Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

my headlights suck!

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2004, 12:33 AM
pearldrum944
Drifting

Received 73 Likes on 14 Posts
Thumbs down my headlights suck!

Okay, I just got back from a drive where it was raining some, more of a "wet sprinkle". I couldn't see sh*t on certain roads! The Iceshark kit is too expensive right now and I was wondering if any local places like autopart stores would have anything better? I am leaving for college in less than a week and definitely want something better. As long as it is noticeably better than stock...I'm not really expecting anything like Iceshark's cannons.
Old 08-21-2004, 12:36 AM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Lubricate the motor mechanism, this should help:

http://www.clarks-garage.com/shop-manual/body-22.htm
Old 08-21-2004, 12:38 AM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The hella H4 kit is popular and around $60.
I remember seeing it in the performance products catalog, but you could probably find it somewhere else. Try paragon.
Old 08-21-2004, 12:42 AM
pearldrum944
Drifting

Originally Posted by hosrom_951
Lubricate the motor mechanism, this should help:

http://www.clarks-garage.com/shop-manual/body-22.htm
Old 08-21-2004, 12:43 AM
pearldrum944
Drifting

Originally Posted by adrial
The hella H4 kit is popular and around $60.
I remember seeing it in the performance products catalog, but you could probably find it somewhere else. Try paragon.
From what I've seen H4 is the way to go, I'll have to look around, thanks.
Old 08-21-2004, 12:43 AM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

People will flame, but you know on ebay those lights they sell for like tons of cars, that say they are brighter, and maybe say they are blue or whatever, they were brighter than my stock range rover ones.. and are probably brighter than the stock porsche ones.... Just don't tell anyone you bought 20.00 blue lights off of ebay.
Old 08-21-2004, 01:26 AM
pearldrum944
Drifting

Originally Posted by yieldsign2
People will flame, but you know on ebay those lights they sell for like tons of cars, that say they are brighter, and maybe say they are blue or whatever, they were brighter than my stock range rover ones.. and are probably brighter than the stock porsche ones.... Just don't tell anyone you bought 20.00 blue lights off of ebay.
hmm...
What about these?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=33710
Old 08-21-2004, 01:40 AM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Pearl: What was i thinking???????/ im sorry for that increadibly stupid (i opend this post by mistake.........this SHOULD work now

http://www.9xauto.com/944hdlight.htm
Old 08-21-2004, 04:03 AM
v944god
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Our lights do suck, I can barely see anything at night let alone rain. I would go with Iceshark's lights but I'm at the stage where I don't feel like spending a dime more on any car.
Old 08-21-2004, 04:18 AM
86 951 Driver
Race Car

To tell you the truth I haven't changed the lights on the Porsche but from what I have heard stick with ths stock wattage just get some upgraded 55/60 watt bulbs from iceshark. Those lenses are ok I have a set similair to them on my neon. I didn't keep the blue bulbs though they are complete junk. Silverstars are good too. But the beam pattern is really what sucks on these car. So first get some lenses then get some better bulbs.
Old 08-21-2004, 09:43 AM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

Hey pearl, those are the lights I am talking about. I guess they used to be cheaper. But they were brighter than my stock range rover headlights, and I know the stock porsche ones were just as bad.

But for that price you may want to just do that h4 conversion someone mentioned...
Old 08-21-2004, 02:34 PM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by pearldrum944

The problem with the less expensive lights is that they are junk. And they won't last very long. Notice how they advertise that they are HID? Well, that is a bald face lie .... they are not HID arcs. You want to buy product from someone that is crooked? What else is wrong with them? The "composit" construction means that they will fall apart or melt. The rear reflector is probably made out of cow dung they picked up in the field next to them in India. Just plain 'ole junk which you wiill find out quick enough if you buy them.

If you want to do this cheap, go get some new sealed beams at the auto store. They won't be the greatest but they will be better than your old ones. Don't spend over $20 for the pair. Then when you can afford good lenses you won't feel so guilty tossing them away.

What happens with your old sealed beams is that the tungsten filament off gases tungsten that lands on and sticks to the lens face. You usually can't see it with the naked eye but it is there acting as a filter. So toss the old lenses and get cheap replacements and you should be in better shape. Not the greatest but you want to do this for cheap and that is what you are stuck with unless you want to get into the hundred dollar range.
Old 08-21-2004, 02:52 PM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by IceShark
The problem with the less expensive lights is that they are junk. And they won't last very long. Notice how they advertise that they are HID? Well, that is a bald face lie .... they are not HID arcs. You want to buy product from someone that is crooked? What else is wrong with them? The "composit" construction means that they will fall apart or melt. The rear reflector is probably made out of cow dung they picked up in the field next to them in India. Just plain 'ole junk which you wiill find out quick enough if you buy them.

If you want to do this cheap, go get some new sealed beams at the auto store. They won't be the greatest but they will be better than your old ones. Don't spend over $20 for the pair. Then when you can afford good lenses you won't feel so guilty tossing them away.

What happens with your old sealed beams is that the tungsten filament off gases tungsten that lands on and sticks to the lens face. You usually can't see it with the naked eye but it is there acting as a filter. So toss the old lenses and get cheap replacements and you should be in better shape. Not the greatest but you want to do this for cheap and that is what you are stuck with unless you want to get into the hundred dollar range.

I agree and disagree. I know the quality isn't good of those units on ebay. BUT, I got mine for 17.99 when I got them for the range rover.. and it was a worth it just to see if there was any difference. Used them for about a year. No problems, brighter than stock. That is the only reason I advised to look into that. Like i said, for 35.00 , I would just go up to that 60.00 H4 kit someone mentioned. Although I did not try going to NEW sealed beams from local parts store.
Old 08-21-2004, 02:56 PM
pearldrum944
Drifting

I think these are the ones that were mentioned by adrial. I found hella h4's from paragon for $50. Are these good?
http://www.paragon-products.com/Head...ella_70477.htm
Old 08-21-2004, 03:19 PM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Devon, the off gas of tungsten is a big deal and is why the halogen gas mix was invented. It captures the tungsten atoms and usually deposits them back on the filament. Doesn't work 100%, though, so you get some coating on the glass.

PIAA takes advantage of this and uneducated customers to try and sell their bulbs as being better and charge $75 for a pair of junk bulbs. Never compare an old bulb with a new one. And if a headlight bulb burns out, replace both of them. The working one is about to fail and has put on a tungsten layer so thick that you may as well junk it. I don't work for Philips/Narva or Osram/Sylvania - that is just the facts of life.

Once you get off $20 as the price point, you may as well go all the way and do it right. Though, I tend to build things that will take the 10,000 year storm so you have to keep that in mind.

Quick Reply: my headlights suck!