Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to Naca or Scoop?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2004 | 12:21 PM
Dalilean
Instructor

Default How to Naca or Scoop?

modification to my 83' 944 NA, I plan to include an air intake over the air filter. The idea is to ram air on to the filter directly from the outside avoiding the warm air from the radiator. My 2 options are:

a.NACA Duct. Avoid altering the smooth aero of the car and ducting air straight through the hood on to the filter.
b.Hood scoop. (Edit. I now used SCOOP and not SCOPE) A lower version of the GT scoop, pushing air on to the filter.

On both cases I am considering keeping the air box, cutting the top and sealing against the hood, and just cutting the duct/scoop right over it. I just have 1 mayor problem.

How the Hell do I keep the filter from getting wet when it rains? The hood scoop will allow some protection since the NACA duct will work as a channel, but the NACA duct is so much cooler.
Can anyone that has done these mods explain.
Old 08-13-2004 | 12:57 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

Your car already has the prefect set up right from the factory. The cold air comes from the drivers side fender in the front, routes thru a tube and thru the filter. The radiator is not involved.

I don't think you will see much, if any, gains from what you want to do.

As far as "how", I don't have an answer for that, hopefully someone who is a pro at bodywork can help you.........

Jeremy
Old 08-13-2004 | 01:02 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

i saw a cool one at an autox, the guy made a fiberglass "naca" style duct and molded it into the top of the intake box. Then he just cut out a "naca" shaped hole in the hood right over the homemade duct in the box, so that it kinda stuck through alittle. Then he had a rubber seal around it. This way you dont have to mold anything into the hood, just cut it. I would say cut the hole in the hood then make the new one fit afterwards. BUt like tifo said, no real advantage besides the cool factor.
Old 08-13-2004 | 01:08 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

Originally Posted by xsboost90
i saw a cool one at an autox,.............<snip>
Um, would that be the "Deceptaporsche"? The one that also had parts from a Cadillac and a Z-28 bondo-ed onto it?
Old 08-13-2004 | 01:14 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

thats a lincoln and a z28 bondod onto it, but that scoop was pretty sweet.
Old 08-13-2004 | 01:20 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Cutting a hole in the hood to get air may actually get you less air. I read an article some years ago that discussed the "ram air" hoods on muscle cars. Turns out the aerodynamics of the car had the air flowing over the hood even at moderate speeds. The ram air was actually sucking air from a void.

With the advanced for 1975 wind tunnel testing the 924 got, unless you put the scoop in the same spot as the 924 race cars, you may just be sucking wind from a void.

Plus, if you are tracking the car, you will also have to take into consideration the air current from the rare car in front of you. The coldest, most dense air would probably be from where the air intake is now.

But, the scoops do look cool. Cool enough that Pontiac is retrofitting hoods with scoops to all 2004 GTOs. The dealer told me yesterday they are handling it like a recall to put scooped hoods on GTOs already in customers hands!
Old 08-13-2004 | 02:56 PM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

The 924 Carrera GT has a hood scoop set up for the intercooler. No problem when it rains, since it's aluminum, though. Note that its airbox is well sealed up.

Wouldn't mess with the 83 hood. Plenty more worthwhile items to spend money on.
Attached Images  
Old 08-13-2004 | 03:01 PM
Dalilean
Instructor

Originally Posted by xsboost90
i saw a cool one at an autox, the guy made a fiberglass "naca" style duct and molded it into the top of the intake box. Then he just cut out a "naca" shaped hole in the hood right over the homemade duct in the box, so that it kinda stuck through alittle. Then he had a rubber seal around it. This way you dont have to mold anything into the hood, just cut it. I would say cut the hole in the hood then make the new one fit afterwards. BUt like tifo said, no real advantage besides the cool factor.
I had a similar idea. I would leave the box filter but cut the top of. Around the edge, between the hood and the box, place a seal. This would leave the original intake while adding the cool factor.
Old 08-13-2004 | 03:06 PM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

FWIW, if too much water enters your AF sensor, your engine can hydrolock. I've known 944 owners to cut a hole half way down the plastic intake pipe to prevent water from accidentally being sucked into the airbox when driving in wet conditions.
Old 08-13-2004 | 03:15 PM
Dalilean
Instructor

Originally Posted by tifosiman
Um, would that be the "Deceptaporsche"? The one that also had parts from a Cadillac and a Z-28 bondo-ed onto it?
Are there pics anywhere?
Old 08-13-2004 | 04:27 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

Originally Posted by Dalilean
Are there pics anywhere?
No, I was too scared. I was afraid it would morph into a giant robot and kill us all.
Old 08-13-2004 | 10:37 PM
kennycoulter
Drifting

yeah i wanna see pictures of this. does he go all the time to the auto crosses? is it done tastefully?
Old 08-13-2004 | 11:20 PM
slowazzporsche
Racer

i reccomend just a K+N.. if you go with cone-styles you'll draw all that hot air in and atually lose power, exhaust and intake won't fetch you much with n/a's.. I know, you want your fix? do the gears in your rear-end and do the cams!

Quick Reply: How to Naca or Scoop?