Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My car wants to be an air-cooled

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2004, 02:02 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default My car wants to be an air-cooled

That's the only reason I can think that the water pump is dying at 15,000 miles since it was installed....

So, here is what I'm thinking MAY have caused it to fail....
-Used the 9201 incorrectly and tightened the belt too much, thus putting a pressure diagonally on the belt, thus wearing out the water pump bearing to fail

-could be a very crapily refurbished water pump.

either way, I'm not happy about it....and am now shopping around for a new one...
Old 07-04-2004, 03:49 PM
ljd-924SE
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

where did your refurbished unit come from? paragon?

i'm currently debating purchasing a new or refurbished unit.
Old 07-04-2004, 04:48 PM
hoffman912
The Hoffinator
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts
Default Re: My car wants to be an air-cooled

of course it wants to be air cooled. all porsches are air cooled and naturally want to be air cooled

yes.. come to the dark side.. you like the dark side.. mmm.. air..

ok ok.. lets get serious now..

do you know for a fact if you used the tool incorrectly and tightened the belt too much or is this an assumption?

who did you get the rebuilt water pump from? a reputable source? a questionable source? a source with no real known back ground as far as quality goes (ie generic supplier?)

is it under warrenty? either way if you know that you installed it correctly and you are not at fault, call the supplier up and ask them about it, and why their product would fail. dont do this if you know you installed it wrong as then they wouldnt be at fault and you would be m,aking an *** of your self. if its a shoddy product, there is no love loss if they say no to warrenty or any kind of assistance (ie.. i wouldnt go there again).

get a rebuilt or new one from somone reputable, who always has god service and products and supports rennlist. personally id go for completely new if available, seeing as how this is one of the most important parts of your car.

Old 07-04-2004, 05:17 PM
ACG
Addict
Rennlist Member

My advice is...never get a refurbished water pump. Same thing happened on my 951. Water pump seized after 1-1/2 years and stripped the belt. Thank goodness that I immediately stopped running the engine when I saw the water temp spike up suddenly on the gauge. A few more minutes and I could have a belt failure!
Old 07-05-2004, 01:06 AM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Hoffman, I'm not too sure about using the tool incorrectly...and I do believe that the belt would snap long before the water pump bearing would die.

As for the location of purchase, I got it at Zim's Autotechnik. I'll call them up and see about a warrenty. I'm going to buy my next one brand new from Paragon Products at $233.00. No more refurbished for me.

Also, When doing a water pump, I do know I'll need a thermostat and snap ring. what else should I replace? For fear that I got coolant on the belts, should I replace them as well as an antifreeze coolant is corrosive? I also have on order a PS belt...but the parts for the pump, belts, etc that I've come up with is about $400.00. does that sound about right? Thanks guys...

P.S. Hoffman, Air cooled is bad for you....you should convert to the ways of the water.
Old 07-05-2004, 01:20 AM
hoffman912
The Hoffinator
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts

ive always had great sucess with zims. hes always been a good suplier for the air cooled crowd (maybe hes not a water kinda guy?).

his service has always been good too. i would definitly call up zims and talk to em see what they can do, as most rebuilt parts have warrenties. (whatever you do dont tell em that you did anything wrong) if they wont do a warrenty you might want to see what kinda deal they can cut you on a buy since you'll be buying hundreds of dollars worth of other stuff? maybe try same with paragon too..

either way buy new. worth the money in the long run, compared to the trouble.
Old 07-05-2004, 12:59 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

so do I need a new timing belt and balance belt to make sure that things are perfect and reduce the chances of a devastating snapping of the belt?
Old 07-05-2004, 01:52 PM
pete944
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

The belts are cheap in comparison to the damage a weak or stretched belt may cause. If you're replacing the pump, get new belts.
Old 07-05-2004, 11:48 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

K

Quick Reply: My car wants to be an air-cooled