty pull the AFM and check the wiper tracks.

I had an issue on my 944-spec car. It would get complete power loss at the worst times. Not fun. At much seaching I traced it to a bad AFM. Using FR Wilk's website and directions I adjusted the AFM wipe tracks adn the problem is gone. Time was about 1 hour and cost was $0.
A link to the site please...
Old 09-02-2004, 06:19 PM
i murdered hitler
6th Gear

i suggest you guys take your cars to someone that can check your exhaust emissions. ie: smog place(not the test only places) or someone with an exhaust analyzer. they can tell you if your engine is misfiring, rich, lean, or if it has a mechanical/ignition problem. your cars can have kind of tricky problems, the fuel rail needs a certain amount of pressure, and it also has to increase when you accelerate, otherwise you could run lean when your cruising and rich at idle. if you have some readings i could give you a pretty good idea on whats going on in your engine. good luck with you all.
Old 09-02-2004, 06:24 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Fishey
Change to copper plugs! I ran Bosch Platinums and at 5k miles the car ran like crap! I changed them everything is now fine!
Same thing happened to me, but in opposite. I was running copper, and switched to platinum, and it fixed it....wierd...
Old 09-02-2004, 06:31 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by i murdered hitler
i suggest you guys take your cars to someone that can check your exhaust emissions. ie: smog place(not the test only places) or someone with an exhaust analyzer. they can tell you if your engine is misfiring, rich, lean, or if it has a mechanical/ignition problem. your cars can have kind of tricky problems, the fuel rail needs a certain amount of pressure, and it also has to increase when you accelerate, otherwise you could run lean when your cruising and rich at idle. if you have some readings i could give you a pretty good idea on whats going on in your engine. good luck with you all.
May be a good idea, but here is my take...please note, I'm not trying to flame you....

Here on Rennlist, for the most part, we have VERY knowledgable people participating who know the cars. The reasons we don't take our cars there, is we can't afford it (at least that's my case). And, there are easy ways to tell without an exhaust annylizer, if our car is running rich, or lean, or what might be the cause of a problem.

The only reason I'm responding in this way is, This is your first post, we know nothing about you, and I'm assuming you know nothing about us. It feels to me like you are coming in and saying, "I here, know everything about how to fix your problems." Hell, we don't even know if you own a Porsche. it just seems very critical of our methods. We are the type of people for the most part who enjoy a challenge, and enjoy discovering and fixing the problems with the cars.

For me, the help I get here is great. Priceless to me, and that's why I don't mind dropping the money on the membership. it's great to partake in such a great web board. The help I can't get, I get from a Factory Porsche tech. He gets beer for advice.

Once again, I'm not trying to flame you, just trying to explain how this board works for what seems like everyone. But welcome, and please, tell us about yourself.
-Porschephile
Old 09-02-2004, 07:06 PM
i murdered hitler
6th Gear

i've been reading most of everything on this board for the past 3 months and i made a membership a few weeks ago.
i've got 3 944's in the driveway, all n/a. the '86 is going to be a parts car pretty soon, not much of it is worth putting in another car. the drivers rear quarter is wiped out. i looked for a replacement and i found an '87 with 175,000 mi. that needed a clutch. paid $400 and towed it the entire 3 blocks to my house.

i'm currently going to a tech. school taking auto technology and i graduate in 6 months. i wanted to go to school because i had a hard time diagnosing my old bmw every time it quit on me. i was great at pulling heads and starters, but i didnt know why my engine blew a head gasket just because of a little pinging. i wanted to be a porsche tech but i decided that there aren't enough porsche dealerships around and if i wanted to move, i couldn't.

sorry if i came off as a jerk telling everyone to take their cars to someone who will only charge them too much money for diagnosis; just think of this, $30 and some research on exhaust gasses and you could find out precisely whats going on in your combustion chamber. i'm just giving out my knowledge to save some money.
Old 09-02-2004, 07:09 PM
StupEd05
Pro

Alright, now im pissed off. I put the new Platinum plugs in, (kinda)new coil, (kinda)new wires, a new intake boot, and resealed and cleaned my injectors. Put it all together and now sometimes it starts, usually it will start after about 4 cranks. But when you crank it some cylinders will fire then some others and eventually it starts, WEIRD!!! As far as I could tell my spark plugs are pregapped, cause I see no way of changing the gap... or maybe im stupid! But its better than not starting at all like before
Old 09-02-2004, 08:06 PM
StupEd05
Pro

WOW, I checked my plugs and they were gapped for .040!!! So I regapped them to a little under .030 and she fired up perfectly! The weird thing is my old plugs had the exact same gapping of .040! How did it run before? Well, needless to say, Im happy!
Old 09-03-2004, 12:07 AM
DanG
Three Wheelin'

My old (copper single electrode) plugs were all .040-.045 or even more. Get them down to .030 and it purrs like a kitten.
Old 09-03-2004, 12:09 AM
StupEd05
Pro

well it purrs like a kitten for a while. Now it will run but it is stumbling pretty bad on acceleration.
Old 09-03-2004, 12:10 AM
StupEd05
Pro

especially once its warm.
Old 09-03-2004, 12:51 AM
StupEd05
Pro

DanG when you had the stumble problem, did it die when you gave it gas or just stumble? Cause mine will sometimes just stumble but if im not careful as soon as I put into 1st and go it dies.

Quick Reply: Hesitation problem again!