Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

This guys hates YOU!

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2004, 07:00 AM
KenC
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default This guys hates YOU!

I live here in Memphis, TN and there are about only 5 different place around that Porsche cars can be worked on. I have kept hearing about one guy who is top notch and everyone (911 owners I've spoken to) seems to praise his work. (Pat Williams, Owner of German Auto, Memphis, TN)

So I am now in need of getting a clutch job done. I called about 4 places around to get the work done. His being one of them. WOW...The receptionist told me that he doesn't work on 944's. She got him on the phone. He said the reason he doesn't work on 944's is because he HATES the owners not the cars, that he has raced many 944's and loves them. It's the owners that always want a DEAL and never seem to want to get the whole problem fixed due to money issues. He told me that he would work on my car.....I told him thanks for his time and hung up!

Funny thing is I never once asked him for a deal or to cut corners, money wasn't an issue with me, I wanted the complete job done and anything else he found along the way, but he didn't get a chance to know that due to his blanket bias and prejudice against all 944 owners. Little did he know, I would have paid him what he wanted.

I'm glad that there are some people out there that are fortunate enough to get what they want and ask for. But I don't like people like that, who don't have an understanding of those who aren't as fortunate and may ask for a DEAL once and a while...that's to be expected in his line of work. God forbid, but someday his life may change and he may find himself going to someone and asking for a DEAL. Sounds like he needs a reality check..Not wishing for anything bad to happen to the guy, but sometimes that's what it takes is to experience hardship in order to gain some compassion and empathy towards others!
Old 07-07-2004, 07:07 AM
Songzzz
Burning Brakes

Agree. I have met a couple of guys like him... in general, they think most 944 owners are cheapskates.
Old 07-07-2004, 07:43 AM
pete944
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

The guy is an "asschasm".*

*-Thanks UDPride for the word of the day.
Old 07-07-2004, 08:10 AM
Predator
Pro

Ken... As you read a lot of the threads on this list, you'll realize why he has preduice against owners of 944's. If you can get the car to Nashville, hell, we can slap a clutch in that puppy on a Saturday. I've got a lift in my garage, and its no big deal! PM me and let me know if you're interested.
Old 07-07-2004, 08:33 AM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ken;

Good call, Predator.

I can understand why you don't understand. It seems draconian. However, if you were in his shoes, dealing with what he deals with, feeling the way he apparently does about being involved with Porsches, you would.

I understand.
Old 07-07-2004, 09:27 AM
KenC
Addict
Rennlist Member

Predator: Man, thats real cool of you! Thought about it, but doesn't seem feasable. Have a trailer that would work, however my aging Jeep Cherokee V6 would be dead by the time I made it there...Towed some dirt on the trailer last month, and the SUV's never been the same..LOL

Plus I hear it's a BIG, long job. Like 16 hrs. thats two days with you... And trust me - I'm not Mech. inclined, I'd be little help..I'd be like the Doctors assistant in the OR. Just handing you the tools..LOL

It would allow my girlfriend two days in a hotel and shopping she said! Something tells me I'd be spending more in that adventure then the labor costs here.

But it's good to know your close by...I am pondering the V-8 Conv. maybe next year.....

Thank's so much for the offer, very kind!!!!!
Old 07-07-2004, 09:28 AM
slowazzporsche
Racer

cheapskates? i've found in my experience as soon as you say "porsche" their eyes turn into dollar signs.. but that's just up here, where nicer cars are less abundant and over-sized suv's and big work trucks run rampant :P
Old 07-07-2004, 09:30 AM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

He's probably been stiffed once or twice buy a 944 owner when his exorbidant labor rates eclipsed the vehicle's worth and he was stuck with a vehicle.

Let the 911 guys line his pocket. We'll cut him out of the loop. I have learned in the last 6 years there isnt anything you cant fix on these cars with sources like Clarks-garage, Rennlist and the feedback here.

It seems that somebody here is always willing to step up and help you, whether it's an opinion, experience, parts or labor.
Old 07-07-2004, 09:45 AM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Well, a lot of us that have these cars have one because we couldn't afford a 911 or are saving up for one. OR have a NA and are hoping to save up for a turbo. Gotta expect a little dealmaking going on. I'm not downing our cars at all. But it's simply truth. I bet over 75 percent of us here would take a 911 of that year over the 944 of that year. But hey.. there are also some mechanics out there who will OFFER you a deal because he knows your just a kid trying to keep a classic Porsche going. You win some, you lose some!
Old 07-07-2004, 10:12 AM
Geo
Race Director

I see both sides of this.

