Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help Please: Strange Problem, clicking noise from behind dash

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2004, 11:17 AM
houston944
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Help Please: Strange Problem, clicking noise from behind dash

I have tried figuring this out myself , but I can't figure this one out and its driving me crazy.

There is a clicking noise that seems to be coming from behind the instrument cluster, may be from the fuse box, a relay or something.
Its not there in the lower gears and shifting up. It only comes while cruising at speeds higher than 40 mph. I can be in any gear at different RPM ranges, the sound only comes at the higher speeds. Also cruising on the highway, both with the cruise control on and off, it comes every 10-15 seconds.

Also when it clicks, the speed seems to change for a split second. The speed or RPM changes are not noticeable on the gauges, but I seem to feel them.

The strange part about this problem is that the noise is not there in the morning on my way to work, but it comes up on my way back from work. Is it because it is much cooler in the morning??
Old 05-28-2004, 01:03 PM
idontknow
Intermediate

A snag in your speedo cable. Mine made the exact same noise and with the same results. It will slowly get worse. Changing the cable is relatively easy and it takes about an hour.

Good luck
Old 05-28-2004, 01:27 PM
goingboeing737
Burning Brakes

Never overlook the obvious.

My car had a terrible intermittent "ticking" when I got it. I just "knew" it was the speedo cable.

HA...., turns out it was a broken air vent on the drivers side. The part to direct air up/down was broken. Finally one day at a stop light, I see this little lever bouncing up and down. Some kind of harmonic vibration caused it to start bouncing, I could never track it down till then.

Replaced vent.....problem solved,,,,,go figure

Might not be YOUR problem, just thought I'd give ya a free BUMP and .02 of of useless information
Old 05-28-2004, 02:01 PM
Devia
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

lol. So, one of two possibilities! I vote for the cable.
Old 05-28-2004, 02:53 PM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Every 10 to 15 seconds it's probably not a cable.

Sounds to me like it might be a climate control switch, they make a click in there somewhere when they turn on and off. The speed changes when the ac compressor kicks in.

If it's cycling that fast you might have some other problem in your ac system. I used to notice mine clicking every minute or so.
Old 05-28-2004, 03:04 PM
houston944
Advanced

James,

I have looked for loose stuff like that, but I can look again more closely.

That noise is there, even when the AC is off. So it couldn't be the AC.

I'll look into replacing the speedo cable and check the speedo gear at the same time.

But the part I still don't understand is if it is the speedo cable, why wouldn't it make the noise at all in the morning and click every few seconds in the afternoon???

The noise has gotten more frequent over time.
Old 05-28-2004, 03:56 PM
houston944
Advanced

I can't find the speedo cable anywhere online. Pelican has cable till MY 85.

Reading at some other posts, I am getting the impression that MY 85.5+ didn't have a speedo cable, they have an electrical system instead.

I am confused here. Please shed some light on this.
Old 05-28-2004, 04:50 PM
dme
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

On my 86 I had a problem with clicking behind the dash. Turned out to be the climate control which was switching a couple solenoids behind the dash on the passenger side. Soon after, the climate control died altogether, I replaced it and the clicking was gone. Also, it was temperature related. Started out only in the morning. Made me crazy while driving to work.
Old 05-28-2004, 04:55 PM
houston944
Advanced

Mine seems to be coming from the driver side. I have other Climate control problems as well, like no heat and full cold AC (no temperature control).
Also mine is not there in the morning and there in the afternoon.

Also MY 86 944 doesn't have a speedo cable, it has a speed sensor instead. So its not the speedo cable.

It could be the odometer gear. But why would I feel a change in speed if its the odometer gear?
Old 05-28-2004, 04:58 PM
Type_LT
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

There isn't a speedo cable on the 85.5 newer cars, it's digital. The only clicking I have is from the solenoids dme spoke of, but that only happens around the 18C setting on the control ****.
Old 05-29-2004, 12:43 AM
Kevin Baker
Drifting

Alok, I'm guessing climate control too. The change in momentum could be caused by a/c compressor coming on. FWIW I'll be around tomorrow, or if you feel like driving up to the shop. I'll bring the extra unit with me there.
Old 05-29-2004, 02:11 AM
Red1
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I drove Alok's car. I didn't think the clicking was that serious, but I know how these things can get inside your mind. For some reason he didn't like my suggestion to turn up the radio. j/k

In all seriousness, the issue with the brakes would be my primary concern, unless you've gotten that resolved. His pedal required way more effort for braking than it should.
Old 05-29-2004, 07:51 AM
idontknow
Intermediate

Oops< I lived up to my user name! Guess I should have looked at the MY, but hey, at least you got bumped into the spotlight!
Old 05-30-2004, 09:13 PM
Kevin Baker
Drifting

Brian, I remember you saying something about that. What do you think? Is the power booster working, stuck caliper?
Old 06-01-2004, 03:18 PM
houston944
Advanced

It is the climate control, because the sound only comes when the AC is running. So it seems like its cycling some solenoids.

I haven't been able to figure out the brake problem. I can pump up the pedal to very firm before I start the car. That indicates to me that their isn't air in the system. Also after I have pumped up the brakes when I start the car, the pedal drops a little like its supposed to if the brake booster is not bad. I don't see what's going on there, unless its the brake master or the brake calipers sticking.

Kevin,

I'll be pretty busy this week, but let me know when I could stop by and I'll try to make it there.

Quick Reply: Help Please: Strange Problem, clicking noise from behind dash