Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Howdy, new owner

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2004, 06:55 AM
Whitt944
Always Wears Protection
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Howdy, new owner

Why do Porsches have to drive so nice?
I was going into a low rent used car lot to buy an RX-7 that i got a line on. Unfortunately, some fast and furious types broke into the lot the night before and stripped the car down. I did not know this and drove to the other side of the other side of the island to find this out. Needless to say i was very disappointed. As i was walking off the lot, I saw sunlight breaking through the grease cloud hanging around this yard, and before me sat one of the most beautiful sights i had seen in a long time. It was a black 1988 944. I have no idea what possessed me to go find one of the yard guys, but before i knew what i was doing i was test driving this thing. I had never sat in a Porsche before, much less driven one. It was nice. I asked the wife and she said no way. i asked again and she said we couldn't afford a Porsche. I went back inside and asked the price. 3200 dollars was quoted. I had no idea what a 944 was worth, and was shocked at how low it was. In a surprised voice i said " Are you F'n kidding me? For That car?" I guess it scared the guy, and he shot back, "Well, we've had it on the lot for a while, i was just about to drop the price to 2,800 dollars. I'll sell it to you for that price." I drove the car home even though the A/C doesn't work. I thought I would drive the car until it fell apart, and then get something more reasonable. Then I drove it some more, and thought it was a nice car. Then I drove it some more, and it was even nicer. Now I am addicted to the Freakin thing. It just feels right. The damn thing is awesome. My mind set changed so that i wanted to keep the car for a while. Then i found myself hunting for a shaded parking spot for it. I went so far as to buy a a damned sunshield for the windshield, and trying to find some to fit the passenger and rear window. All this happened in a span of six days! It is Just a car! So now i have decided to fix the small problems with the car, and that is where the small problems became a stunning kick to the jaw. The price of fixing these beasts are astronomical. According to every part dealer I have talked to, there is only one person on the island of Oahu who is gifted enough to be allowed to touch a Porsche. They also go as far as to insinuate that the only reason anyone else in the world touches a Porsche is because it is pretty hard to drive through thousands of miles of ocean to get your vehicle to his shop, and so they forgive these less fortunate people. I drove over and met this guy, and sure enough, from having met some down right shady mechanics in my time, this dude is damned impressive. The guy didn't even know if he was going to get my business and was already telling me how to save money on repairs. " Order your parts from pelican, that way we only charge you labor, parts from this place are good, quick arrival time, and no hassles."
Now I don't want to drive the car to it's death, and look forward to keeping it running good, because it drives like nothing I have ever driven before.
Old 07-24-2004, 07:39 AM
pete944
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Welcome to Rennlist. I think you'll like it here.
Your mechanic probably told you about the timing belts on these cars and the damage they can do if they are old or worn. If it hasn't been replaced, do it now.
Congrats on getting what I feel is one of the best cars ever produced.
Old 07-24-2004, 07:59 AM
Whitt944
Always Wears Protection
Rennlist Member

He sure did, that and the brakes should be taken care of first half of august. Thanks for the welcome
Old 07-24-2004, 08:45 AM
Don 944 LA
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jeeeeeeeesus, what a paragraph

Break it up a little brother...

Anyway, couldn't read through all of it..

WELCOME !!!!!!

I'll comment obce I'm rid of this wine ...
Old 07-24-2004, 09:00 AM
Blue S2
Race Car

WOW!!!! What an awesome story! HAHAHA. Thats great! Welcome to Rennlist! You came to the right place! First thing you SHOULD do is go to the dealer and have a Pre-Purchase Inspection. (regardless that you already bought it) This will tell you virtually everything that needs attention in the car and then you can prioritize. (and it only costs about $100 depending on the dealership)

Don't worry too much about repairs. Many things are pretty easy to do yourself. For big items, you can usually shop for the best price on parts (Paragon or Pelican) and it sounds like you already found a mechanic. Naturally, some things are more expensive on a Porsche. I mean, you need a freakin' case of oil plus one more for this thing. (and i use 15w50 synthetic) So just the price of my oil is more than a changing oil on my other car! Don't let stuff like that sway you though! These are the best cars for the price, and nothing drives like em' !

Enjoy the car!
Old 07-24-2004, 09:04 AM
Don 944 LA
Three Wheelin'

yes, nothing drives like them !!!

hehe , I'm toasted drunk

not drivin now, so you bastages don't comment...
Old 07-24-2004, 09:39 AM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Jeez Don.. leave the drunken posting to the pros!!

Welcome to Rennlist!. Enjoy driving it- I know I enjoy mine..
Old 07-24-2004, 01:16 PM
Jim 944S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Welcome Whitt!!!

The accelleration and especially the braking on a friend's 944S so impressed me that I ended up buying one. Absolute joy to drive! IIRC it was Derek Bell who said the 944 was the best handling race car he had ever driven.

There are a few Rennlist poster/members in The Islands, also. And always count on us on line for any assistance we may be able to give!

Again, Welcome!!!
Jim 1987 944S
Old 07-24-2004, 01:52 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 107 Posts

"According to every part dealer I have talked to, there is only one person on the island of Oahu who is gifted enough to be allowed to touch a Porsche"

Welcome, sounds like a screaming deal at $2800. I guess that makes us home wrenchers pretty special...I touch my Porsche all the time! Post some pics with a tropical theme and make us all feel bad.
Old 07-24-2004, 02:22 PM
schnellfahrer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Not only does it drive well, it's a Porsche!!!

Welcome to Rennlist!
Old 07-24-2004, 04:15 PM
NeedPorscheSpeed
Three Wheelin'

Welcome, Whitt! Once you get a taste of Porsche, there is no turning back! How dare that salesman not warn you...

Originally Posted by 944pete
Congrats on getting what I feel is one of the best cars ever produced.
Absolutely, Pete. I always plan to have at least one car from the 44-line in my garage. Don't worry, if I have to part with any of my current cars, it will only be for other Porsches.
Old 07-24-2004, 04:26 PM
Charlie944
Rennlist Member

Welcome! Two words: NO SUBSTITUE! Great story, glad you were able to give it a good home.
Check this list of suppliers out to aid you in your quest of Porsche ownership: http://www.weissach.net/Suppliers_924-944-968.html

Take Care!
Old 07-24-2004, 05:41 PM
Giantviper
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Congrads on your purchase. the 944s are great cars and welcome to rennlist.

I just have to warn you you have just trapped yourself once you drive a porsche you are stuck you will find nothing else is adiquet. I Know i am addicted to them.

As far as repair prices to have stuff done right it can get expensive but usually you can find parts for a good deal from the many diffrent parts dealers that get them off of wrecks. Also as long as you take car of them they will last forever.

Old 07-24-2004, 06:21 PM
sweanders
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You better watch out or you'll end up feeling that one Porsche isn't enough.. I'm an addict and cry a tear everytime I sell one and promise myself that I only need one Porsche.. Then it all repeats itself a month later..
Old 07-24-2004, 06:40 PM
CPTdooberhead
Drifting

I wouldn't drive a 944 turbo anytime soon...

Quick Reply: Howdy, new owner