Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Attempting transmission rebuild - Advice?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2004, 10:03 PM
rihaa
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Attempting transmission rebuild - Advice?

I'm going to be taking out my transmission tomorrow and attempting to rebuild it over the next week or so. Anyone on the list done this and have any tips or advice for me?

And as a worst case scenario, anyone go thte name of a decent shop to bail me out if i get in over my head?

I've got the factory shop manuals to go by, they seem to be pretty comprehensive in terms of the innards of the tranny.

Also does anyone in SoCal have a special tool 9155 or know where they can be found? It is a gear selector for when the tranny isn't hooked up. My guess is that the local dealer won't have them.

Thanks in advance.
Old 07-09-2004, 10:11 PM
slowazzporsche
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

TAKE PICTURES... step by step, don't be afraid to take too many.. if you have a dig cam, put em on your comp and label them, I also reccomend writing things down, etc.
Old 07-09-2004, 10:48 PM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hey;

As long as you do not do anything that changes the shaft spacing, it is simply a matter of getting it back together right. In other words, it's bearing replacement that requires the shim sets and the knowledge of how to set them up for lash.

If you only do synchros, then it will still be in tolerance (assuming it was before). If you do bearings, then your lash/end play settings will be gone and then you need some fairly sophisticated knowledge to do it right.

They are not like a Muncie!
Old 07-09-2004, 11:05 PM
Jim @ EuroWerks
Burning Brakes

Lay everything out as you take it apart. The digital is a great Idea. Remember that to many notes is better than not enough. Pay particular attention to the manual on what order to take out the shafts (main and pinion) and shift shafts. DRAIN THE TRANNY BEFORE YOU TAKE IT OUT OF THE CAR!!!! And be nice to your mother.
Old 07-09-2004, 11:15 PM
rihaa
Racer

Well as far as I can tell I will definately be doing the ring and pinion bearing replacement. I've got the airplane landing type noise under deceleration and backlash that are typical of that. This tended to be a big problem with the 968's and some of the later 944s because of the preload being set too high.

I've got all the info on what shims to use and stuff as well as the measurements. They are all contained in the shop manuals.
Old 07-09-2004, 11:24 PM
John D.
Banned

Received 56 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Re: Attempting transmission rebuild - Advice?

Originally posted by rihaa
I'm going to be taking out my transmission tomorrow.....
Hmmm - pulling a tranny and installing a different one is about 2 hours total time.. Beginning beer to last CV joint bolt....

Ask Andy how I know......

Also - you do not have to drain the tranny before taking it out - however, loosen the fill and drain plug while it's in the car (it's easier then on the garage floor) and retighten just a bit. When you get it out - simply unscrew the drain plug over an oil pan.

As you remove the gear clusters - set them in order as you remove them and lay them out on several sheets of newspaper. You'll spend more time taking digiital pictures which you won't use, then spending time actually rebuilding....

John
Old 07-09-2004, 11:48 PM
Jim @ EuroWerks
Burning Brakes

John, do you not think it's easier to drain the fluid with the tranny held up in the car? Chris, do you have a turning torque meter?
Old 07-09-2004, 11:52 PM
John D.
Banned

Originally posted by Jim @ EuroWerks
John, do you not think it's easier to drain the fluid with the tranny held up in the car? ...
If it was a G50/40 - 41 or even a 915 or 901 - yes.

But - it's not.

It's easily carried by one person - and the oil can be drained without laying on your back - scurrying for a pan as oil is dripping into your face.... And then the seepage gets all over the case - which lands on your shirt, as you drop it.....

Do it out after it's out the car. It's easier. Trust me.

John
Old 07-09-2004, 11:55 PM
Jim @ EuroWerks
Burning Brakes

different strokes for different folks !
Old 07-10-2004, 12:09 AM
John D.
Banned

Originally posted by Jim @ EuroWerks
different strokes for different folks !
Awww - for want of a LIFT!!! Now - if I had a lift!!!

Honestly - as I said, I found it easier to loosen the fill/drain plugs while under the car - but drain after it's out.....

Different strokes?? You bet - did you see the pics from the 944Fest? - someone actually photoshopped me under a 944 changing a tranny!! I swore if anyone posted those I'd ban them..

Best to you, Jim...!

John
Old 07-10-2004, 12:17 AM
Mike C.
Drifting

Rihaa, please post back letting us know how it goes. I still have my old tranny with a broken pinion gear in the garage and have been thinking about tearing into it....
Old 07-10-2004, 12:23 AM
Jim @ EuroWerks
Burning Brakes

Chris, If you have an inch lb torque meter, You can fix this with no guess work. Let me know if you do. Just say No to guess work! Thanks John, I'm ready to be a member!
Old 07-10-2004, 02:08 AM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Well,
I have done alot of 944 jobs myself... Guess whichs one I had a shop do for me...

1) Aligment and Cornerbalance

2) Tranny Rebuild

I did not feel comfortable learing on a 944 Turbo S LSD unit.

Good luck...

John D... The digitial pictires are not for him! They are for us!
Old 07-10-2004, 07:21 PM
Swagger93
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My friend's mr2 turbo tranny wasn't too tough, and neither was my saab 9000's. I remember we needed a press for some things on my friend's mr2 tranny though...he did some bearings and all the syncro rings.
Old 07-10-2004, 10:14 PM
rihaa
Racer

Having issues right now getting the plastic protective tube for the shift linkage out or the torque tube housing. Also any advice on the sleeve that connects the input shaft to the drive shaft in the same housing area? Basically you have to slide it off to disconnect the two, and we are having a hell of a time doing that.

Quick Reply: Attempting transmission rebuild - Advice?