Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flamingeye LED Dial Illumination Kit

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2004, 11:46 AM
flamingeye
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Packshot
Attached Images  
Old 07-03-2004, 12:26 PM
flamingeye
Instructor

Macnewma. The install is very simple. Take out the original optical, put in its place the one from the kit. (It already has a sticky pad attached, so no messing with velcro etc. The kit contains everything you need, except the tools of course! Also, a sticky pad to stick the connectors to cluster to make it tidy) Take out the original bulbs from their holders, put the 'bulb plugs'
into the holders. Feed the wire through the aperture, attach connectors and plug together.
Check for correct polarity! All this simply means is- if a set do not light, unplug connector turn one half 180 deg. reconnect, it will then light!
Thats it!
On the subject of price, I understand that some may think it's a bit pricey. But, this has not been put together in a back shed! It is a composite of casting/vac forming/polycarb/and a lot of time and money etc etc. To give some indication of quality, I have been a modelmaker/special effects for a few years more that I care to remember.
Still on the subject of price, once I start supplying companies then my hands are tied on price as I can't undercut the person I'm supplying to.

Last month we were paying £1.00 for one litre of petrol..... yes.. no typo! I do realise markets are different.

As I don't seem to have any luck uploading a decent photo of the four colours, anyone interested e-mail me your address so I can send an attachment. You can then e-mail me with your colour preference order (please note the final assembly is only made to order)

darrenflamingeye@aol.com

Cheers
Old 07-03-2004, 01:35 PM
Randy_J
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK who's tried Cold Cathode Tubes as described by Kopelli above - for lighting up computer cases (!) @$13.95

http://www.crazypc.com/Merchant2/mer..._Code=PV2-8242

Old 07-03-2004, 02:25 PM
Perry 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 53 Posts

Looks like a good kit.... I sure am glad I halted the work on my injection molded parts. I finished an EDM carbon black die a few months back so I could get a work die. Just as I was ready to start pumping these out, my manufacturer contacted me. Because of US Patent Law, I cannot use some of the same manufacturing processes that the OEM parts had, nor can I use some of the wide degree LED's I sourced. I have spoken about this particular issue a number of times on this forum. Currently there are a few hundred lawsuits against LED lighting manufacturers by General Motors because of 14 different manufacturing and processes Patents granted in 1994 spefically for "GM LED Illuminated Automotive Instrumentation and Lighting".

Simply put, if I am caught manufacturing a product for profit that breaks any of the 14 Patents, I go to jail and pay hundreds of thousands of dollars in fines. Laws overseas may be different, but I would check on it. I'd hate to see anyone get screwed over a hobby.

Good lucK!
Old 07-03-2004, 02:38 PM
jonnybgood
Burning Brakes

In defense of Flamingeye's price, he is fabricating and producing new parts and materials. $175 is not unreasonable for his product but as others have said it is out of my range right now.
Old 07-03-2004, 05:46 PM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by boffam
That's not a bad deal. I for one am getting a bit tired of holding my lighter up to the gauge cluster to figure out how fast I'm going
Smoking is bad for you.
Old 07-03-2004, 05:52 PM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by Perry 951
Looks like a good kit.... I sure am glad I halted the work on my injection molded parts. I finished an EDM carbon black die a few months back so I could get a work die. Just as I was ready to start pumping these out, my manufacturer contacted me. Because of US Patent Law, I cannot use some of the same manufacturing processes that the OEM parts had
Are you sure? I was looking into making S camchain pads with a buddy wwho's been in the injection moulding business for years, and he never said anything about that. I'm sure it would have been the same process, we were just going to digitize the original and make the mould from that with CNC.

I doubt the laws in Canada are that different from those in the U.S.

But then, it's still legal to Kazaa up here! Yesterday a court ruling said ISPs don't have to give info about downloaders to the music industry, so we're still safe!
Old 07-03-2004, 06:09 PM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Brian, I've been in more patent lawsuits than you care to shake a stick at. As an "expert", not one of the parties. You don't get tossed in jail over patent violations. Well, I suppose you could if you went up and punched a Federal judge in the nose.

As far as damages, or as you say "fines", that usually isn't a problem if you have no big money and are just doing it as an hobby. GM may come to you and say "quit it". You say OK and walk away. If Porsche held the patents, they would probably screw with you and make life sort of miserable for a few months. GM wouldn't bother.
Old 07-03-2004, 10:14 PM
boffam
Advanced

Originally posted by Peckster
Smoking is bad for you.
Definitely...the most dangerous part is lighting up while driving. Matches are the worst and lighters are not much better. OEM cigarette lighters should be classified as a safety device.
Old 07-04-2004, 07:19 AM
flamingeye
Instructor

Thanks for the info Perry951, sorry to hear of your 'problems'.

My kit is made entirely from scratch. No existing part is used and no mould was taken from an existing part to use either.

I have made each of the original tools for moulding, and cast and vac formed the various parts.

The only thing I have bought are the LED's, that can't be a crime?

Unless something is an exact duplicate, then there can't be a problem.

There are hundreds of after market companies out there, do they have a problem when selling a big bore exhaust? Or even white faced dials?
As well as mechanical!

My friend at www.actproducts.co.uk mostly makes carbon fibre parts, mainly for TVR cars. He doesn't get sued when he makes a plenhem chamber or trumpets etc!! In fact, he supplies TVR with his after market parts!!!! I did speak to him the other day about the American market, he ships to the four corners of the world but I'm afraid to say not to America. His liability insurance will not cover it, and 'it's just not worth all the hassle!'. Which is a bit sad really.

Anyway, happy 4th July.
Cheers
Old 07-04-2004, 09:47 AM
dgz924s
Three Wheelin'

Shipping will kill this deal for you all!

Dal
Old 07-04-2004, 11:32 AM
Zackb911
Racer

How does this differ from the LED kit on Ebay that one of the 928 suppliers is doing?
Old 07-04-2004, 11:57 AM
flamingeye
Instructor

DGZ924s, thanks for the support. Nothing like looking on the bright side of things.
I've already said that the £95 includes p+p. What more do you want. I will send individually in an appropriate and discrete package recorded delivery. What happens at your end is the luck of the draw.
Old 07-04-2004, 01:10 PM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Btw... my dads v70r volvo doiesnt come with cig lgihter? it comes with two 12v ports, but just caps that say 12v with no cig lighter. ;P Not that i smoke.. but i thought it was strange, for a car with 6 cup holders up front, to have no cig lighter.
Old 07-04-2004, 01:23 PM
Mike B
Done With Sidepatch
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by Zackb911
How does this differ from the LED kit on Ebay that one of the 928 suppliers is doing?
Good question.

flamingeye, did my email request make it to you?

Quick Reply: Flamingeye LED Dial Illumination Kit