Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

VTX Power Inhaler

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2004, 11:32 PM
WizPorsche944
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default VTX Power Inhaler

Hello everyone Im new here and just bought a 1987 Porsche 944. Im looking to buy the VTX Power Inhaler from Vertex Auto just wanted to know if it is any good and worth the money ???
Old 06-26-2004, 12:31 AM
Scootin159
Drifting

Never heard of it....links?

Just to warn you, an N/A (non-turbo) 944 has VERY little 'extra' power to be found through intake & exhaust upgrades. Maybe 10hp if you're lucky & do everything, but most 'upgrades' just make it louder or even make it loose power.
Old 06-26-2004, 12:37 AM
eman930
Banned

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Not true I have done many upgrades to my 87 924S, I have notice good gains, its no turbo but there is HP to be found in these engines. No one upgrade will give you tons of power, Its when you start to add them all up. Thats when your start to notice a difference
Old 06-26-2004, 03:59 AM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Its made by Vertex Auto...Click

Im just restating what pretty much everyone has said about the addition of cone filters and aftermarket intakes to the n/a 944 (obviously excluding the S, S2 and 951). The stock system on the n/a's is already a cold air intake setup, drawing air from the fender. Unlike your typical run of the mill Honda Civic which actually does see a realistic 3-5 horsepower increase from a aftermarket intake (being a ram air, CAI or mass air setup), you will not likley see these types of gains on the n/a engine. Mainly because unlike the Honda, Porsche designed the system very well. From what ive read the intake is one of the least restrictive parts on the n/a engines (i forget what was really the bottle neck). The addition of a cone filter setup if anything will give you obviously the 'sporty' look under the hood, possibly a nicer (more agressive) sound when reving the engine, and depending on your butt dyno...maybe a horsepower or two (or a horse power or two less). But keep in mind any difference you may see may be in your head. I have never really seen a dyno comparison between the stock intake and a aftermarket setup for the n/a's. One of the biggest issues with the addition of a cone filter is that your essentially deleting the cold air factor, as your drawing in hot air from under the hood (in particuarly from right over the alternator). Some say that at speed this dosent matter, others say differently.

My honest opinion, the addition of a K&N panel fitler into the stock airbox gave me the slightly more agressive sound i wanted. Now the effectiveness of a K&N is a long debated topic that often leads to a disagreement and fight... but i noticed no gains or losses with the addition of a K&N, only the difference in sound when reving at idle into the high rpm range (not that i do this often). The K&N for our cars is expensive at $50 and to be honest ive since gone back to the paper filter noticing no difference at all (other than sound).

When i finally have the '86 944 im looking at in my driveway...i may consider the VTX cone filter setup, not because im looking to get gains, but admitantly because i like the way it looks under the hood. Call it rice, i really dont give a crap.

The funny thing is that this is frequently asked question, and i have never seen any type of data that shows any gains or losses from a cone filter. Any one have a dyno comparison?
Old 06-26-2004, 05:48 AM
daniel951
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i had the VTX inhaler on my NA and i liked the sound and notice a little difference from that and throttle cam
Old 06-26-2004, 09:18 AM
Dave
Race Car

The bottle neck that Techno is thinking of is the AFM, the next problem is that the #3 intake runner's ability to flow air will max out at around 180 hp. Next up is the cam, it's also only good up to ~180. The exhaust is ballanced to provide a flat torque curve on a stock car, big changes here will remove HP unless you've made upgrades elsewhere.

The stock air intake is not restrictive until it's very dirty, it can support over 300 HP. A K&N in the airbox will increase noise and increase the maintenence interval, a cone will do the same thing with even more noise. Neither will add any HP and the cone might cost you a few since you're no longer getting cool air.
Old 06-26-2004, 09:44 AM
BeerBurner
Unbannable
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 44 Posts

A friend of mine who used to work at Autothority told me that they were soon going to have a cone filter setup for the car, and asked if I'd be interested. I asked if it helps the performance. He said "No".

BB.
Old 06-26-2004, 09:55 AM
Charlotte944
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Why spend that kind of cash when you can get a similar filter adapter for under $20.00 on eBay?

On a more technical note, low restriction filters (IMHO) have one serious flaw: To make a filter "low restriction" you have to make the holes in the filter media larger. Because the holes are larger, the filter will not only pass more air, it will also pass more particulate matter (dirt). To "correct" this flaw the filter is coated with a special oil. Because the filter uses this oil, you have to wash and "recharge" this type of filter.

When you look at the up and down sides, the down sides win.

Unlike the stock paper filter, the manitenance time and cost ("recharge kits" run about $12.00) involved with keeping a "low restriction" filter operating properly will exceed the cost of using a stock filter.

My recommendation is to save your cash for something worth while and delete you link to VerTex.

Just my $.02 worth.
Old 06-26-2004, 07:01 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I opted for one of the adapter kits on Ebay, mainly because it was only $20 and i wanted to check it out. In my opinion its not even worth the $20. You will need to fabricate a bracket to hold the filter off the alternator, otherwise your filter will be burned on the spot where it rests. Also the filter they provide you with isnt even a K&N or equal type...its basically a K&N 'look' type filter. No markings or anything on it...i ran it once and took it out. The VTX system (and the 9xAuto one) atleast use a real K&N filter.

Another big problem with the K&N filters is that many people do 'over maitenence' on them. K&N filters work most efficently when they are a little dirty (or so i have read). People often over oil the filters also, clogging the AFM and causing more problems.

I think it basically comes down to keep the stock box unless you want the look and sound of the cone filter. Dont expect any gains unless you already have some medium to heavy modifications on your car.

Quick Reply: VTX Power Inhaler