Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transponder Installation Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2004, 05:17 PM
David '96 993
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transponder Installation Question

Have any of you done a transponder installation on your 944?

I have just purchased a hardwire transponder(AMB) and the directions for installation are very limited (just the location).

What wires did you tap into, and where did you mount it? Also, how did you tap into the wires (note: I have done very little electrical work on my car, so I need some help). It looks like a very simple job, but not something that I have done before. Lastly, do you disconnect it when not in use for cars that are parked for long periods of time?
Old 08-03-2004, 07:00 PM
Eric in Chicago
Three Wheelin'

Received 51 Likes on 12 Posts

Hey David,
I ran the hot wire right to the battery and grounded the black wire in the engine bay. I mounted the transponder at the edge of the front bumper cover and zip tied it tight. I cut a hole out of the front bumper under cover so it could see the transponder in the track. Wanted to get it as close to the front of the car as possible as I have seen a few races where the cars were side by side going past the start/ finish line. Transponder in front of the car wins! There is really no battery drain. I left mine hooked up to the 993 for months at a time in the winter and had no problem at all.
Old 08-03-2004, 08:17 PM
David '96 993
Pro

Eric,
I think I might have gotten some advice from you in the past on my 993. Thank you again.

By the way, did you install any kind of fuse in the line of the hotwire? I was thinking of insalling in the front fender (others have), but was concerned about debree coming off of the wheel damaging it.
Old 08-03-2004, 09:14 PM
Eric in Chicago
Three Wheelin'

Received 51 Likes on 12 Posts

No problem, your welcome!
On the 993 I had the transponder mounted in the wheel well. I did not have a problem with anything hitting in, just make sure you have enough clearance going lock to lock with the tires. I did not put in a fuse in line but it would not be a bad idea. Go small as the draw is almost nothing.

Have fun racing!!
Old 08-03-2004, 11:28 PM
silver44
Instructor

Default transponder location

I screwed mine to the front of the wheel well on the left side. I then grounded it and ran the hot wire to an ignition switched wire up by the firewall on the bundle of wires that is connected together with a 9 pin connector. I have heard of some using a toggle switch to turn it on and off but that is something you might forget in a race.

Don
Old 08-04-2004, 02:00 AM
T.Asay44
Advanced

I can't say anything about hooking one up in a 944, but when we wired ours in the race car....we grounded it and ran the hot wire through the main power switch. When the car has power, the transponder has power.

Tad
Old 08-04-2004, 10:37 AM
Oddjob
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 54 Posts

You can wire it into the wires that run to the heated windshield washers. They are only on when the ignition is turned on so the transponder will not drain the battery when the car is off. These wires run around the outboard side of the fuse box on their way up the hood hinge bracket. I cut into them near the front corner of the fuse box and spliced in a male/female plug connector. I had to drill a small hole in the fire wall for the transponder wires, then ran the transponder down in front of the driver side front wheel. I mounted it to the horn bracket on a 944 n/a, and mounted it in front of the sway bar bracket on the frame rail on a turbo (because of the full length underspoiler "batwing"). I also had to notch the belly pan on the turbo to make sure the transponder had a clear opening below it.
Old 08-04-2004, 11:52 AM
David '96 993
Pro

Thank you for all of the suggestions. I do like the idea of wiring to something that has power when the car has power. I currently am having intermittant no start issues (wiggle the flywheel sensor...new by the way) and then it starts. I don't want to drain the much needed power to start for the moment.

Did anyone wire in a fuse? It did recommend it in the instructions.

Quick Reply: Transponder Installation Question