Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Someone I work with has Porsche envy....

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2004, 03:51 PM
UDPride
Thinking outside da' bun...
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 470 Likes on 242 Posts

Pete you shoulda said,

"Jesus kid, I said they werent that expensive, but get serious. This is high end exotic supercar."
Old 08-16-2004, 04:03 PM
Russian Rocket
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm a big time VW fan/owner.... but man do those MK4 fanboys with their Eurosnob attitude give us a bad name. GTIs are great cars for daily driving and traveling but in no way they are overall performance machines. Some ppl that buy them think it's the best thing since sliced bread because it's German... Tell you friend that $1000 Civic SI will handle him his **** in corners no mattter how much he paid for it. 1.5 years ago my GTI was making around 300whp (APR Stage 3)and stomped on nearly everything in its path, but only in straight line. it was fun to smoke a vette in a Golf but in no way rewarding, because it got ironical when corners came up I've returned GTI back to stock since i bought a Miata which is a real all-around sports car and is 100X more rewarding to drive. GTI is a comfortable, sporty daily driver and i think you friend is just joshing you pickle trying to show that he can Afford to spend more money on transportation appliance than you do. It reminds me of time when my fellow fireman bought a 03 CObra and was $#%#@%@ left and right about me being gay in my Miata. After some spirited runs through the twisties he has now grown new respect for a little $3K bugger that imbarassed his $34K macho machhine

p.s. BTW dryer hose intake mod works the BEST on 1.8T due to perfect airbox design, it looks like crap but it is dyno proven better than most intakes.
Old 08-16-2004, 04:25 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I had 1.8T GTI mark IV. It was my daily driver. Nice car good gas milage. Comfortable ride and good space

Sports car... Ha no way!

Nice comfortable car with sporty feel sure. Heck I tried to autocross it once. I got a flat right front tire and it had more understeer than you can imagine.

Even a 20 year old 944 will handle better. That said I liked the car for what it was.

I too could not stand to hang out on VW boards. Too many punks.
Old 08-16-2004, 05:37 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 944pete
The kid at McDonalds this morning thought I must be rich to have a Porsche. I told him that these cars aren't that expensive. He said " How much was that? $45 or 50K?" I about died laughing.
I wish I had pics of some of the expressions I get when I tell them how much my car cost AFTER the import costs.

If I told them how much the car itself cost... Some of those people would have started crying I bet
Old 08-16-2004, 07:23 PM
Jack '84 928s
Drifting

I get this same crap with my 928, "porsche envy" I was telling my friend how some stuff needed fixing on it and he tells me its junk and i should just get rid of it. So i ask him will your cavalier run after 20 years? And he shut the hell up.. Then proceedes to tell me he wouldnt want his car in 20years.... mhmmmm..

Another one of my friends bought a 1984 beater corvette for 1800$ his brother told me how he vette will smoke my porsche... I think i may prove him wrong on that one..
Old 08-16-2004, 09:17 PM
Ric_Porsche
Instructor

The bottom line is this, you own a porsche he doesn't ... end of ****ing story. He is JEALOUS.
Old 08-18-2004, 05:24 AM
kennycoulter
Drifting

you and i shouldnt race on the street, but ive even beaten stingray(70s-early 80s) vettes when i still had my trans with no third gear. i get tons of people looking at my car. not as much in columbus as the other places ive lived.....theres tons here. the only people that kinda down my 944 are my roomate who makes fun of me because im always doing something to one of my cars, and asking for help on his pos concorde, and also people who talk to me like theyre interested then act like they know about cars and bring up 911s. " shoulda bought a 911." i say beat the crap out of the guy.
Old 08-20-2004, 03:57 AM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I found out today after riding in a NEW civic SI, that my 17 year old 924S is a better sports car than that rice rocket. don't get me wrong. the guy with the SI is a classy and all around good guy, but his taste in car is a lil off. He tore *** out of a parking lot with me in shotgun. Well, needless to say, going around corners scared the hell outa me. Not to mention, it really didn't seem all that fast. I'd put $50.00 on my car on the track. Especially once I get my air/fuel mixture set to where it needs to be...

I've yet to put the sign on this guys GTI, but when I do, there will be pictures...

Quick Reply: Someone I work with has Porsche envy....