Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche bumper to Ford bumper: HALT!

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2004, 09:25 AM
Kurt
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Porsche bumper to Ford bumper: HALT!

Parked my car on the side of a road last night around a bend in a cul-de-sac. It has a filled-in area with trees in the middle. Get out, shut the door, see a car coming around the turn. Lock the door, turn to see the pickup truck (an older ~'91-'92 F150) coming around the bend, realize he's not going to stop.

*BANG*

At around 10-15 mph (I'm guessing), his front bumper ran into my rear bumper. Fortunately it was bumper-to-bumper and amazingly was not higher up (which would have plowed through my taillights). Anyhow, the only visual damage I could see was the cracked license plate holder (mine is lower than the usual spot, in between the black bumperettes) and the piece of plastic molding on the end/side of the bumper itself, on the right side, was popped out. I pushed that back in with no problem.

I'm taking it into a bodyshop today, to do a check on any sort of thing possible. What ideas does everyone have as far as things to check and be sure of?

Exhaust seems fine, the pipe is not movable, wasn't hit. Rear valence was too far under. Contact was solely between the black bumperettes, the space between them where my license plate is, and the F150 front steel bumper. Had the parking brake engaged & the tranmission in 1st. My car didn't appear to move at all beyond a fairly big jolt. I was surprised that the only thing I could tell was broken was merely a piece of plastic.

The worst part was standing there and watching a two ton object coming right at my parked car, and realizing he wasn't stopping in time.

sigh.

Had to share, but at least nothing appears to be seriously wrong, (with the exception of the dream I had where everytime I turned the car right it spun out because the right rear wheel was twisted, haha).
Old 08-06-2004, 09:36 AM
BeerBurner
Unbannable
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 44 Posts

As much as people criticize thost bumper pads, this is exactly the reason why I like them.

If everything appears lined up, you are probably fine. How does everything look with the plastic piece that you popped back in? Normally, since it popped out that would be a good inicator that one of the bumper shocks was compressed, but if it really does look as good as new, it's probably OK. The only other thing I can think to check is that there isn't any compression at all of the bumper shocks. Maybe take a tape measure and measure from several points to make sure that both sides are even?

Anywho, sorry about the pain in the *** this will be, but at least it appears minor.

BB.
Old 08-06-2004, 10:33 AM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Kurt, I got home last night. Got out of my BMW, walked by my RX7. Stopped, did a double take. Some piece of **** hit my RX7 while it was in my wifes parking lot at work. Not a little dent but damn near crushed 1/2 of the rear fender. I was PISSED. WTF is wrong with people, no note, no nothing. Just a giant dent in my F*ng car!
Old 08-06-2004, 11:04 AM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 107 Posts

It just plain sucks that people today will do something like that if they think thay can get away with. My Son had some skaters key his Acura after telling them to leave his place of work. He dealt with it well, he found them after work pulled over and totally pounded the s#%t out of both of them. He felt much better after that and no one hangs around that Papa Johns anymore.
Old 08-06-2004, 11:25 AM
BeerBurner
Unbannable
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 44 Posts

Don't get me started on the people shirking responsibility.

I have been hit seven(!) times while driving, and twice parked. Of those driving incidents, two were no damage, two were hit and runs, three were uninsured motorists. The two parking hits were hit and runs as well...

BB.
Old 08-06-2004, 11:53 AM
97xray
Burning Brakes

This morning I was hit by a state vehicle, a nice heavy Ford Econoline that was driving IN REVERSE on a single lane (each way) road, no traffic, no stop signs, just driving in reverse for no apparent reason... the police accident summary clearly states fault of the state vehicle / operator. Yet there is no one at the state who can find contact information for the insurance carrier; the driver did NOT have the insurance card with the vehicle, nor registration information and the police stated that his personal insurance information was unnecessary.
Go figure - state vehicle hits little ol' me, and I'm the one begging for mercy to the state to at least be able to FILE a loss agains their insurance. Too convenient if you ask me...
Why do I have to sit here and WAIT for (three hours and no returned calls from any of the DOZENS of people I contacted with the state and state agency responsible for the vehicle).
I'm not a happy camper.
Old 08-06-2004, 02:51 PM
Lead Foot 944
Three Wheelin'

The world will only get worse...! This is just the beginning......! The first week I had my P-car I had also been the victim of a hit and run....

