Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why did you buy a porsche? What's your story?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2004, 09:48 PM
Ric_Porsche
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Why did you buy a porsche? What's your story?

Mine is simple. When I was a kid my dad took me to work sometimes with him. There was a guy named Frank who worked with my dad. He drove a 924. This was the very first time I had ever seen a Porsche. I fell in love with the car. Now some many years later I own my first Porsche as I told myself that when I got older and reached a certain point I would have to have one. Now there is no turning back. No question I am going to start to build a collection and look to buy one per year of all differnt models (only those from the 80s and older) Just curious what moment was it for you that you knew from that very second that you would be driving a Porsche one day?
Old 08-13-2004, 10:03 PM
pearldrum944
Drifting

Received 73 Likes on 14 Posts

I had seen 944s and thought that they were cool looking cars, I didn't think I would be able to afford one as a first car though. I mean come on it's a porsche! But one day when I was 14, I was riding bikes with a friend and we found a POS 944 behind a used car dealership. I knew right then that I would make this car mine. My dad and I bought it maybe 6 months later. We are now over 3 years in on the restore and I am almost done (if there is such a thing).
Old 08-13-2004, 10:15 PM
J Berk
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Dad kept pictures of his 60's cars...including a 356 cabriolet....that started it for me!.....lusted after P-cars all the way through college......got married and got a job which furnished a company vehicle.....so I had it and my wife's car and not one of my own.....when I got a little cash and decided to start looking for an inexpensive ( little did I know! ) sports car for some weekend fun ( I was looking for a 280zx...as I had previously owned 2 ) I got a call from Dad...his PCA member buddy had a friend who had this slightly beatup 944 sitting beside his barn in LI, NY ....had not started it in 3 years...and wanted to get rid of it....

So $1200 later, I bought it sight-unseen and had it flat bedded to my dad's mechanic....where it ate another $1100 ( T-belt, waterpump, starter, alternator, battery and a few other odds and ends).....and here I am!

PS - Dad had just bought his 944......and shortly thereafter...his second ( since childhood) 356!
Old 08-13-2004, 10:23 PM
slowazzporsche
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well my first car was a 911, bought it for my 19th birthday... I always wanted one, to me.. the looks of the 911's (the early models pre-water-cooled) has got to be the sexiest car ever. The reason for the 944 was I couldn't afford another 911, I wanted the handling that the porsche had to offer and I wanted an abundant and easy to maintain car.. thus.. the n/a
Old 08-13-2004, 10:35 PM
CJF
Advanced

I'm working my way through the alphabet and arrived at P. (Q is going to be a toughie)

--Jody
Old 08-13-2004, 10:55 PM
Dilberto
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts
Default Why I Bought A Porsche

My family were always huge fans of F1 racing. My dad traveled the world, following this sport. When I was of driving age- we saw the first pre-production 951, at the Hockenheimring, in August 1985. It was love at first sight. The owner of the Turbo- a Porsche engineer named Hans Metzger- was nice enough to let me sit inside it, and start it up too. The exhaust sound is really what got me hooked. Ever since this experience, I have been following the prices of this car- hoping one would be within my reach. My dad owned a 1981 911 SC and a 1993 928S4. He bought a 951 shortly after the release of it in the USA. After driving it- it was perfectly clear I had to have one for myself. Although I am still looking for my Copenhagen Blue 1986 951- I am in no hurry to get just any one. My search has lasted almost two years, and the only thing that gets my Porsche fix addressed is my 1986 Stone Grey Metallic 944 NA, which I just recently rebuilt, with a Euro-spec 1983 block, and pistons.(see avatar)

Zach
Old 08-14-2004, 12:15 AM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

i was always into sports cars, muscle cars etc from my dads enthusiasm. After having some sports cars that lacked alittle in handling, i was helping my bud andy w/ his 944 paintjob and decided that it was time for me to have one. I bet him that he couldnt find someone to trade a harley for a 944, and the next day i had a call from arkansas from a guy who would trade. The rest is history.
Old 08-14-2004, 12:35 AM
Dave in Chicago
Rennlist Member

Received 269 Likes on 174 Posts

Always wanted a 944, kept an old fold-out add from a magazine on the wall of the garage with my picture pasted in the seating position. That picture hung there for 12 years before I bought my 944 four years ago.

