Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What do you love about your Porsche?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2004, 01:10 AM
Scuba Steve
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Even though I haven't been able to drive it yet, after I cleaned it all up it's sometimes fun to just go sit in for awile. And it's not hard to work on either - there's plenty of room in that engine bay after you clear out a couple of large parts!
Old 08-21-2004, 10:04 AM
boston951
Addict
Rennlist Member

The performance as mentioned, but moreover the "road feel." I have driven several exotics over the years and nothing compares to the feedback of the 951.

I guess that I am a bit shallow as well, because I also enjoy getting looks from drivers in $60K plus newer rides. And then there are the times that these poor drivers and I meet on the highway.... The looks on their faces as I fly by are priceless.
Old 08-21-2004, 11:15 AM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

The feel, the distinctiveness, the handling, the sound, the knowledge that it's truly MINE; that I'm not one of the millions of generic-looking SUVs, Honda Civics or Toyota Camrys on the road.

They're also easy to work on and I have NO FEAR of rust, for the first time on any vehicle I've ever owned. Overall, very well made. A couple of things could be better admittedly (like the procedure for changing a clutch or oil pan), but overall terrific cars.
Old 08-21-2004, 12:36 PM
pete944
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by AndyK
Aside from the obvious handling and fun aspect, I like the fact that I own a $10k car (plus or minus) that gets constant looks and stares from people with $70k cars! Sure, I'm shallow!
Andy, that's not shallow!
Personally I love watching people snap their neck to get a look at the car as I drive by.
I love the fact that a car that cost me less than one fourth the price of a new car can do that.
I love the solidity and the fact that after 15 years there is still not one square millimeter of rust anywhere on the car while many cars of the same vintage have disintegrated long ago.
I love it that the kid at McDonalds thought it was a $50,000 car.
I love the way that 10 minutes behind the wheel can make me forget about any problems in life.
There's more but I need to go out to the garage and look at my car.
Old 08-21-2004, 01:57 PM
Joe Anstett
Racer

Originally Posted by theedge
<Re changing plugs on a Camaro> Half them are basically under the dashboard.
Ive heard of a few techniques...
1) Lay on the engine, ram your arm under there, and do it totally by feel with a bunch of extensions, universal joints, etc.
2) Drop the engine
3) Leave the engine in place, but "raise the body off the frame" or something similar...

Just what ive heard.
The 4th gen cars (93-97, 98-02) are almost a front mid-engine design and the motor (LT1, LS1) is very far back in the bay, and the cars are "cab forward" with the long front window and sloped a-pillar. The 7 and 8 cylinders are impossible to get at without dropping the motor out.

On the other hand, at least with the LS1 you only have to change the plugs every 100k miles. I changed mine once at around 40,000 to put in better plugs, and it didn't cost $1000 from what I can remember, though it is harder than on a Honda.

----------------------------

What do I love about my Porsche? The handling. The way it fits like a glove and feels perfect. That German "musk" smell after 20 years. The feel of the wheel in my hands in a turn on a country road, the go-cart feel in hairpin turns. Looking at the rear view mirror and seeing those "hips". Feeling the turbo kick in. The feel of the shifter in my hand. The wait for "the wave" from another p-car owner -- the joy of getting one first.

I do find it interesting that people make judements about you for driving a Porsche, however. My boss has a $40k+ Lexus SUV and he's always commenting about it, jealously. Most of the people who give me nasty, jealous looks are driving much more expensive cars, if they only knew.

Last edited by Joe Anstett; 08-21-2004 at 02:26 PM.
Old 08-21-2004, 05:29 PM
Whitt944
Always Wears Protection
Rennlist Member

I love the fact I can drive a Porsche and still be able to talk to my young Marines about wisely spending money and ensuring a high dollar expenditure will hold it's value.
Old 08-21-2004, 06:00 PM
Sami951
Drifting

I love the fact that I can take my almost 20 years old car to the track, drive it around like a madman, going faster than pretty much anybody else - and then cruise back home when I'm done.
Old 08-21-2004, 06:11 PM
hoffman912
The Hoffinator
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts

i love that she is relaitively simple to work on an maintain
i love that she takes me on great adventures and has given me memories that will last a life time
i love the looks and nods and complements i get from others
i get the biggest kick when little kids look at her and smile and you can see them mouth through the car window of the parents car "wow wht a pretty car!"

i love the way she handels, i love the way she drives. she fits me like a glove, and her personality matches mine to a t.

i sometimes still have to pinch myself 6 years later.. i cant believe she is all mine
Old 08-21-2004, 08:41 PM
SkippyCrunchySmooth
Advanced

I simply love everything about my car. The simplicity of design, the handling, power, speed, style, and the way it fits so perfectly that it feels like it was custom built just for me. I love that no one but me has touched the internals of my car since I've owned it. I even love the feel of the wear patterns in the leather of the original steering wheel. I have yet to drive a car with more character. It makes me wish those with lesser cars knew what they were missing.
Old 08-21-2004, 09:21 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

i like spending alot of money! hehe.

and leaving people behind in the corners.
Old 08-21-2004, 09:26 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 105 Likes on 78 Posts

Joe,
Better clean up that engine compartment. It should look something like this when it is eleven years old.

Old 08-21-2004, 09:28 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Oh and one more thing. After riding in a Kia Magentis for 800+ KM between yesterday and today... I LOVE THE SEATS IN MY 951.
Old 08-21-2004, 10:21 PM
pearldrum944
Drifting

Received 73 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by theedge
Oh and one more thing. After riding in a Kia Magentis for 800+ KM between yesterday and today... I LOVE THE SEATS IN MY 951.
Yeah, The seats in the '44s are great! When I reupholstered my seats I added some extra foam and they are great...

Quick Reply: What do you love about your Porsche?