DAmian
Old 08-06-2004, 03:26 PM
Lawn Gnome
Racer

I was a victim of a hit and run last week where I work. The kid who hit me had only had his license for 3 days but luckily I knew where he lived and I had the police follow me to his house. After speaking to his parents, they agreed to pay for any damage. There was no damage to the car but I'm thinking about saying the bumper shocks are compressed and they cost $300 each
Old 08-06-2004, 03:32 PM
pearldrum944
Drifting

Received 73 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Lawn Gnome
There was no damage to the car but I'm thinking about saying the bumper shocks are compressed and they cost $300 each
Old 08-06-2004, 06:04 PM
Kurt
Three Wheelin'

Well nice to hear we all have such great luck with the general public. Sigh.

Anyway, took it to a bodyshop that does a lot of work on foreign cars. Basically, nothing is wrong. The bumper shocks are not obviously compressed or stuck in. The only thing that happened was the top metal layer of the bumper was pushed in/down about a half an inch. Estimate on "fixing" this was an hour of labor - $40.

Think that space is worth getting fixed?
The "crack" in the turbo panel is not one - just a line in my driveway.

Oh wait...

Hahaha...I just checked some old pictures of my car before last night...this "spacing" above the bumper was there even then.

Sigh again. Anyone's thoughts? I'm off to have a brew. Have a nice Friday everyone.

Old 08-06-2004, 08:42 PM
silverBean
Burning Brakes

you can get that cracked fixed with insurance though... It may be devious but the bastard hit your car!! Atfer being rear ended three times, once in my camaro which totaled it, once in my moms rav4 which nearly totaled it and once in my dads big *** 92 f-150 which did no harm to his truck but tore the **** out of the guys lexus! I have vowed that if ANYONE is to ever hit my car, i shall kill the bastard. If i have a shard of glass prodruding from my forehead, i'll head butt his ***!! if my arm is severed, i shall beat him to death with it!!! just my view on the ordeal
Old 08-07-2004, 01:00 AM
Kurt
Three Wheelin'

LOL, but I'm starting to get curious now...does everyone else have this gap/spacing above their bumper or not?
Old 08-07-2004, 01:22 AM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

yes, we all have it
~Eyal
Old 08-07-2004, 01:27 AM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

When I picked up my 944 - as in LITERALLY picked it up - I'd owned it less than an hour I stopped at a nearby drugstore to pick up a few things to clean up the car a bit like windex wipes and air fresheners, a journal book for tracking gas mileage, stuff like that. I was literally sitting in the car on the side of the road reading the owner's manual since I had no idea how everything worked yet and night was beginning to fall when some idiot does one of those "warp 5" reverse-parallel-parking jobs into the vacant space in front of me. The ******* messed it up too - he banged my front bumper. I was literally speechless. I'd not even put 10 miles on this car and some jackass backed into me! I got out, which kind of freaked him because he obviously didn't think anyone was in the car and tried pulling the "no speak English" crap on me. I just stood there and blocked his path and was like "WTF?" He kept telling me in broken English "I no hit you. . . I no hit you" like I wasn't just SITTING THERE FEELING IT / HEARING IT!!! I VERY closely inspected for damage and disgustedly told him if he wanted to drive in this country to be a little more f*cking responsible (his car was a rental; I could tell by the "my other car is an Enterprise rent-a-car" license plate). He left, I recorded his plate number (just in case I found any damage later), took a good look around then let the air out of his tires and gave the driver's side door a nice hard kick, enough to put a dent in it big enough to get him in deep **** with the rent-a-car company.

Payback is SUCH a bitch, ain't it?

I know I should feel guilty about this, but I don't.
Old 08-07-2004, 03:54 AM
silverBean
Burning Brakes

don't fell guilty, the same day i picked up my car i was nearly home. I mean just turning and 100 yards down was my apartament complex. I'm the first car in the right hand turn lane and the light turns green. Then some **** HEAD in the center lane cuts me off and turns right right in front of me then the guy behind him follows. I was screaming obscenities till i got home. i nearly **** myself!!

Quick Reply: Porsche bumper to Ford bumper: HALT!