On one hand, this guy is right. Think about all the poorly maintained 944s out there. How many times do we talk about the most expensive 944 being a cheap one? That's because the PO neglected a lot. Didn't do what was necessary to keep it up. This guy has probably seen a lot of that.

Most of us here at Rennlist are a different breed. Some of us bring them back from near death (and others of us use them for what God intended a Porsche for ).

OTOH, I'm shocked that he gave you an ear full first. That was uncalled for. Then again, I didn't hear the conversation. Was it one to ensure you would do it right (don't think so since it sounds you didn't get to that) or was it simply a rant? Unfortunately I think it was a missed opportunity for both sides. He could have found out there truly are 944 owners who aren't just using the cars up and actually want to keep proper care of them and refurbish them. I'm afraid this may have just reinforced his self-fulfilling prophecy.
Old 07-07-2004, 10:22 AM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Devon- It's easy to say we would all WANT a 911.. having never owned one the grass is greener on the other side.

I DO recall how much my brother dumped into his 72 Targa and how little he spent on his 914.
He preferred the handling and performance "go kart" of the 914. He just liked the looks he got in a Guards with the ducktail better. He is in NO way mechanically inclined. He was a cop and still got hosed by mechanics- even the ones who WOULD work on his aircooler.

He took a huge beating on selling the 911. It was an Illinois car with some rust and it needed a clutch. He's never owned or driven a watercooler so he cant really compare the 2- he just knows the smile I get driving mine everyday.

Not having owned a 911 and the maintenance issues, I prefer mine.
Having driven a early 70's 911, Harry's 912 and an 80 SC- they are fun.. I doubt any would be a suitable vehicle in snow. If I had a garage with an empty bay for a garage queen and a spare 25 grand, I'd be looking for a couple of 951's. One to drive and one to stick in a bubble to look at.

Not me buddy.. I'm a watercooler.
Old 07-07-2004, 10:35 AM
RMills944
Drifting

Ken, the place I've mostly gone are European Servicewerks and Memphis Motorworks off Macon Rd. I will say that a clutch at Memphis Motorworks is about $1300. I'd find a way to do it yourself if possible. Memphis Motorworks does know what they are doing seeing as they race-prep cars all the time. They are the only place around that I've seen a 917 at too!

Predator, I'll have to remember you as I'm out in Nashville every couple months. I don't need anything done now, but the car is slowly being restored now.
Old 07-07-2004, 11:09 AM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

What a jackass - "F" him. Do the work yourself or find a mechanic that will respect you and your limitations. You're the customer, you're right. It's your money and you - not he - has the right to spend it how you want. If you tell him to do $100 worth of work and there's $500 required, he can point it out, but ultimately if you decide "thanks for letting me know, but that's a bit steep and I'll have to do the other $400 worth of stuff mysel or at another timef", that's YOUR call.

Find a decent mechanic that understands PEOPLE, not just wealthy ****** that are willing to throw money at their problems.
Old 07-07-2004, 11:11 AM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,204 Likes on 1,243 Posts

I have to agree with Geo, I'm good friends with the owners of two different foreign shops. Both are mostly German.

I see this happen all the time, with any Porsche, not just 944's:

Car is dropped off with some "minor problem" (so the owner thinks)
Gets a call about the repair - usually over $1,000
The owner freaks, picks up the car, pays for the diagnoses and finds the cheapest place in town to fix it.
Usually within a year that same car is being towed in with a much worse problem then before.
Old 07-07-2004, 11:23 AM
macnewma
Addict
Rennlist Member

Yeah, I spoke to a mechanic here locally who specializes in 911s and he didn't single out 944s at all, but mentioned the problem. He said it has been worse in the past 2-3 years due to the economy. He actually doesn't make appointments because people flake out so often. He seemed to take it in stride though.

This mechanic is obviously a moron though. If he doesn't want to work on 944s, fine. But don't insult a potential customer. Maybe you just moved to town and needed some work on your 944...but in a month you would need him to race-prep your 935 that you race in historics and some maintenance on the 959 you keep in your climate controlled garage...just bad business.

Max

Quick Reply: This guys hates YOU!