Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AC means wet feet?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2011, 05:30 PM
IGROWL
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default AC means wet feet?

I have had the car three years and even though I would rather drive without the AC on it has been over 100 degrees this last week here on the east coast so if you don't want to pass out you run the AC. My AC gets very cold so I have no problem there.

Today after a spirted drive after a PCA event every time I went quickly around a sharp turn my right foot would get a hit of cold water. When I got home I took some items I had sitting on the floor of the passenger side out and they were soaking wet. My floor mat is also wet. First thing I looked at was the battery tray and it is dry as a bone. So I got myself upclose and under the dash and here is what I found.

So is this item I am pointing to which was extremely cold and now dripping cold water suppose to do this. I also point to what looks like a drain tube and it was dripping onto the passenger floor mat.

I am just trying to make sure this is suppose to be like this.
Attached Images     
Old 07-23-2011, 05:47 PM
931guru
Rennlist Member

Received 332 Likes on 273 Posts

There is a drain at the bottom of the evaporator housing that is clogged. Clean it out and the water will flow to the pavement instead of to your carpet.
The following users liked this post:
vacuumnoise (06-29-2021)
Old 07-23-2011, 06:04 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by 931guru
There is a drain at the bottom of the evaporator housing that is clogged. Clean it out and the water will flow to the pavement instead of to your carpet.
+10 you can use a piece of Weedeater line from the bottom but it might plug up again unless you clean the housing around the evaporator. The larger hose just plugs into a fitting at the left side of the glove box. I never could figure why they needed heated/cooled air in the glove box?
Old 07-23-2011, 07:31 PM
IGROWL
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 931guru
Is the evaporator the item I am pointing to that is cold and sweating water?

If so where is this drain area? Under the car?

If someone had a picture of this drain area it woud be much appreciated.

Thanks so much guru and kuhl
Old 07-24-2011, 01:12 AM
SFaikel
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The evaporator is inside of the plastic housing you were pointing to, yes. It will be underneath the car in about the same location. It should look like a small rubber hose sticking out an inch or two. I've never seen exactly where it comes out on a 944. I'm sorry I don't have pictures to post, but I hope this helps.
Old 07-24-2011, 01:30 AM
Grandpa#3
Three Wheelin'

Location: Hawkinsville / Perry, Georgia, RETIRED USAF GO BLUE

Hello, The drain tube is located under where the rear of the radio sits at on the center console. It is a short tube that goes from the evaporator tray to the center tunnel and then outside. You may have to pull the center console to get to it. Look at Clark's garage.com under DASH on how to do it. You will have a hard time locating the drain from under the car, as it is centered above the torque tube.

http://www.clarks-garage.com/shop-manual/body-24.htm

Cheers,
Larry

Last edited by Grandpa#3; 07-24-2011 at 01:31 AM. Reason: add
Old 07-24-2011, 09:27 AM
IGROWL
Rennlist Member

Got up early and took the info from the helpful rennlisters above and got under the dash again. I could see that little drain tube and pulling the radio and cubby exposed it. I pulled as hard as I could withhout breaking or tearing 24 year old rubber and it did not budge from either the housing end or the pass through the body to the outside. So I thought if it is clogged let me squeeze it and possibly break anything loose inside. I couldn't go grab my camera fast enough but it came out like a waterfall. I was able to get the last of the drip in one picture. You can see there is about a half a gallon or more on the floor of the garage now and I hope that debris is from inside the drain and was not already on the floor.

Thanks for everyones help and I suggest everyone give that little hose a good squeeze and make sure you don't have a clog before your passenger floor is soaked and not from the battery tray.

I took these this morning so everyone knows what to look for.
Attached Images    
The following users liked this post:
vacuumnoise (06-29-2021)
Old 07-24-2011, 10:14 AM
plumbum
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for the pictures! I am sure this problem will happen to a few ppll as these cars are getting older.
Old 07-24-2011, 04:20 PM
Grandpa#3
Three Wheelin'

Location: Hawkinsville / Perry, Georgia, RETIRED USAF GO BLUE

Happy to hear you found the drain tube OK and got the water out. Great pictures ! Your next project is taking care of the rusted out sill shown in the picture. Salted roads take a heavy toll on any car and ours have galvanized metal, but nothing lasts.

Cheers,
Larry

Quick Reply: AC means wet feet?