Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power steering fluid low, no sign of leak

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2024, 07:00 AM
mazdaverx7
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 58 Posts

If the power steering pump and reservoir are newer, I wouldn't replace them again. I would keep an eye on the pump and check the bolt torque on the pump bolts in 1000 miles. It could be that they were not torqued properly to begin with if it's a reman unit.

As for the vibration, my initial concern is failing engine mounts. How old are your engine mounts? The balance belt sprocket should only install one way, so I suspect that it's not backwards. But I've seen some crazy things over the last 25 years of fixing and restoring cars, so unless you replaced the balance and timing belts, I suppose you won't know for sure. The belt can be tensioned backwards and that can cause issues.

For setting belt tension on the accessory belts, be sure each jam nut on the tensioner is seated frimly against the turnbuckle when the belts are tensioned properly. You may have to go in and set belt tension again after a few heat cycles on the accessory belts. I typically do on my 944.
Old 08-26-2024, 12:06 PM
idealcheese
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

@mazdaverx7 The balance belt sprockets actually can be installed upside down and is apparently a common mistake. Installing them correct fixed the vibration in my case. I'll double check the jam nuts on the tensioners, good idea!

Quick Reply: Power steering fluid low, no sign of leak