Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

webcam camshaft and performance crankshaft

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2004 | 02:12 AM
Danno
Race Director

Ideally, you would make all your other mods first, then have the cam ground to match those mods.
Old 01-31-2005 | 02:01 PM
DanG
Three Wheelin'

Digging this thread back up to try and get some more oomph from my cam...

Originally Posted by Camgrinder
The old cam we used to sell that needed lash caps etc , really needs an advance key . Advance that camshaft 4 degrees and it will bring back the low speed power. Do a cranking compression test and compare it to a known number for a similar eingine. then compare it after advancing the cam.
With the new castings we build the advance in when its ground, no need for the offset key.
So I'm trying to locate/figure out how to adjust cam timing on my car for a reasonable price. Lindsay has an adjustable sprocket...

... but its $289.95! I don't mind that price, but I think I would be much better spent finding the sprocket for a more reasonable price and putting the rest into dyno time to prove it out.

So I can think of maybe 4 options for myself...

#1 - find an adjustable sprocket for much less. Anyone know of another source?

#2 - find a source for offset woodruff keys, preferably with a couple sizes that I can test and return the ones I don't need.

#3 - build my own or have one fabbed. I was into turbo dodges in a past life (used them to learn how to play with turbos, the HARD way. Much cheaper.) They have adjustable cam sprockets that aren't any more complicated than ours for a whopping $129...

I think they're now manufactured, but they were made by hand from stock parts at least in the beginning.

#4 - very related to #3, except the adjustability comes from grinding multiple key slots in the cam sprocket. The sprocket can then be installed 0, 2, 4, 6, or 8 degrees advanced or retarted (or a tooth plus 2, 4, ....). Its not as easy to adjust as the other kinds, but seems a heck of a lot simpler. Look at the picture I've attached to see what I'm talking about (I have a bigger pic if needed)...

So what do you guys think? Can adjustable cam timing be done for a good deal cheaper than $300?
Attached Images  
Old 01-31-2005 | 09:07 PM
DanG
Three Wheelin'

Anyone have any ideas?
Old 02-01-2005 | 11:24 AM
DanG
Three Wheelin'

I'll just bump this a couple more times, it doesn't seem like too popular of a topic.
Old 02-01-2005 | 01:19 PM
snakepliskin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Dan,

I think your best bet is to contact Dema Elgin. I run an Elgin cam in my racer and they have been helpful answering questions on tuning and set up.

Elgin Cams

Also, if you cannot source an ajdustable cam sprocket, try Paeco in Birmingham, AL. I had them custom fabricate a trick aluminum crank pulley for me last year. They were easy to work with, and even list a number of 944 cams/heads/engines in their catalog, so they may be able to help.

Paeco

Best of luck,

Mike

Quick Reply: webcam camshaft and performance crankshaft