Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oops... Anybody in CO have a 924s phone dial

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2004, 02:01 AM
dmont
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oops... Anybody in CO have a 924s phone dial

I can’t believe how stupid I am. Couple nights ago I slid into a curb and busted off about 8 inches of the right rear wheel around where the tire bead seals. Thankfully I think that’s the only damage. Everything looks straight and it drove just fine with the spare on.

Here’s what happened. I let my friend drive my car for a little while because he hadn’t driven any car in probably 2 years and it was the last night before he went back to college. So he drives it carefully and slowly around and we end up at some deserted business park where he stops and I was going to get back in and take him home. Then I got the great idea, “this is a great place to maybe do a couple power slides and mess around a little.”

I was just planning on going around the facility once and then leaving. I go around a 90 corner feather the throttle to the point of almost full in first and nothing. Not a chirp or a screech. Back end didn’t budge. Keep on accelerating got into second was going probably about 45 around more of the sweeping right corner and all of the sudden the back just snapped out and I guess I overcorrected and right rear slammed into the curb on the inside of the corner. The road was no wider than a normal street. Crap. On top of it all my car had no flashlight, no tire iron, no compressor. Just the spare and the jack. Oh well, time to give mom and dad a 1 am call.

What went wrong:
1. I’m an idiot.
2. I had a few beers about 3 hours before this happened. There’s no way I was probably even close to 0.08 but they sure didn’t help. I’m sure they contributed to my wanting to impress my friend idea.
3. I think I have really horrible tires. There some no names with a decent amount of tread but who knows how old they are. I sure they were pretty cheap. I’m drawing this conclusion from a couple of things. First the never make a sound. Most tires give some warning before the break traction. Good tires will scream before the break. Awhile before this incident I took a tight turn fairly slow in second and just floored it just before the apex just to see if I could get to squeal. Silent. But after the turn when I straightened out and let off, the back end squirmed a little the it was just hooking back up. Could have I been just minutely sliding…silently, I don’t know. Also when I open it up should I be getting a chirp in third when shifting with the clutch all the way in and with the gas let off. I’m shifting fast, I don’t know maybe I’m not letting off as much as I think, its definitely not bouncing off the rev limiter while I shifting though. I’ve was running fairly light on gas, around a ¼ of a tank, on different instances on different streets.

I’m not trying to blame my tires, It was mostly my bad judgment.

Anyway I’m in need of a stock 924s phone dial. The part number is 944.362.102.00 . They are 15 X 6 in.

What can I expect to pay for one?

Shipping of a wheel is kind of out of my budget unless someone wants to practically give me a wheel. Even a wheel locally might be too expensive. I don’t know. I might just sell the other 3 and buy some other inexpensive ones or maybe just buy a steel rim and paint the other 3 black (probably the cheapest way). What can I say I’m a poor college student, I’m going to be junior and I still have to live at home! Thanks for your help and input. Sorry this post got so long, I don’t know if anybody really cares.
Old 08-17-2004, 09:15 AM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

i would pm chris924s, i think he has one extra one! If not i have a whole set w/ new bridgstone potenza re950's but i doubt you would want a whole set.

Quick Reply: Oops... Anybody in CO have a 924s phone dial