Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

best night tonight became the worst read please and help por favor...

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2004, 12:16 PM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Angry

Originally Posted by Tom R.
After what you wrote when I asked for a favor, and since you are to cheap to pay for a membership because you don't get the value, I will do like you preached and protect my constitutional rights and using your own words, help you "when my sh*t turns purple and smells like rainbow sherbert."
Ouch man.. Welcome back Tom R.

Kicking the dead pedal..Starter works ok but no power?? Get the starter tested first then- maybe time for a new bellhousing ground strap and/or a starter cable. Check those grounds baby. It's a continuity issue.

Stig- you sure are caustic on Pelican OT..But you turn to Rennlist to help you...

Pelican Forums OT:
[quote]
Help! I'm seekin asylum from lefties as a republican and EX-Grid Girl poster! Therefore, I"m coming here and helping the 944 and 928 guys with whatever I can!

Andy[quote]
Old 07-23-2004, 01:02 PM
Mongo
Official Bay Area Patriot
Fuse 24 Assassin
Rennlist Member

Received 119 Likes on 62 Posts

ok now that I'm not so panicky let me explain how this starter is bitching:

1) The starter clicks when attempting to start but won't crank.
2) The battery is new and recently replaced.
3) This issue was intermittent and now its become permanent
4) There's rust on EVERY connection on that starter and the copper wire ground from the solenoid to the main starter is blue from massive oxidation.

This morning I couldn't get it started either, only the buzzing from the fuel pump and the clicking of the starter is all that you hear.

I'm going to see if I can get a hold of a used starter over this weekend and drop that in. I'll be sure and sand all the grounds. Right now, i soaked the bolts and the connections with PB blaster to break loose the nuts and bolts to make the starter easier to take out.

And Can we leave anything out in regards to previous threads of mine please? I would like to try and solve this issue so I can get my car running again thank you.

Andy
Old 07-23-2004, 01:10 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 116 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by thestig
And Can we leave anything out in regards to previous threads of mine please? I would like to try and solve this issue so I can get my car running again thank you.

Andy
Lemme get this straight OK.

It's OK for you to crap all over other members of the community and the community itself, BUT, when you need help we are all supposed to forget what an inconsiderate a-hole you are and jump to your rescue.

Sorry if i offended you. please forgive me. give me your paypal and I will pay to have your car fixed. yeah right I'll do that for you "when my sh*t turns purple and smells like rainbow sherbert."
Old 07-23-2004, 01:13 PM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

I'm just a little sore Andy.. no harm no foul. Not enough coffee this morning!

I reiterate, The starter seems to not be getting enough power. Bad main grounds, poor cable to the starter and oxidation on the grounds are a major culprit to a host of problems. It's not the battery- so concentrate on power to the starter and the grounds completing the circuit. Pull the starter and take it to autozone for testing to rule out the starter. I'd bet 10 bucks that it's the cables.
Old 07-23-2004, 01:35 PM
icat
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Tom - glad to see your back!

Andy, ya gotta admit that it's just bad karma to take a dump in your own sandbox. I'd say from the "rust" everywhere comment that you already know what the problem is. Just fix it and move on.

Magic pixi dust not offered on Rennlist - see Pelican for tall fish tales.
Old 07-23-2004, 01:39 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by icat
Magic pixi dust not offered on Rennlist - see Pelican for tall fish tales.
I just spit my drink out all over my keyboard. LOL!
Old 07-23-2004, 01:53 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Take the starter off, have someone crank the car. See if the starter is even turning. On my sisters '89 Dodge Raider with some 220k miles on it had a similar problem. Lights and everything went on when you hit the ignition, and you could hear the click of the starter engaging into position to crank the car, but the car would even turn over. Long story short, starter went bad. Replaced it and it cranked over fine.

If you really need to get the car started haev a few friends push your car up to about 10-15mph. Dump the clutch in 1st gear and it should start. Not exactly easy going on the car but it does work.

Surprisingly enough there is a nice article on Pelican about testing a starter on a 914, but like the article says it can be applied to a starter for a 944.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarti...arter_diag.htm

Old 07-23-2004, 02:01 PM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

I have some interesting info on starters- this is a real world number.
Lets say you drive to work and lunch. take a few trips on the weekends in your car. thats a minimum of 6 starts a day. 6x31 (days in a month) is a minimum 186 starts a month.
I know someone who has a interlock on a car that counts the # of starts. On a daily driver this was over 400 times in 1 month! I was absolutely amazed..

That little bugger gets a real workout- we sure do ask a lot of that little motor without thinking about it.
I'm surprised thay last as long as they do!
Old 07-23-2004, 02:20 PM
Jakerx
Hitsquad Ninja
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome back Tom. It's been a long-time since I've seen you post.

But hey Stig try and do what Devon suggested. That worked for his problem and he was back up and running in no time. Get back to us if problems persist.
Old 07-23-2004, 02:37 PM
DerSchlechtSpecht
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its probably your solenoid

Step 1: buy new starter
Step 2: replace old with new
Step 3: continue belittling rennlist and its users, because you dont get anything out of it

-Christian
Old 07-23-2004, 02:39 PM
97xray
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Be sure to check the main positive cable that runs along the firewall then down to the starter; if this is "grounding" (probably the wrong word; shorting?) to the firewall, you've got an engine fire waiting to happen... just something to check though; it sounds like you need the IceShark cables, ASAP.
Good luck - it's easy and fun work replacing the cables.
Old 07-23-2004, 02:52 PM
Mongo
Fuse 24 Assassin
Rennlist Member

DELETE

Last edited by TheStig; 07-23-2004 at 07:13 PM.
Old 07-23-2004, 02:56 PM
Mongo
Fuse 24 Assassin
Rennlist Member

BTW, guys I managed to reserve a starter from a local wrecking yard, so this baby's coming out tonight. I'm also gonna go obsessive compulsive on the cables so they are nicey and shiny and clean.. THat should cure some resistance issues.

Andy
Old 07-23-2004, 03:00 PM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 126 Posts

Did you check for loose wiring at the starter before posting your question? Or buying a starter?

Make sure they don't sell you a Jetta starter. I hear they fit but spin the wrong way.
Old 07-23-2004, 03:02 PM
Mongo
Fuse 24 Assassin
Rennlist Member

affirmative, all wires on are where they should be and tight.

Andy

Quick Reply: best night tonight became the worst read please and help por favor...