Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[S2]Smelly air when set to cold and AC off -> what non flammable detergent I can use?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2024, 06:18 AM
Duke48
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default [S2]Smelly air when set to cold and AC off -> what non flammable detergent I can use?

Situation
- hot air smells fine
- AC ON and temperature **** set to cold on NO SMELL AT ALL
- AC OFF and temperature **** set to cold smells like old garbage, not like the usual acid smell from AC.

Is there any non-flammable spray that I can spray directly from engine bay to kill the germs on the route air takes when AC is off and temperature **** is set to cold?
Old 06-25-2024, 07:47 AM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 125 Likes on 111 Posts

With an "old garbage" (rotting food) smell you might need to get a mouse nest or dead mouse out of your system, it doesn't sound like the usual musty smell from a backed up evaporator drain:
https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-...-wet-feet.html

People usually use a lysol-type spray and lots of it to get some smell out but that won't work very well if there is standing water or a mouse nest.

I do not know if the mode selection suggests a location of a smelly-thing but it might. I have noticed if I shut my AC off via the rectangular snowflake button I get a blast of extra-cold air before the non-refrigerated outside air comes through, feels like a flap is moving and releasing a pocket of cold. This doesn't make sense to me but it might be normal. That button has more functionality than just "compressor on/off", it might command some flap adjustments.

You could try to measure the flow at the intakes under the hood and various vents, relate flow to smell/no smell and see if you can localize the smell (how many times have we played "Find the Smell?").
If indeed it's not a musty smell and you can verify water dripping from your evap box I would pull the blower box and start ramming the shop vac hose down there as well as cleaning the blower box. Start with a clean shop vac so you can see what gets recovered.
The following users liked this post:
Tiger03447 (06-25-2024)
Old 06-26-2024, 11:04 AM
Duke48
Instructor

Originally Posted by Jfrahm
With an "old garbage" (rotting food) smell you might need to get a mouse nest or dead mouse out of your system, it doesn't sound like the usual musty smell from a backed up evaporator drain:
https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-...-wet-feet.html

People usually use a lysol-type spray and lots of it to get some smell out but that won't work very well if there is standing water or a mouse nest.

I do not know if the mode selection suggests a location of a smelly-thing but it might. I have noticed if I shut my AC off via the rectangular snowflake button I get a blast of extra-cold air before the non-refrigerated outside air comes through, feels like a flap is moving and releasing a pocket of cold. This doesn't make sense to me but it might be normal. That button has more functionality than just "compressor on/off", it might command some flap adjustments.

You could try to measure the flow at the intakes under the hood and various vents, relate flow to smell/no smell and see if you can localize the smell (how many times have we played "Find the Smell?").
If indeed it's not a musty smell and you can verify water dripping from your evap box I would pull the blower box and start ramming the shop vac hose down there as well as cleaning the blower box. Start with a clean shop vac so you can see what gets recovered.
Thank you, I haven't found mouse nor food, just heavily rusted evaporator(?).

Last edited by Duke48; 06-26-2024 at 11:06 AM.
Old 06-26-2024, 02:25 PM
Chalt
Pro

Received 67 Likes on 48 Posts

I thought the evap was made of aluminum?
Old 06-27-2024, 09:57 AM
Duke48
Instructor

Originally Posted by Chalt
I thought the evap was made of aluminum?
Could somebody shed some light on the matter, please?
Old 06-27-2024, 10:01 PM
jhowell371
Burning Brakes

Received 52 Likes on 34 Posts

They are aluminum. Put a magnet on it to see if it's not. I have no idea what has formed on and discolored your condenser, looks more like then inside of a radiator. Does brush off with with your wife's makeup brush or is it a hard deposit? Is it water soluble, try spraying hot tap water on it with a spray bottle and try the wife's brush again.
Old 06-27-2024, 10:46 PM
orig944
Burning Brakes

Received 187 Likes on 156 Posts

There is a/c disinfectant available at your local automotive parts store. Maybe it will kill that mold off, but you will likely have to use it regularly in the future.
Old 06-28-2024, 01:17 AM
Chalt
Pro

Received 67 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by jhowell371
They are aluminum. Does brush off with with your wife's makeup brush or is it a hard deposit? ... and try the wife's brush again.
Are you trying to get him in trouble?
Because that's how you get him in trouble.
Old 06-29-2024, 12:48 AM
TurrFinn
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I've used lysol in some vents before. Personally not my own. My AC smells likes pretzels lol

Quick Reply: [S2]Smelly air when set to cold and AC off -> what non flammable detergent I can use?