Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

P/S leak at junction between hose and reservoir; think I can save the hose?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2004, 09:40 PM
KLR
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default P/S leak at junction between hose and reservoir; think I can save the hose?

I finally had the damnedest thing happen. I've been hunting around for a really trivial leak near the right front of the motor for a while (literally just leaves a couple of drops a week) and just found that it finally stopped of it's own accord for three weeks straight. I mean, bone dry stopped. So I start thinking about it and check the PS fluid (er... ATF). Sure enough, it's down to the min mark on the dipstick. I filled her up to the max mark and... now I can actually see it leaking.

It looks like it's seeping over the top of the hose where it connects to the reservoir right by the oil filter (i.e., it looks like it is traveling up past the hose clamp and just barely dribbling over the top (the hose connects from the bottom). Does anyone have bets on whether the reservoir is cracked, the hose end is cracked, or the hoseclamp just needs to be tightened? What are the odds that I can just cut off the end of the hose and reclamp it?

Normally, I would just dive into this helter skelter, but I need to take a trip to the poconos this weekend with my wife and don't want to end up disabling the car beforehand with a cracked reservoir that I can't put back in the hose or a cracked hose that I can't get back on the reservoir. OTOH, I suppose that I don't much feel like traveling with the thing broken, either. It's probably been like this for a long time. The PO's mechanic was looking for a right side oil leak for about a year before I got the car. He even resorted to replacing the oil pressure sender after the cooler seals and front end reseal didn't get it.
Old 07-06-2004, 11:16 PM
Charlie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

I would check the clamp first, try to tighten and watch for leaks. Hose may need replacing.
Old 07-06-2004, 11:36 PM
Jakerx
Hitsquad Ninja
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hey...there are so many people who have p/s leaks fro m there...mine's leaking from the reservoir itself...im replacing it during this rebuild im doing...if i can get my starter unbolted first that is
Old 07-07-2004, 12:00 AM
KLR
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, so it can actually be the reservoir itself that leaks? Do you have a split seam?
Old 07-07-2004, 12:23 AM
Mike Murcia
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I've been told that the nipple that the hose attaches to is not smooth after the casting, and there is actually a ridge that causes this leak. To fix it, remove the reservoir and sand the ridges smooth. You might need to cut the hose past the old clamping spot to make a tight new connection. Good luck!
Old 07-07-2004, 01:20 AM
Jakerx
Hitsquad Ninja
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yea it can actually be the reservoir that leaks klr...but what do you mean by split seam?
Old 07-07-2004, 03:22 PM
Plum
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't remember where I found this but I saved it and did it for my leak
and it worked great.

A number of people were asking me for some details on fixing the leaks. I have mailed off the MS Word document to a few people but I realized that the document does not contain the P/Ns for the updated clamps. Part of the procedure in fixing the leaks was replacing the line clamps at the reservoir end. These are zebra clamps, you can probably get them at many places. Try to get some w/ rounded edges so the clamp does not cut into the lines.

I bought the clamps from Porsche. The small size clamp is, I believe, 999.512.450.02 and cost me $0.90 at the dealer. The bigger size clamp is 999.512.346.02, costs $2.30.
Old 07-07-2004, 05:48 PM
sm
Drifting

Received 70 Likes on 59 Posts

I had the same problem and fixed it by moving the existing hose clamp up (or down) so that it gets *fresh* meat to grab on. Since the clamp has probably been clamped tight around the same spot on the hose for 16+ years, it doesn't get as good a grip anymore.
Old 07-07-2004, 06:01 PM
skene
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Same thing happend to me. I replaced a section of hose there and no more leaks.

Quick Reply: P/S leak at junction between hose and reservoir; think I can save the hose?