Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flamingeye LED Dial Illumination Kit

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2004 | 11:35 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

flamingeye, in your opinion do you think the red LED's are harsh on the eyes after looking at then for a while? I like the unique look of the red, but i figure after a few hours of having too look at it i would think otherwise. Ocean blue seems like it would be a nice alternative to the white which wouldnt drive my eyes crazy. Since you have actually seen these in person, what do you think?
Old 07-14-2004 | 06:51 AM
flamingeye
Instructor

In reply to Techno Duck question.
In the past I owned a Fiat Coupe 20v Turbo, the dial illumination was red. I found it quite appealing and it was not a problem to look at over a prolonged period. As this colour came with the car I accepted it whereas, if I were to choose a colour myself it maybe wouldn't be red. I have the neon blue one in my car ( the photo of this, is of the one in my car, must get some better shots)
The whole thing about this, is personal taste and colour/brightness is subjective.
I don't think it is as harsh as you may think. Photos aren't always representative. The pics I have are as close to how they look, but continuing to get better ones.
If you are not sure about the red, then maybe go for the ocean blue. The neon blue may not be to everyones taste.
(Don't submarines use red for illumination, or have I just made that up?)
Cheers!
Old 07-14-2004 | 07:21 AM
david fracolli
Three Wheelin'

Count me in. Not sure if I should have them sent to the U.S. or Ireland though!
Old 07-14-2004 | 08:23 AM
mike_hammond
Instructor

At a few £'s each maybe for some of the more economy minded guys who can't afford these very nice spangley lights that Flamingeye is selling.

They would need a bit more work but it can be done.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...909762603&rd=1

Mike
Old 07-14-2004 | 08:40 AM
flamingeye
Instructor

I agree, a cheap alternative!
Things to consider:
The ones on e-bay are one and a half inches long/ the light bar in the 944 measures three and a quarter inches.
They don't give a figure for the mcd. (the brightness)
Or the nm
Or viewing angle
These use 3mm leds. I use 5mm leds
You have to figure out how to attach them.(Screw them in???)
You can probably solder these.
If you just put them in line with the aperture you will probably get shadowing, with mine the angled protruding lens reflects the light up above the sides into the dial cluster.
The choice is yours!
Old 07-14-2004 | 09:13 AM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Jon, red lighting will be fine for extended viewing. It is a tried and true color for instrumentation especially to prevent the loss of night vision. That is why they use it on ships. Though night vision probably isn't as important now with all the fancy radar, sonar and standoff weapons.
Old 07-14-2004 | 09:28 AM
flamingeye
Instructor

Originally posted by IceShark
Jon, red lighting will be fine for extended viewing. It is a tried and true color for instrumentation especially to prevent the loss of night vision. That is why they use it on ships. Though night vision probably isn't as important now with all the fancy radar, sonar and standoff weapons.
So does that mean I wasting my time getting in touch with the navy now?

Forgot to add on previous reply. I did some ultra violet light bars, but I think prolonged viewing wouldn't be good as well as the after image they leave. But if any one wants them...?
Old 07-14-2004 | 09:46 AM
mike_hammond
Instructor

I admit there is a market for this stuff and those that will pay for it, but LED's are for nothing and so is the circuitry to control them, plastic injection moulding is cheap "once setup !!". I'm all for making a living but not stiffing folk via the Porsche badge. At £75 a set its better and shows how much margin there is to be played with

But I do think at your normal proposed RRPs your way OTT especially when you consider some folk are only buying these cars for a few thousand in the first place. Much better to be realistic and turnover more than to be greedy and only sell a dozen.

Porsche seems to be a licence to print money for too many people IMO thats why I like forums, information sharing, genuine help and friendship. Not so sure about selling wares for commercial gain on open forums though.

