Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT: First time driving stick

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2004, 02:26 PM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Then you're in for a real treat!
Old 06-13-2004, 02:28 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

clutch caught at the end of the pedal so I'd have to bring my knee up the steering wheel to start the engagement. The engagement was rough, constant shaking, vibration.

Clutch was going bad.

on my friends 93 Ford Ranger

Very hard to learn in those light pickups because the gearing is generally 4.10:1 or so, first gear is only good to about 15 mph and the engagement is awful.

I dunno why you people want a stiffer pedal than the hydraulic ones 944s have.

Take up is much more precise. Better feel for when the clutch is engaged/disengaged. Come take a few laps in my RX and you will know why.

I fail to see how the 944 clutch is "soft."

When a VW golf is a sports car then we can make that comparison, until then, for a sports car the 944 pedal is far too soft. It is not as bad, however, as cetrain generations of Eclipse where I am with you, I thought I was going to push through the floorboard.
Old 06-13-2004, 02:31 PM
bloodraven
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yes....1st gear in those things was horrible...I swear I saw a snail speeding swiftly away...(whoa...its one of those sentances where all the words.....nevermind...)

anyway, he had it chipped because it couldn't do fifth gear all that well...so it went up to 20 in first gear....with a top speed of around 95....
Old 06-13-2004, 03:50 PM
Scootin159
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I learned on a 1940's Ford Tractor (unrestored, just still putting around as a lawn mower/etc. at a campground I worked at). That thing was a pain to learn on as it had hardly any power (something in the neighborhood of 40hp), yet maybe 80ft-lbs of torque. What made it a pain is:

1) 15-speed transmission (imagine shifting once every mph with heavy loads)
2) 2 sequential transmissions (kinda like a bike, one 3 speed & one 5 speed = 15 speed)
3) Hand-operated throttle (with your other hand on the steering wheel and another hand on the two shift levers)
4) TWO non-hydraulic brake pedals (being I weighed about 100lbs at the time I had to stand on the pedal, literally, to get any braking force), and one pedal per wheel.
5) a LONG throw clutch (should be easier, right? Well this one threw long enough I had to get up off my seat to lift my leg high enough to push it down).
6) about a 300rpm, not 3000rpm power band, and a 3000rpm redline, though it really ran out of power about 1800rpm
7) Oh, and on a tractor you don't do 'burnouts' if you give it too much gas....you pull wheelies & flip them over.
Old 06-13-2004, 04:03 PM
Dmitry S.
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Man Scootin, that's quite a "car" to learn on. I learned on a 91 Eclipse when I was 14, and never stalled it or broke the tires loose. In the 3 years of driving, I think i've only stalled a car twice. Once when I was driving a friends truck and i didn't notice the parking brake was up, and another time when I pulled up to a stoplight and forgot that I was in 4th.
Old 06-13-2004, 04:12 PM
visualpascal
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First car was like a '79 civic hatchback... stalled it once or twice, but as soon as I got it on the street I understood why people revved at stoplights. About a week later I got a 86 Ford Ranger, and that was an interesting vehicle to drive. Talk about stump pulling gears, I usually shifted out of first at 8-11 mph, 15 if I was showing a honda what an American V6 can do.

I taught my ex-girlfriend how to drive stick on the 944 though and I was very impressed. For girl that was occasionally... ditzy, for lack of a better word, she didn't stall it once. She wouldn't take it on the street, and couldn't find a packing lot to justify third, so that was about the end of the lesson, but she did better than most of my friends.

--Chris

Quick Reply: OT: First time driving stick