Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got another one!

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2004, 11:57 PM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Got another one!

Yes folks, when you have one expensive project Porsche that drives your significant other crazy and threatens your financial viability, what's the logical thing to do?

Get another one, of course!

The latest addition is a "weathered" '79 924 - I picked it up for $100 from the original owner with 150K miles (not bad for a 1979 car). It's rough - has some dents and dings, messed up interior, etc. but I'm thinking about maybe fixing it up and giving it to a friend of mine who's in serious financial trouble (she has two kids, an "insignificant other" - her words - that doesn't contribute to taking care of them or her), a job that she can't advance at since she's always having to care for the kids, and a lease on a RAV-4 that she's always falling behind on and constantly getting threatened with reposession on. I figure why not fix the thing up and give it to her once it's restored to some semblance of respectability - then she can dump the car payment and have a kind of cool car at the same time!

Any SoCal people willing to contribute time / parts / $$$ to a worthwhile charitable project and save another Porsche at the same time? Let me know!
Old 07-13-2004, 12:06 AM
ERAU-944
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

giving her that car may be worse for her than better. for the car too. i suggest maybe fixing it up, selling it, then using the proceeds to buy her a honda or just giving her the proceeds
Old 07-13-2004, 12:11 AM
Dmitry S.
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Eyal is coming up this weekend to pick up his parts, maybe you can convince him to take home some parts for you. I have LOTS.
Old 07-13-2004, 12:13 AM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Maybe. . . I considered parting it, but I can't in good consience do that to a Porsche - even a rough one. I dunno, she loves Porsches (especially 911s, but there's no way I could afford to just give her one of those!) I figure the 924 isn't that bad a choice - it's a bit more "stable" than a 944 since its a non-interference engine (i.e. if a t-belt breaks, it's an inconvenience, not a total loss), reasonably safe (these cars have good crash characteristics), it has decent cargo space (hatch area basically the same as a 944), reasonable performance, and it is pretty reliable (let's face it, it's a VW in different skin).

Then again, I could just keep it and turn it into a track car. . .
Old 07-13-2004, 12:13 AM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

How in the heck do you dump a lease payment while you are still in it?
Old 07-13-2004, 12:17 AM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Well, anybody that can spare 924 parts is welcome to send them this way - they won't be wasted. Maybe this is a chance for the altruistic side of Rennlist to show itself and do some good! Anybody that contributes anything to the project gets to sign the big card I'm going to give her with the car; heck, you guys can even be there when I suprise her with the keys if you want.

I figure it'll take at least a few months though - it could use new seats (I was considering donating the ones in my 944 when I get my "good" ones back from the upholstery shop), an interior, engine mounts, a good solid tune-up on the engine (seals, all the consumables like oil, plugs, distributor, etc.), a couple of fenders (dented), a passenger's side door (same), some reasonably fresh carpet, etc. If people are really willing to help out with this, I'll post some pics and a big giant list of what's needed and try to set up some dates for wrenching.
Old 07-13-2004, 12:28 AM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm in, of course!
~Eyal
Old 07-13-2004, 12:39 AM
Jakerx
Hitsquad Ninja
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hey...im doing a rebuild of my 89 944 n/a engine...whatever spare parts i have (im sure some of them have to be the same) and whatever you need just tell me and they'll be shipped faster than u can say...well faster than u can say anything

jake
Old 07-13-2004, 12:46 AM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

I think she'd like to just dump the lease when it comes up in a few months and rid herself of the car payment. It's done her far more harm than good since her payment history has been so lousy trying to afford the kids and car payment and all the expenses on her part-time job. Then again, she can't really be without a car (she needs it for getting to her job and to drag the kids around and stuff).

I can't emphasize enough how much of a jackass the kids' father (in name only) is - he really doesn't do anything to take care of them. The guy is seriously useless but she has no choice but to stay with him since her family all lives out of state and there's no way she could afford (or probably even get approved for) an apartment on her own. She's trapped. This girl needs some serioius help or she's going to end up in bankruptcy or in a nuthouse. I figure it's just a way to do some small part and help a friend out, you know what I mean? It might just be the small step she needs towards trying to slowly rebuild her independence, which she's said she desparately wants to do.

Besides, what better use of the 'list than for a cause like this?
Old 07-13-2004, 12:49 AM
Dmitry S.
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I have motor mounts I can send down. I have a door too, but that's a bit harder.
Old 07-13-2004, 12:52 AM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Anyone know if there's a way to make this a tax-deductable project for those that contribute? Would I have to file a not-for-profit organization with the state or something? Any accountants or lawyers out there?
Old 07-13-2004, 12:56 AM
Don 944 LA
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can lend a hand when I stop by.... If ya can get off work and home earlier

I think I know more about the CIS on a 924 than my 944 from watching Brandos Beast come together and breath life.

Maybe a wrenching session during the week in the evening. Especially when I move up there..

BTW keep an eye open for a cheap place for me ( with garage for wrenchin )

Don
Old 07-13-2004, 12:59 AM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Actually the building right across from me is hurting for good tenants - I think the landlord was offering studios (they're reasonably sized too) for $650 or $700 with a garage. It's right across from the beach too. I'll ask my neighbor friend next time I see him if there are still openings.

Good to hear you're moving up this way - man, I don't know how you do that commute. I'd have lost it a long time ago!

Yea, the work schedule kind of sucks, I'm a slave to the 9 to 5 gig. . . then again, I'm starting a new job soon so maybe if I bust *** there for a few months I'll be able to take a day off here and there without problem. They love me so far
Old 07-13-2004, 01:49 AM
Bart
Nordschleife Master

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

So she's still living in the same home as the insignificant other?
Old 07-13-2004, 01:55 AM
NeedPorscheSpeed
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Porschephile, good job on that purchase; your plans for the car are admirably noble.

Quick Reply: Got another one!