At that time, I just needed fresh transportation. Found these were inexpensive to buy and AMAZINGLY well-supported by Web Rings and THIS list. So, found one and became seduced. Then I took it to the track and a big monkey climbed onto my back.

I will now always own a Porsche in some form. It's really tough to drive anything else on a day-to-day basis.

Met and exceeded all of my expectations.
Old 08-14-2004, 01:51 AM
Rock
Lazer Beam Shooter
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Dan i saw you on your harley in your Yahoo profile

My first Porsche memory was in the one I have now. The first time I saw it, it was sitting at my other house (my soon to be stepdad's house back then). It was sitting in a garage that was surrounded by trash. Id never seen so many garbage bags in my life. There were garbage bags all around the car and starting to pile on top of it. I didnt care about it then, I was only 12. The name "Porsche" meaned just as much to me as Toyota or Saturn. That is until I stopped playing video games and went and made friends.

BTW- The garage door that it was behind was a really flimsy almost plastic door. It served as a target for my step brothers BB gun. That is why the antenna is shot.
Old 08-14-2004, 04:58 AM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My dad restored a 914 when he was young. Id always wanted a Porsche of my own. I settled on the 944 series because I always thought they looked awsome. In general I wanted a Porsche because I didnt want to be yet another kid in some POS Civic. I also wanted something that handles really well, is RWD, well balanced, and DIFFERENT. Pretty much I was looking for a car that I could buy knowing id be very happy to still own 6+ years down the road. I should have bought a Civic or something as my first car, but I knew even though it would be mine, id never really TRULY *care* about the car. But the Porsche is my baby so to speak, and I love owning it despite the extra costs involved. Driving it makes it worth it
Old 08-14-2004, 06:25 AM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

When I was really young, back in 86 or 87, my mom put up a framed poster of a black 944 turbo. I stared at that car for 10 years not knowing or really caring what the hell kind of car it was. 10 years later, I read Waletail's propaganda at porsches.com and I was absolutley HOOKED on Porsches from then on. Shortly after, I got Porsche Unleashed and learned about all the other Porsches too. Got my 944t two years ago, and despite all the cash I've thrown at it, I don't regret buying it at all. I'm gonna keep it till it dies and then rebuild it or get another one.
Old 08-14-2004, 07:24 AM
Clint's 944
Burning Brakes

Ahhhh.....1980 stationed in Germany, dad decided to bring the "wagon" over. We are on the autobahn and myself, being young, was well impressed that Dad was doing 90mph!!! Low and behold, a black car flew by us and my face flattened against the glass....it was a 911. Needless to say from that moment on I was hooked to all things Porsche!!! But I never seemed to ever obtain one. Then I had the absolute worse two years of my life!!! I was laid off from my job, then went through a divorce to only get laid off from the next job... to having to sell my house to get by!! So, I saw my red 944, loved it from first glance......and bought it with the last bit of money I had. Now, I have a good job and a great girlfriend.....Porsche, there truly is no substitute!!!
Old 08-14-2004, 10:15 AM
Joe Anstett
Racer

I always lusted after sports cars, but my family never had any cool cars. They get as excited by cars as by a toaster. So my youth was car hell I always admired Porsches but thought they would be way out of reach, too exotic.

And besides, I come from the Ferrari/Jaguar long hood, big displacement school of thought...

So then at 30 I had finally had enough of responsible hatchbacks and family sedans and I finally got a sports car/muscle car, a Trans Am, and started racing.

Then last year I went to Pocono Speedway to get into time trials and saw a guy wreck his brand new S4. "Hmmm, I better get a track car and not wreck my daily driver", I thought to myself. As I walked back to my car I saw a row of 924/944s lined up in the pits, and the gears started turning. Hmmmm... Great handling, relatively cheap (to buy), solidly built...

