Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rennbay ball joint kit...anyone do one in Nassau, Long Island, NY

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2004 | 08:29 PM
Jimmy34
Intermediate

Unhappy rennbay ball joint kit...anyone do one in Nassau, Long Island, NY

I can't seem to get the stupid arm out...I looked under there and have NO clue...anyone in Nassau, LI, NY ever do this that can help for ???

I'll drive anywhere...

Thanks...

Jimmy
Old 07-14-2004 | 08:34 PM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

I can do it.. but i'm probably like 5 hours away..

Just take the nut off top of the ball joint.. bolts out of the bushing joint towards teh rear of the arm, and then take off front control arm bushing bolt.. (take off sway bar first by taking its nut off as well)

check www.clarks-garage.com for more help... they ahve a good write up
Old 07-14-2004 | 09:01 PM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

I'm in upper westchester county in NY....

~45 mins north of nyc.

What exactly are you having problems with?
Old 07-14-2004 | 09:40 PM
2+2
Pro

I just did my drivers side about 3 weeks ago so it is pretty fresh in my mind.... like Adrial asked, what is the problem and we can probably direct you. I found that removing and reinstalling the arm was much more PITA than the ball joint replacement so I can sympathize....
Old 07-15-2004 | 02:34 PM
Jimmy34
Intermediate

WOW...Thanks guys...

I put the car up on my jack and went underneath to try and start the project...all the bolts are painted with orange paint 1st of all...

I see a small clamp type holding the top of where I imagine the top of the ball joint is...I loosened that, hoping that is what looks like it needed to be done...don't know if it should come all the way out...

Then unbolted the sway bar...hard to do but I got it...

Next I see the arm is attached to whatever on each side...trying to unbolt those was near impossible with the space I had to work with...neither one budged...

I actually see what needs to be done but because of a hammy pull I'm not getting enough power to do it...

I only have my Sears 2 ton jack and that's not giving me the clearence I need...the car shakes at 55+ only when I have any type of pressure on the passenger side front tire...

I live near the Throgs neck and I'm not afraid to pick up a cooler of beer and drive it to anyone who knows anything about this...

THANKS AGAIN...

JIMMY
Old 07-15-2004 | 03:38 PM
2+2
Pro

The bolt that is used to clamp the pin of the ball joint needs to come out completely. Once that is out, tap the arm with a rubber mallet to remove the pin from the spindle. You have to unsecure the stabilizer bar at both sides, remove the two bolts that hold the eccentric bolt at the back of the arm, and remove the long bolt holding the front of the arm. There is enough room to slide the bolt under the rubber boot for the rack if you position your rack at a certain position....this thin portion of the rack/tie rods can be felt through the boot. Align this up and slide the bolt through.

Then the easy part of rebuilding the ball joint...follow instructions...

If you are injured, you will need help. Getting the arms back on is more of a PITA than removing it.

Other tools I have found helpful besides the wrenches and sockets and tools ID in the kit instructions:
rubber mallet, large deep socket, a jack, awl.
Good luck
Old 07-16-2004 | 01:27 AM
Epic2112
Addict
Rennlist Member

If you want to have a mechaninc do it, I have a guy that I really like in Great Neck, PM me if you want his contact info. My 944 is there right now .
Old 07-16-2004 | 01:45 AM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by 2+2
If you are injured, you will need help. Getting the arms back on is more of a PITA than removing it.

Other tools I have found helpful besides the wrenches and sockets and tools ID in the kit instructions:
rubber mallet, large deep socket, a jack, awl.
Good luck
Serge and I found out beer really helps after he removed his right arm 3 times to swap arms and install a new kit from Travis last Saturday.

Quick Reply: rennbay ball joint kit...anyone do one in Nassau, Long Island, NY