Mike
Old 07-14-2004 | 10:28 AM
flamingeye
Instructor

In reply to Mike Hammond
Firstly, I admit that when you the read the first post I made, it looks like I am just selling my wares. The history of this was a reply to another thread about dim dash bulbs. I replied to this thread with the solution I had come up with, not wanting to hi-jack the thread I asked if anyone was interested. Hence starting a new thread, this one.
Secondly, LEDs etc are only relatively inexpensive if you spend time sourcing them. My time isn't free. They are not injection molded. I have spent alot of time developing this kit. Again, my time isn't free!
Assembling a kit is done by hand (mine) this way I take the knocks as well as the rolls.
I am not using the Porsche name to generate money, I happen to own a Porsche and this is the result from solving my own problem. I am aware of how this may look.
A group buy was asked for on this forum. I am aware of the US market pound v dollar, hence the discount.
I came to 'sell' on this forum by chance. I agree it is something that not everyone would agree with. But, although I am new to Rennlist it does seem a bit more open, and I have seen other 'wares' for sale. Such as the 'carbon fibre' thread which is actually of great interest. Ok they are not selling at the moment buy certainly creating alot of potential customers.
Rennlist is not as stifled and censoring as the forum we both have here in the UK. I haven't seen any complaints from the guys in the US.
Basically, it is up to the Rennlist moderators to decide if I have stepped over the line. Maybe you should complain to them.
I am quite happy if I have upset anyone for this thread to be removed!
Moderators?????
Old 07-14-2004 | 10:48 AM
Riff
Rennlist Member

Are the LED's adjustable for brightness? or does the rheostat for the dash become null and void???

Thanks,
Old 07-14-2004 | 10:57 AM
flamingeye
Instructor

Riff
Because LEDs work in a different way to conventional bulbs the cars own dimmer switch will not dim them noticeably. Each colour is set to a brightness.
I am now working on a dimmer option, only the prototype is being played with at the moment and can't give any time scale. But it won't be for some time.
Old 07-14-2004 | 11:01 AM
mike_hammond
Instructor

Don't get me wrong here, I'm commenting on the general Porsche market place for the lower price Porsche's such as ours.

I don't think you should not have a window on here and I certainly wouldn't complain to the moderators about it, the more products that come to the market the better it encourages competition and provides the consumer with greater choice.

Yes you do have to cover your costs I don't blame you. I suppose the main thrust is the price, if you can afford to do them at £75 for a group buy how can you realisticly justify £100+ in the norm, or do you subscribe to the rip off Britain Culture that Blair and his cronies seem so keen to promote. OK if people buy them at full price then great, make hay while the sun shines and no one has complained about your activities, but quite a few folk backed off earlier on the thread because of the cost of this item.

So to sum up, I'm trying in a roundabout sort of way to help you pitch your price right. To please more people will ultimately give you a higher turnover, which in turn reduces your costs as you'll be able to do batch work rather than expensive one offs (by expensive I mean in time).
If however demand out strips supply then thats the time to put the prices up !

Anyway, good luck I can see a big market for this if you pitch it right

Just promise me you won't start on LED Washer Jets

Mike
Old 07-14-2004 | 06:59 PM
MachSchnell
Pro

Personally I don't think the price is too out of whack - heck, at $140 on the group buy, I'm only paying 40% more than I paid for a new reflector assembly (which I probably overpaid for, but still) and this time I get a permanent solution, which also looks a lot better. It's his discretion whether he wants to charge or not, and the market will dictate his success with the non-group pricing. Mine are hopefully on the way in the next day or two, so we'll see how they turn out when they do arrive!
Old 07-18-2004 | 08:48 PM
flamingeye
Instructor

Thanks to you all for your interest and kind words, and above all to you guys for your orders. Hopefully, the first couple will be touching down soon.
What is of interest for me, is the fact that all colours and all options have been asked for. You are all so different!
To those who have ordered I sincerely hope you like the kit, and thankyou!!!
Happy motoring!
Cheers
Darren
Old 07-18-2004 | 09:50 PM
951Porschiste
Addict
Rennlist Member

So what is the price of this kit (in $). It seems to have changed as this thread progressed...

Do you ship to Canada?

Quick Reply: Flamingeye LED Dial Illumination Kit