Just so happened a friend of a friend had a 951 that he could no longer afford (money or time wise) with his new kid. A little neglected but in great shape. The deal was done.

I've spent the past year fixing/restoring/upgrading this car. I LOVE it. I love driving it. It's supposed to be a track beast but it's too nice to strip and cage. So it has some upgrades but it's staying stock in appearance. Did I mention I love driving this car?
Old 08-14-2004, 11:57 AM
BeerBurner
Unbannable
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 44 Posts

Because I asked a cute blonde out and she shot me down.

Ok, so that's not the entire story... I had always loved Porsches, although early on, most of my lusting focused around 911s and 914s. I even found the '74 911 that my dad would end up buying back in '88. I learned how to drive in that car, and even took my driver's test in it. I had always wanted a Porsche of my own, but like others said, I never thought I could afford one.

Fast forward to 2000. There was this girl I was interested in, and like I said, she shot me down. Licking my wounds, I decided to do online searches for cars to buy. It was one of those "What could I get for under $5k?" deals. When I ran the search on Porsche, I got a lot of 944s. Intrigued, I broadened my search up to $10k, did some research and test drove a couple models. I was hooked, and bought the 944 that I currently have.

So, yeah, I'll be honest. I used to be a 911-is-the-only-true-Porsche type individual, right up to the point where I realized that I could actually afford a 944. After driving it, I was sold. And to this day, I still prefer driving the 944 to the 911. Even when I babysat my stepmom's '86 Carrera for ten months, I still preferred the 944.

BB.
Old 08-14-2004, 12:38 PM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine is pretty simple, but there is a lot of info as I tend to pontificate.

My Dad was always a car nut, and has always had a "toy". It Started with a Cougar Eliminator convert (Indy 500 pace car) Karmann Ghia's, Beetles, a 67 Renault Caravelle thet we restored in the garage for 3 years (leaded bodywork!), and one day he picked me up in his first "new" toy. a 1977 Zermatt 924 with Pascha interior. The moment we went over some known bad RR tracks at 70mph and became airborne I knew I had to have one one day... I think I cried the day he sold it for a 86 Indy Fiero.

Fast forward to 1984. My brother bought a lime green 914-6, found rust and decided to have it repaired (My brother is NOT a hands-on car guy) During the restoration he located a 72 Guards 911 Targa he couldnt live without. He drove and enjoyed them both , but was unable to continually put the mechanic's kids throu college on his paltry policeman's salary..

Fast forward again to February 1996. I ws looking for another vehicle to occupy the 3rd spot in the garage that was now empty fro the sale of my 1978 Mustang II. I still had the 88 Mustang GT convert, It was a daily driver but terrible in winter conditions. I want over to my Best friend's Dad's house and we were going to work on his POS Volvo, it needed a coil and starter. It was parked "out back" on thier farmette next to a secondary garage. I asked him "What's in there, some farm equipment?" he said, "No, it's my Dad's Porsche. He wont title it as I have twin 16YO sisters and he's afraid of joyrides., They have already totalled 2 vehicles!" We opened the garage and there it was. Dusty, dirty but in overall good condition. 1988 Guards/black 924S with 80K miles. Needless to say, I asked if I could drive it. We fired it up after sitting for 5 years, drove out to the gas station for a fresh fill of premium and I was amazed on how well it ran for sitting so long. We got back to the house and hes asked me how soon I wanted it. My reply was simply "today". He had taken it in on a partial trade on a yacht (He was a luxury boat dealer as well) and after taking delivery from the original owner it was garaged and left.

It was in my garage undergoing rubber parts replacement, electrical gremlin removal and a variety of new parts added during it's occasionally run "3rd car" duty". It got licensed, titled and insured in April 1996 and I've been driving it daily since the Mustang threw a rod early that summer.

I have never looked back. As Danny would say- the rest, is history.

Quick Reply: Why did you buy a porsche? What's your story?