Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacement bukb for hella h4's?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2004, 12:23 PM
SKooT1027
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacement bukb for hella h4's?

I was wondering what type of bulbs I would need to replace a dying Hella H4 headlight. Can someone post some good bulbs and maybe a link or two to where to get em?
Old 08-28-2004, 12:26 PM
triscadek
Addict
Rennlist Member

2 words, PM Iceshark.
Old 08-28-2004, 02:57 PM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you have the stock wiring then you probably want to stick with 55/60 watt bulbs. But if you are daring you can try out 90/100 watt and hope your stock wiring and switches don't start on fire.

Tell me your age. In the legal 55/60 watt we have two choices, to make things very simple. Some Philips/Narva 30% boosted at $10 each or some Osram BiLux 50% at $18 each. You can search about what I have said about each. There have been many threads here on Rennlist. If you are under 40 I would probably go with the 50% BiLux if money is not an issue. If you are over 40, you probably want to go with the 30% as they have better side lighting to see kids or deer about to jump in front of you.

But if you really want to see well and go *****-to-the-wall here is what you do:

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...light=IceShark

Totally illegal in the USA, but doesn't bother other drivers, and you wouldn't believe how many police and military guys are running this on their personal cars. I have quite a long list.

The illegal USA parts are the lenses and bulbs. I use European Code Cibie lenses. These are legal in most of the world but not in the USA. Though they are legal for bikes in the USA, probably has something to do with a biker needing to see as good as he can because he is certainly behind the 8-Ball when on the road at night.

The 90/100 watt bulbs are just plain illegal and for off road use only. But when you run them in an E-Code lens, like the Cibie, and aim them properly there is no bother to other drivers.

Someone needs to change the lighting laws as the new HID arc lights are certainly throwing off more light than legal halogen bulbs.

Last edited by IceShark; 08-28-2004 at 03:29 PM.
Old 08-28-2004, 07:37 PM
SKooT1027
Pro

Alright.. well for your first question im 18. My eyes are still pretty good. Also, im used to my parents cars which have horrible headlights, so im sure anything will be a big improvement. I talked to the guy selling me the car, and he cant recall if theyre the legal ones or illegal ones. Ill send Tom a PM, its his bros car so he might know i think he helped w the install. All I know is the guy said theyre the Hella H4's from paragon (i think the $50 a piece ones). Of the 30% and 50% ones, do you find one better than the other .. like is the 50% one noticably better and worth the extra or not really?

Ive seen your crazy beams, and I wish i could afford them, but I gotta pay for the car and insurance on my own, so at my age I dont have too much cash left. They may come down the line, ill have to see.

I know you sell a lot of lighting stuff, do you sell the bulbs, or do you recommend a place to get them from? Also, do you have a website of all the stuff you sell? I feel like everyone knows about your items except for me.

Thx
Scott
Old 08-28-2004, 10:14 PM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Scott, you probably have the economy Hella E-Codes. The 70476 lenses, though that isn't printed on the lens face. You can't get the superior "Hella Supers" in the USA under normal conditions. Look at the face of the lens and tell me what is cast in the glass. If you have the Hella DOT VisionPlus, you have to throw them in the trash can. They are known as VisionMinus in the industry, for good reason.

Since you are a youngster, I'd go with the German Osram BiLux 55/60 H4 bulb. That would be $18 each plus $5 for the drop shipping as I'm going on vacation and can't put in a real bulb order that will get to me in time.

Now, you need to take a look at the lens faces and read what is there. If those faces have bad road rash (sand blasting) you also need to trash them. You could try and polish them up with the stuff astromomy guys use to make their own mirrors, but it probably isn't worth the effort. It takes a loooong time.
Old 08-28-2004, 11:06 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 117 Likes on 85 Posts

The lights are the hella H4 with the replaceable 55/60 watt bulb. they are legal for motorcycles. They throw the beam that arcs up at something like a 40 degree angle on the right.

the lenses are still good i think.

i have the legal hellas in the new S2 and agree with the vision minus statement. about as pathetic as the tiny square bulbs on the camaro, which unfortunately cannot be upgraded unless driving lights are put where the fogs are. unless you have a suggestion for that.

i guess scott is asking for the part number for the 55/60 watt bulb.

Dan, the right bulb all of a sudden is much dimmer than the left. could it be a dying bulb, or do you think it is something else. My brother and I dont want Scott to be in for unexpected surprises (imagine that, an honest guy selling a used car).
Old 08-29-2004, 01:10 AM
SKooT1027
Pro

honest used car saleman .. first one ive ever seen haha. Thx tom
Old 08-29-2004, 01:35 AM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Skooi, you obviously don't understand Rennlist.

Tom is a pretty good and honest guy. A Judge on some bench out there in NY.

I'll come out and shoot you dead as can be and see if I can get the case on Tom's docket. I'll probably spend the rest of my life in prison, but I would know Tom did a good judging job.
Old 08-29-2004, 01:56 AM
SKooT1027
Pro

confusion...
Old 08-29-2004, 02:11 AM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

You called Tom a used car salesman. Your confusion is because you are drunk or dumb. Pick your choice.

I'll stand up here for the man. You are in serious water. nfg
Old 08-29-2004, 11:48 AM
SKooT1027
Pro

Ooh.. heh i know he isnt one.. i was kidding around. I know what he does, ive met him and been talking to him a lot recently. He's just been helping me out a lot looking for a good car. It's all meant jokingly.. so i appreciate your concern but take it easy - no harm intended to anyone.
Old 08-29-2004, 01:00 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 117 Likes on 85 Posts

unbiased critic yes appraiser yes, salesman no. There is only one 944 salesman on this board. you guys better watch it or I may have to ask him to give me back my plaid blazer and polyester trousers.
Old 08-29-2004, 01:27 PM
SKooT1027
Pro

Quick Reply: Replacement bukb for hella h4's?