Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch chatter; What's going on?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2004, 09:55 PM
Mark Hubley
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Clutch chatter; What's going on?

I did a search and didn't find anything quite on the same lines . . .

I bought my 944 with 100K miles, and I now have 196K miles. I believe that I am still on the original clutch.

Ever since I bought the car, I have had some degree of what I believe is "clutch chatter" when driving in stop-and-go traffic. After spending some time in stop-and-go, as I let out the clutch to start moving, the car shudders. Giving the car more gas than normal as I get moving minimizes the shuddering.

It used to be that I would sit in traffic for fifteen minutes or more before the chatter problem started. Lately, after just a couple of minutes in stop and go I get the chatter. So, it seems to be getting worse.

Here's my big question: Does this mean it is near time for a new clutch?
Old 08-03-2004, 10:39 PM
Jared944
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If your at 196K miles, and still on the original clutch, than YEA, Id say its time for a replacement.
I bet ya the rubber seal on the clutch is eroded. I had the same problem....
Old 08-04-2004, 09:10 AM
Mark Hubley
Addict
Rennlist Member

If I continue to drive on this clutch for a while, then do I risk damaging other parts (e.g., flywheel)?
Old 08-04-2004, 04:40 PM
Jay W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Believe it or not if you have a loose exhaust system the vibrations created when letting the clutch out get greatly amplified by the exhaust shaking around. Someone else here on the board replaced practically everything on his car trying to get rid of a shudder and then realized his aftermarket exhaust wasnt secured tightly enough. I have a shudder as well and sure enough the exhaust was loose. Fixing the broken hanger stopped 90% of the shudder on my car.
Old 08-05-2004, 02:10 AM
Jared944
Racer

You can check the wear of your clutch, which is a pritty simple process. Go to http://www.clarks-garage.com/. They have descent directions how to check the wear of your clutch.
Yes, you could possibly damage your pressure plate & flywheel if your clutch is worn badly enough. Its probably time for a change....

Jared
Old 08-05-2004, 05:52 PM
PorscheMonkey
Instructor

I've only had my 87 na for about three months and have experienced a similar problem twice. Both times were in stop and go traffic and both times after about two hours of highway driving. I thought may be I needed a clutch but it hasn't done it again. I als found it really hard to get the car into first but easier to get into second from a stop.
Old 08-05-2004, 05:56 PM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Hubley
If I continue to drive on this clutch for a while, then do I risk damaging other parts (e.g., flywheel)?
I can't believe someone would near 200K miles on an original clutch and ask this question!

I see you have a Boxster, but that 944 or yours is going to feel like a rocket whenever you get around to giving it the clutch it deserves.
Old 08-05-2004, 10:02 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 105 Likes on 78 Posts

Pull up the parking brake, put the car in gear, gently let up on the clutch and give a little gas. If the motor stops the clutch is good, if the motor revs the clutch is slipping.

If the clutch is slipping it is bad. bad clutch, and bad for the flywheel if the clutch lining is worn, and it is metal to metal.

if the clutch isnt slipping, it is still good.

I love the answers on this forum. better than sitting on a barstool and listening to the resident experts!
Old 08-07-2004, 05:22 PM
Mark Hubley
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hey, the car goes when I ask it to!

Quick Reply: Clutch chatter; What's going on?