Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Next 968 / 951 part swapping question....

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2004, 02:18 PM
ian
Nordschleife Master

Received 65 Likes on 37 Posts
Default Next 968 / 951 part swapping question....

Ok, i'm full of bad ideas today.

Lets say one had a 951 and a 968 parked in a garage. If one wanted to swap the motors would it be possible with all the parts in each car, or are there changes to the 968 chasis that would prevent this from working?

I would think the 968 motor going into the 951 wouldn't require any new parts, but the 951 motor going into the 968 I would guess there would be some fabrication involved to get the IC mounted and such.

Not that this is something i'm going to tackle anytime soon, but if I end up with both cars it might be something to earmark for the future.....

Why?

Well a Turbo 968 has always been my dream, and the 2.5L produces enough power for me, I don't need the full boat 3.0L, and I wouldn't be able to pay for it anyway. So this might be about the only way I could get there......
Old 07-22-2004, 02:21 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

I have nothing of value to add to this, but merely a suggestion:

I say find a totalled out 951. Swap all of it's drivetrain into your 968, put a 968TRS wing on the back, and paint it Zermatt Silber. Then sell me the 968 motor, DME, and wiring harness for a good price if I come pick it up.

Hope that helps .
Old 07-22-2004, 02:28 PM
ian
Nordschleife Master

Tifo,

If thats how things work out I promise you would be the first person in line for all those parts..... What is a 968 motor, wiring harness, and DME worth?

There is one up on ebay right now, but its very pricey $6,000 starting bid, but it now for $7,500....
Old 07-22-2004, 02:39 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by ian
Tifo,

If thats how things work out I promise you would be the first person in line for all those parts..... What is a 968 motor, wiring harness, and DME worth?

There is one up on ebay right now, but its very pricey $6,000 starting bid, but it now for $7,500....
Hmm. That is rather pricey.

My non-extensive research that I have performed regarding this over the past 2 years has given me a figure of around $4k for the parts, highest-price-that-I-am-willing-to-pay scenario. That may mean some shopping around on my part.

I could maybe go higher if I find a local buyer for my perfectly good 2.5ltr motor that only has 82K miles on it and does not leak/burn a drop of oil.
Old 07-22-2004, 02:42 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ian:
I am not sure if it would match up 100%, but why not just take the 2.5 8V turbo head and put it on the 3 liter block? (Isn't that what they did for the 968 TRS?)

Unfortunately, I don't think the cooling canals would match up between the block and the head. But it they did, it would be a lot easier to something like that...

And no, your ideas AREN't bad or evil. Tifosiman's AVATAR's are far more evil.
-Z.
Old 07-22-2004, 03:21 PM
ian
Nordschleife Master

Z,

You can make adjustments to the stock 951 head to make it fit, but then you still need all the other bits from the 951 to make it work, and you are left with a high compression motor with turbo plumbing, not the ideal combo. So you would need to do a motor rebuild on the 968 block to make it low compression adding in dollar after dollar.

I'm thinking of this from a budget approach, in the end having a two driveable unique porsches.....
Old 07-22-2004, 06:18 PM
Jay Wellwood
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 266 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by Z-man
Ian:
I am not sure if it would match up 100%, but why not just take the 2.5 8V turbo head and put it on the 3 liter block? (Isn't that what they did for the 968 TRS?)

Unfortunately, I don't think the cooling canals would match up between the block and the head. But it they did, it would be a lot easier to something like that...

And no, your ideas AREN't bad or evil. Tifosiman's AVATAR's are far more evil.
-Z.
Uhmmm...no. Gotta use the 2.7 liter head.

There are also a few issues with the electronics - gotta go back with the 951 stuff for an easy fix.

hth-
Old 07-22-2004, 06:30 PM
Jay Wellwood
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 266 Likes on 153 Posts

In order to lower the compression ratio, there are pistons available for use with the 2.7 head from Andial.

Old 07-22-2004, 06:56 PM
PorscheG96
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What you're planning doesn't make very much sense to me. You've said over and over [and OVER] that you don't like how the 968 looks. Why would you put a turbocharged engine into a car you don't like the looks of? You've never claimed to have a problem with the 968 engine so why change it?

Your other car will basically be a 944 with a 968 engine [frankenstein S2 I guess], less valuable and more difficult to sell than a stock 951. Actually both cars would be tough to sell at that point and you appear to have a high turnover rate with cars.

Why would anyone put a head with 100mm diameter chamber on a block w/ 104mm bores, even if the thing was modified so it would fit? Sounds half-assed!

The engine swap would work but you'd have to swap computers, harnesses, clutch bellhousings, exhaust all the way back [and modify the muffler area because the exhaust exit in the body is different], torque tubes, NOT the tranny unless you WANTED to, gauge cluster [boost gauge], and like you say figure out how to mount the intercooler in a 968...there is no nose panel like the 944 has.
Old 07-23-2004, 12:45 PM
ian
Nordschleife Master

Jay,

While its nice to know I could go through andial to get parts to use the stock block as part of the conversion, it wouldn't help me in this procress because the cost would be far to high.

G96,

True I don't like the color, and odds are I never will be in love with Amazon Green, but a Turbo 968 regardless of color peaks my interest. The motor may not be a drawback of the 968, but it is not its ace in the hole. I feel the 951 powerplant is much more fun to work with, and offers so much more potential.

Where I tend to agree with you is in the creation of the 944 S2 plus (or what ever you want to call it), that wouldn't be an easy sell, nor would it be something I really want. So instead, the 951 I am hopefully picking up will keep its driveline, but the 968 would have its engine, harness, etc taken out and sold. W/ the money that is left over I would have more than enough for buy a 951 parts car from which I could take all of the parts need (save IC mount fabrication).....

The biggest drawback right now, is space.... I don't have the room to pull this off where I live now, but I'm going to try and figure that out......

Quick Reply: Next 968 / 951 part swapping question....