Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The horror just wont end.

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2004, 04:19 PM
Rock
Lazer Beam Shooter
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Peckster man, when stuff like this happens you have to laugh. I mean, what good is being pissed off gonna do me? Ive been there and done that. I used to get pissed at the car and that didnt help me or the car out. Now i just look at this and laugh, because hey, life is funny!
Old 07-06-2004, 04:25 PM
Travis - sflraver
Site Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

At least you wern't racing a garbage truck when the hood blew off.
Old 07-06-2004, 04:59 PM
alpenweissisnice
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Screw 'em all, Rock. I say cut a big-*** hole in your hood and don't worry about the latches. Then, when it tries to take flight, you can still see the highway and keep your foot to the firewall.

Hang tough, my brotha...
Old 07-06-2004, 05:55 PM
Rock
Lazer Beam Shooter
Rennlist Member

Xsboost, Travis, Alpine -Perfect examples of rennlisters. Why cant more people be like them?
Old 07-06-2004, 06:08 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Why not just run it without the hood? Think of the superior cooling advantages!

Seriously, is it legal to do that? Ive done it a few times going for a quick testdrive in my development with my buddy in his '68 Mustang. People looked at us funny.
Old 07-06-2004, 06:11 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

You know it's springtime in Ohio when the Camaros and Novas can be seen running around with their hoods off.
Old 07-06-2004, 06:23 PM
FormulaOne10
Pro

No no silly, see the hood was down all the way, except the broken *** latch was off. It worked pretty damn well until i gave her a little more power.
Actually, you did exactly what I thought. Amazingly stupid...even for a 16 year old. Your attitude towards the situation fits the low level of thought that went into making this mistake in the first place. I'm 100% with Predator here (even if he is a Chevy 350 SOB) . A little less than 5 years ago I was 16 years old...and I would never have attempted anything so careless. Natural selection is a wonderful thing...just keep it safe for the other drivers on the road.
Old 07-06-2004, 06:24 PM
Rock
Lazer Beam Shooter
Rennlist Member

I should lol.
Old 07-06-2004, 06:41 PM
jaibeiber
Pro

look, the car was free, and the hood was in need of replacing anyways. let rock get a laugh out of it. i am sure he was more alert then someone on the phone, while eating, smoking, shifting, and reading a map. he will eventually learn. we are here to help not shut down. so both predater and formula, you gave him each one cold prickley, now lets see three warm fuzzies.
Old 07-06-2004, 07:13 PM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Originally posted by Rock
Peckster man, when stuff like this happens you have to laugh. I mean, what good is being pissed off gonna do me? Ive been there and done that. I used to get pissed at the car and that didnt help me or the car out. Now i just look at this and laugh, because hey, life is funny!
Well, that's an approach, but let me offer you some advice. Laugh in private next time.

The same thing happened to me with a beater truck years ago, but at least I had a bungee cord holding the thing down, and the truck wouldn't go more than 70!

If you live long enough, virtually everything will happen to you. You got this learning experience out of the way early.
Old 07-06-2004, 07:21 PM
elf89
Pro

Originally posted by alpenweissisnice
Screw 'em all, Rock. I say cut a big-*** hole in your hood and don't worry about the latches. Then, when it tries to take flight, you can still see the highway and keep your foot to the firewall.
Didn't read the hyphen correctly and thought we was advising Rock to cut a big a**hole on his hood!

Good luck with the fix, Rock. I'd consider an aftermarket windshield without the embedded antenna if it's cheaper. Get one of Travis' 968-style roof-mount antennae and you'll get better reception to boot.
Old 07-06-2004, 07:34 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Lol, Rock, you just need to drop the keys and walk away from driving for awhile
Old 07-06-2004, 07:45 PM
inactiveuser92616
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

oh please, hoods blowing up are relatively minor; cut the kid some slack. On my old car, I did some truly, amazingly stupid things.

One of the hot things to do for the car (Geo Storm) was to upgrade to rear disk brakes; stolen from it's slightly more upscale sister car, the Isuzu Impulse. Well, I went through the swap, had some problems, but got through most of them. (one of the biggest being scarcity of replacement parts, much harder to find than with this car) When it was all buttoned up, my only problem was that I just couldnt get the parking brake system to work anymore, but hell I thought, I can just leave it in gear when I park it.
My friend Dave and I are really excited, it is late, and we are finished. We decide to go out for a test drive, to see how the new brakes worked. I drove down my driveway, and slammed on the brakes. DAMN! that thing just stopped on a dime. Kept doing the same routine on down the road from higher and higher speeds, just being amazed at the new braking power, it stops really hard and also makes this cool new whirring sound each time you stomp on the brakes. I drive it down a twisty country road near my house, to check out the new suspension as well (swapped in the isuzu impulse, lotus tuned suspension package at the same time). Damn, with the brakes and handling, this thing is like a race car. I decide its only fair to let Dave try it out too, since he helped put all this crap in. I stop, we switch places, and he goes back through the tight curves, using the brakes to really go ***** out. About halfway down a long straightaway, Dave decides to experience some more amazing brake power. He sure thinks he is clumsy, he must have hit the clutch with his right foot, because the pedal went straight to the floor. No... that is the brake pedal. He sucks in his breath, and says "Um... Pat? Um... the brakes arent working anymore." I just laughed, figured he was being an ***. "No... they really arent working. NO BRAKES!" He pulled the e-brake... but yeah... we didn't get that working yet...
Luckily we still had about a mile to work with, and were only going 45. So he just runs it down through the gears, and we flinstone brake it once its going about 10. We swapped seats, and I limped it home; luckily encountering no one on the 2 AM roads. What had happend was the cool whirring noise was the brake hose, when under pressure, was pushing out against the tire. The tire eventually cut through the hose, and no more brakes. The hose was able to get in contact because it was the incorrect length hose, because not even the dealer could provide hoses for the rear brakes on a lotus suspension Impulse XS. Another board member told me that on his AutoX car he got the front storm hoses to work, so I did that. I must have routed it differently though. Sure was a cool noise.

Lesson learned, backup systems are there for a reason. If he hadnt whimsically decided to toss me forward in my seat on a straightway, we would have gone through a barricade and into a farmhouse when the road T-ed. We all do stupid **** at some point; the thing is you have to learn from it. nowadays I have a sixth sense when I am about to do something stupid.
Old 07-06-2004, 08:40 PM
pearldrum944
Drifting

Received 73 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally posted by tifosiman
You know it's springtime in Ohio when the Camaros and Novas can be seen running around with their hoods off.
What about firebirds? rock has a firebird...
Old 07-06-2004, 08:43 PM
pearldrum944
Drifting

Received 73 Likes on 14 Posts

Patrat, that's one of my biggest fears...kind of wierd that I think about it alot.

Quick Reply: The horror just wont end.