Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Is Mr. Murphy zeroing in on me?
You'll get lucky!
27.27%
You're screwed!
72.73%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Mr. Murphy and oil leaks

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2004, 08:31 AM
BeerBurner
Unbannable
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 44 Posts
Default Mr. Murphy and oil leaks

So, yeah, the 944 recently decided to leak oil. I haven't investigated the source yet, but it's coming out from the passenger side of the belly pan. It's not a huge leak, but more than a tiny drip.

Anyway, since I'm going back to school, expensive car repairs are on my list of things to avoid. There are plenty of places that could leak that won't cause me too much concern because I can either fix it myself or just put it off. Conversely, it could be leaking from one of the front seals and getting all over the timing belt, which is about the only concern that I have. This week, I'll investigate.

Anywho, predictions? Will I be ok, or is a new timing belt in my future?

BB.
Old 07-11-2004, 09:33 AM
Predator
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Three years ago, I bought a '97 Nissan Sentra for my daughter to drive to school. I knew the front and rear seals were leaking, and was not looking forward to this repair. A friend suggested trying a new blend of oil, just being marketed by Valoline, Max-Life. I changed the oil using this product, and within 5 minutes of start-up, all leaks stopped! I've kept using Max-life and still have zero leaks and the car currently has 147k on the clock. There is an additive in Max-life that softens and swells the seals. Worked for me. Might be worth a try.
Old 07-11-2004, 09:42 AM
ERAU-944
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

how much is dripping? if it's not bad, it could be a myriad of things. balance shaft seal, oprv, oil pressure sending unit, etc. take a look at what it is, and if it's not that bad live with it for awhile. i wouldn't like the idea of anything swelling up my seals - i'd much rather get them replaced even if it took me a long time to do it... i need to learn. i'd say you would be OK with a small leak for a bit as long as it's not hitting the headers and making a smoky mess.

oh, and couldn't both answers on your poll be taken as the same thing?

hopfully Mr. Murphy won't find you then
Old 07-11-2004, 09:54 AM
BeerBurner
Unbannable
Rennlist Member

The dripping isn't too bad (at least compared to other cars I've seen). The car has been sitting for a week and a half and there is about 3-4 square inches of oil on the floor. Considring that I'm using Mobil1, that probably accounts for over half of it right there.

BB.
Old 07-11-2004, 12:38 PM
hoffman912
The Hoffinator
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts

hey, dont worry murphy doesnt just like to zero in on people, he likes to totally **** them. i know.. he's my copilot.

maybe switch from mobil 1 to real dino juice. its thicker, more viscous. synthetics make leakslook alot bigger han they really are generally.

you will have a new timing belt in the future regardless.. look at it this way, now you can avoid the rush.
Old 07-11-2004, 01:27 PM
Manning
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

More viscous? Isn't thermal viscosity thermal viscosity no matter what? I know the molecules are supposed to be smaller in synthetic, but rated viscosity should remain the same no matter what, right?
Old 07-11-2004, 01:39 PM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Beware any mechanic in a can (or bottle) soltution. Here's what the Mobil 1 website says about leaks. Now, they do have an axe to grind, but big companies are usually pretty accurate with theor public statements.

Mobil 1 does not cause leaks. In fact, new Mobil 1 with SuperSyn™ was tested in dozens of industry standard and OEM tests to prove its seal performance. It is fully compatible with the elastomeric materials from which all automotive seals and gaskets are made.

ExxonMobil engineers are wary of conventional oils that tout their use of additional seal-swelling agents. With extended use, these agents can over-soften engine seals, resulting in leaks. More to the point, an oil additive will not rejuvenate worn or damaged seals. The damaged seal may have been caused by a worn rotating metal component in the engine.

If an older engine is in good condition and does not have oil leaks, Mobil 1 with SuperSyn™ provides the same advantages as when used in a new engine. ExxonMobil recommends taking measures to repair the leaks, then using Mobil 1 with SuperSyn™. ExxonMobil also always recommends following the automobile manufacturer's manual for the proper oil to use.
Old 07-11-2004, 01:47 PM
BeerBurner
Unbannable
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by hoffman912
you will have a new timing belt in the future regardless.. look at it this way, now you can avoid the rush.
The good news is that it wouldn't be all that tragic since I'm scheduled for a new belt next summer anyway...

BB.
Old 07-11-2004, 02:32 PM
hoffman912
The Hoffinator
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts

i never said mobil 1 caused leaks. leaks are there regardless. what i said is that sythetics magnify the leaks.. (a small leak with dino will look like a bigger leak if you use synthetic).
Old 07-11-2004, 03:01 PM
BeerBurner
Unbannable
Rennlist Member

Which is also where I was going when I said that the synthetic probably accounts for half of the leak.

BB.
Old 07-11-2004, 04:26 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Beer, is the drip coming from the front or rear of the engine? If its the rear, it could be the rear cam housing gasket, $1.50 at the dealer. The gaskets made of cork and leaks after a while. Mine was leaking....just it wasnt the gasket, two of the three bolts holding the rear engine lift point / cover were missing. Beats me how that happened!
Old 07-11-2004, 04:37 PM
BeerBurner
Unbannable
Rennlist Member

It's coming from the front, and as near as I can tell it's somewhere under the area of the oil filter. I didn't notice it until I changed filters (that last one had a bad anti-drainback thingie), so I don't know if it's related. The filter is seated firmly, but I suppose it's possible that I got two messed up ones in a row...

BB.
Old 07-11-2004, 09:38 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by BeerBurner
It's coming from the front, and as near as I can tell it's somewhere under the area of the oil filter. I didn't notice it until I changed filters (that last one had a bad anti-drainback thingie), so I don't know if it's related. The filter is seated firmly, but I suppose it's possible that I got two messed up ones in a row...

BB.
Loose oil pressure sender? My old one was loose, I just replaced and have to check to make sure its ok... It better be, so I can be happy with a leak free 202k mile 951 engine
Old 07-12-2004, 12:52 AM
BeerBurner
Unbannable
Rennlist Member

That'd make me a happy camper.

BB.
Old 07-13-2004, 02:19 PM
BeerBurner
Unbannable
Rennlist Member

Hrm... I'm guessing that my new timing belt is coming a year early...

BB.

Last edited by BeerBurner; 02-07-2023 at 09:53 PM.

Quick Reply: Mr. Murphy and oil leaks