Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mounting radar detector above rear view mirror

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2004, 04:04 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Mounting radar detector above rear view mirror

I know this would be fairly simply to do, id would most likely build my own custom bracket for it, but what im wondering is, has anyone done this and had it affect the performance of the detector? I could see this happening if there were tinting at the top of the windshield, but 944s dont have this as far as ive seen...

Edit: Wondering a lot about rear detection differences... I think front should remain the samel...

Last edited by theedge; 08-18-2004 at 04:21 PM.
Old 08-18-2004, 05:21 PM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

According to the V1 instructions manual, the detector needs an open backwards path to locate signals behind the car.

I don't think the position you suggest is optimal, given that the curvature of the 944 roof would limit the rear field considerably.

Instead, there's a diagram in the manual that has the detector positioned just to the left of the rearview mirror, which is what I do.
Old 08-18-2004, 08:43 PM
Don 944 LA
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have mine positioned on the dash-left side, just above the drivers vent by the door.
It has the suction cups on the glass and just rests on the dash.
It has a clear shot of the rear and the wipers do not obstruct it.
Basically radar bounces and has a rather wide beam, it's the laser that you need a clear shot. Try not to put it behind anything metal.

oh, mines not the V1
Old 08-18-2004, 08:47 PM
v944god
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've seen V1 displays built into the rear view mirror.
Old 08-18-2004, 10:00 PM
Randy_J
Three Wheelin'

edge - just get it on top of the dash - don't mount it high - cops shoot for the front bumber / grill / plate area.

http://www.radarbusters.com/support/...detector/2.asp

I use a little swatch of velcro to anchor it on top of the dash and it works perfectly just above the vents - yep, even behind the WS wipers. Besides, the cops cannot see it hanging off the windshield and it is easy to hide when parked. I can get a really good "hit" from front and back - awesome really on my Bel 985.

Google 'radar detector reviews' and read on.
Old 08-18-2004, 10:13 PM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

"Detector performance is enhanced by a high mounting position. Two reasons. For radar, a longer sight line to the horizon always helps. For laser, moving away from the hood and its sun reflections helps a lot." (V1 Instructions Manual)

Manual says to mount it higher, rather than lower, without obstructing rearward view. When I'm spending $400 on a radar detector, I think I'll follow the instructions manual rather than hearsay. Just my $0.02.
Old 08-18-2004, 10:23 PM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

By the time you get a laser reading it's too late in almost all cases. I just velcro mine on the dash.
Old 08-18-2004, 10:31 PM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I did that on my truck and hard-wired the power by means of a wire running up the windshield pillar and then above the headliner, then down right above the mirror. Very clean looking install and it turns the detector on automatically upon engine start. I imagine it would be very easy to do something similar on the 944.
Old 08-18-2004, 10:56 PM
Randy_J
Three Wheelin'

a. Unlike radio and TV signals, which are omni-directional and transmitting at a 360-degree circle, a police radar beam is VERY NARROW. Ka-band radar guns have a as little as a 9-degree beam!

b. If your detector is mounted too high, it can defeat laser detection. Officers are trained to place the laser beam square on the front plates. The higher your detector, the more distance it is from the front plate. Because the beam is so narrow (at 1,000 feet, its only a three-foot-square box!), your detector will be positioned too high to sense it.

I just find it a LOT easier to adjust topside controls when it is on the dash and the 985 gives very good signal hits on my 951 - maybe it's the detector, but it did not seem to make any difference up high or on the dash. I also like the fact that oncoming cops cannot easily spot the unit hanging on the WS or see it coming up from behind. So maybe it's best to try your detector high, low, left, center, right sides.
Old 08-18-2004, 11:19 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

I guess ill stick to dashboard... I dunno, that spot always just annoyed me for some reason... Thanks guys.

Edit: And this will just be a cheapo detector. I cant possibly justify a paycheque on something as frivious and rarely truly used as a high end radar detector.
Old 08-18-2004, 11:26 PM
Randy_J
Three Wheelin'

hey edge - we can check it all out at the end of the month - see who picks up the radar hits earlier on that long drive Travis is putting together. Cops should be out in force just looking to pick us off when the word gets out that 25+ Porsches are cruising past their towns!!! Both ways too!
Old 08-18-2004, 11:30 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Randy_J
hey edge - we can check it all out at the end of the month - see who picks up the radar hits earlier on that long drive Travis is putting together. Cops should be out in force just looking to pick us off when the word gets out that 25+ Porsches are cruising past their towns!!! Both ways too!
True true!

I hope for your sake your detector beats the $130ish one ill prolly end up buying
Old 08-20-2004, 07:31 AM
adrian_jaye
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

edge - just get it on top of the dash - don't mount it high - cops shoot for the front bumber / grill / plate area.

I use a little swatch of velcro to anchor it on top of the dash and it works perfectly just above the vents - yep, even behind the WS wipers. Besides, the cops cannot see it hanging off the windshield and it is easy to hide when parked. I can get a really good "hit" from front and back - awesome really on my Bel 985.

Google 'radar detector reviews' and read on.
cheers good site !

BTW,
the "radar stealth paint" thats a bit suspect ???????
Old 08-20-2004, 10:05 AM
Bryan Welch
Instructor

It's not difficult to wire the power source into the dome light so the connector is just above the visor or mirror. That makes it much easier to hook the detector up as well as making it less obvious.

Mounting it on the glass above the mirror works for me.
Old 08-20-2004, 10:07 AM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

I just find it a LOT easier to adjust topside controls when it is on the dash and the 985 gives very good signal hits on my 951 - maybe it's the detector, but it did not seem to make any difference up high or on the dash. I also like the fact that oncoming cops cannot easily spot the unit hanging on the WS or see it coming up from behind. So maybe it's best to try your detector high, low, left, center, right sides.
So, how does your detector pick up signals behind you when its stuck to the dashboard? Does it have X-ray capability?

Quick Reply: Mounting radar detector above rear view mirror