Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Track Event and Dinner Watkins Glen

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2004 | 06:19 PM
jford
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default Track Event and Dinner Watkins Glen

I am tossing around the idea of having a DE and dinner at Watkins Glen in October of this year. This would be a non PCA event comprised primarily of people from the board and drivers I have met over the past year if bodies are needed to fill the run groups. The event would be a 2 day DE during the week, either a Wed./Thurs. or a Mon./Tues. The cost would be somehwere around $240 to $265 per driver for two days with the dinner at the Glen Club (overlooking the essses at the track) included for that price. There would be lots of track time...somwhere around 4 or 5 28 minute sessions per day. Run groups would be no more than 40 cars each.

In addition, there would be tickets for the dinner available for those who wanted to meet other drivers but did not wish to track thier cars. Also, the Glen closes for lunch each day and lets cars do parade laps for $5/lap. This might be a nice oppurtunity for those attending just the dinner to drive the track.

Perhaps we could make this a Rennlist event/reunion with the blessing of John D. of course.

If there is any interest let me know, either by posting here or e-mailing me at JFord66@aol.com. Thanks everyone.

Jamie

Last edited by jford; 07-13-2004 at 09:41 PM.
Old 07-14-2004 | 08:51 AM
jford
Addict
Rennlist Member

Just bringing it back around. Thanks.

Jamie
Old 07-14-2004 | 09:21 AM
vuugti
Addict
Rennlist Member

I'd be in. Let me know Jamie. How's the garage coming? Still have an offer for the install of my tranny and such?

Andy
Old 07-14-2004 | 09:28 AM
John D.
Banned

I'd definately be in..! The Glen in October is absolutely beautiful...

As for a Rennlist Event - why not????

How many folks do you need to make it happen?? If you want - I can cross-post this to some of the other forums??

Best to you!

John
Old 07-14-2004 | 09:35 AM
swftiii
Addict
Rennlist Member

Jamie,

I see you are moving forward with the idea. I would love to do it, but will need to know the dates and see when it is. I'll be in Hawaii the 14th - 24th or so, but am taking the rest of the month off to do Daddy duty. As long as my wife can work out her schedule to take care of Olivia, then I'm free to go.

Keep us posted.

-Skip
Old 07-14-2004 | 09:47 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Cool idea, Jamie! I need more practice at the Glen and could be up for it as long as it isn't too close to the VIR club race on October 1-3.
Old 07-14-2004 | 12:23 PM
jford
Addict
Rennlist Member

Andy- Glad to hear your intereseted. Garage construction won't commence until after the summer but would still be very interested in tackling this DIY. I have plenty of space for guests as I am sure it would take 2 days at least.

John- Thats great! I would like to have about 120 drivers with room for an additional 50 or so people for the dinner. If you could cross post this thread that would be great. Once we get enough feedback to make it a go we can iron out the details and maybe do an "admin" post for sign up information (if thats ok that is).

Skip and Mark- Would love to see the both of you there! Right now I have a hold on the 27th and 28th of Oct. which sounds like it would work for both of you. I am on a wait list for the 18th and 19th. Skip, you may be able to do Hawaii and still get to the Glen, making for a pretty darn good month in my book. Mark, you should get plenty of practice as I want a minimum of 4 30min. run sessions per driver per day. Its a long journey for alot of folks so we have to make it worth the trip.

Thanks.

Jamie
Old 07-14-2004 | 02:21 PM
Riff
Rennlist Member

I was at Watkins Glen earlier this year and would love to go back so this sounds very good to me. How much track "experience" is needed to attend??

Thanks!
Old 07-14-2004 | 06:37 PM
K-bit

Lifetime Rennlist

bump
Old 07-14-2004 | 06:43 PM
John D.
Banned

Originally posted by Riff
I was at Watkins Glen earlier this year and would love to go back so this sounds very good to me. How much track "experience" is needed to attend??

Thanks!
Hey Riff...!

Let me jump in on this reply - and maybe Jamie will come back with the definative answer??? Anyway - I asked him the same thing - and if you've been signed off by another organization, you should be fine. As well - I think he may be looking for some instructors if enough folks want/need them who don't have the seat time yet... As for me - I aready volunteered to instruct if he needs a few...

Hope to see you there!

John
Old 07-14-2004 | 09:22 PM
944Ecology
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I have been at Watkins Glen in Mid October and it was freaking cold. As I recall (and I do) the temperature was 28 degrees F when the track opened.

A couple of laps later, one of my friends had totalled his 996 on cold tires.

I guess that I'll pass on an event at the end of October... (Gee, I wonder why those dates are open!)

gb
Old 07-14-2004 | 10:28 PM
John D.
Banned

Originally posted by 944Ecology
I have been at Watkins Glen in Mid October and it was freaking cold. As I recall (and I do) the temperature was 28 degrees F when the track opened.

A couple of laps later, one of my friends had totalled his 996 on cold tires.

I guess that I'll pass on an event at the end of October... (Gee, I wonder why those dates are open!)
Yep - so have I.... The AM sessions are cold. Last year - and the previous years - temps went up by 9AM.

About your friend who totalled his 996. "Stupid is as stupid does". Maybe he should have known better. Cold Track+cold tires= slow. Whatever event - at the driver's meeting - that should have been covered. Why it wasn't - I have no idea - I wasn't there.

And oh - I've also driven the Glen the last day before it closes. I came home with a "whole car".

John
Old 07-14-2004 | 11:53 PM
Jack667
Drifting

This photo (from the archives) was taken at the NNJR event at the Glen, October 9-10, 2000.

As you can see, there was snow at times, but we ran full sessions and it was great fun. You have probably heard that you should drive in the rain for the experience. Many people look forward to the rain. Same goes for snow and cold. Don't be a wimp!

Quick Reply: Track Event and Dinner Watkins Glen