Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

starter

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2024 | 01:09 PM
Roy Rabold
Intermediate

Default starter

I have a 1986 N/A. When I try to start the car it just makes a clicking sound. If I put the car in gear and rock the car, it will start. The starter works fine. After looking at Clark's garage, it seems like it might be the starter solenoid. It also states there is not much difference between a starter solenoid and a new starter in price. Should I just replace the starter or is there something else going on I am unaware of.
Old 08-04-2024 | 01:16 PM
harveyf
Rennlist Member

Yes, a discount autoparts store starter is probably cheaper since they rebuild them on mass.
Rocking the car in gear should not have any effect, as the starter gear is not engaged with the flywheel (normally).
A clicking noise usually indicates a failing battery, or a bad connection in one of the heavy wires that feeds the starter. Or the ground cable from the engine block to the chassis.
Check your battery voltage. It should be about 12.6 volts. Anything much less than that and it may be that your battery is failing.
Old 08-06-2024 | 08:47 AM
Z3M&968
Instructor

Use at least a 12-gauge jumper wire between your main starter pole and touch it to the solenoid terminal. You may have a faulty solenoid wire. If you have an original alt/start harness, it is fairly likely the culprit. I have seen many of these posts and sometimes it turns out that the solenoid and starter are fine. Rather, it is often the case that nearly 40-year old wiring with abominable PVC insulation has failed. If such is the case, replace the harness. Unabashed self-promotion here: I'm running a 20% off special right now for a few more days for the harness. The code is first_three on my website www.dcmachinist.com. I do not use any cable or wire with PVC insulation. It is trash.

Right now I sell that harness for $104 with the discount (shipping is free to the US), and I use materials far better than the OEM components. My main cable has FEP Teflon insulation and tin-plated copper and my exciter and solenoid wires have XLPE insulation.

If yours hasn't failed yet, it will fairly soon.
Old 08-07-2024 | 04:10 AM
bonus12
Three Wheelin'

The starter is easy to remove once you're under the car. I bet you it works fine if you bench test it. I would start there, no pun intended. You likely have a wiring problem which you might discover once you disconnect things and reconnect them. Rocking the car kind if fixes the problem? Sounds like something is loose.

Quick Reply: starter