Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F@ck!n& insurance company!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2004, 08:18 PM
mcavour
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry F@ck!n& insurance company!!!

Ok, so my wife had her 03' Accord parked on the plaza where she teaches dance at on Sunday, and one of the parents hits her car while it's in a parking space. The mother, goes in the studio and advises my wife of the accident, they exchange info and my wife called the police to get a report (the lady got a ticket!). Since I am out of town I had her take the car to the local dealer (I know everybody there...) to get an estimate (new bumper cover = $361.00 + paint job +~- CORRECTION $650.00 total) before going to see the insurance company of the person that hit her (Geico), they want to repair the bumper (estimate for $390.00 - NOT ACCEPTABLE!!!). I do not have all the info at hand, but I will not agree to a repair vs. replacement. What are my options and what should I say when I call Geico? I figured that telling them that it would cost bucku bucks for them if we went to court over this and that I could not see why in any given way that a judge would not award us the repairs that I believe we deserve. The vehicle is only 9 or 10 mos old, awesome shape, low highway miles, and is a car that we want to keep for 8-9 years or more, the way I see it the only way to make the car right again is to replace the cover, not repair (putty WILL eventually flake, separate, etc...) Any advice???

Last edited by mcavour; 06-08-2004 at 10:42 PM.
Old 06-08-2004, 08:32 PM
seb928s
Three Wheelin'

Complain and complain some more. It needs to be replaced not repaired. Anyways I thought those bumper covers are a one time thing. It's not made out of metal right then it can't be repaired nicely that will last like something being repaired that is steel. Good luck I had a problem like this with the Turbo owner and insurance of the person that backed into me first saying it was already damaged and also they gave me a quote of 497.23$ and said that was more then enough. Then I went to my lawyer and about 11 months down the road settled for 2555$ which was pretty close to the damaged but not after I spent more then half of that crap on bs.
Old 06-08-2004, 08:46 PM
Shutemup
Burning Brakes

I've never heard of a body shop wanting to repair a bumper cover. I have repaired one myself. There is a 2 part epoxy specially made for flexible rubber parts like that. Although for a dealership the labor involed probably wouldn't make it worth it.

Bottom line, the accident wasn't your fault. Tell their insurance where you want it fixed. If your body shop reccomends replacement, then it gets replaced.

You shouldn't even have to deal with them besides telling them where you want it fixed at. Also, have them give you a rental car.

My GF's brother in law backed into her car last weekend. 1000-1500 in damage. She called their insurance (geico) told them where she wants it fixed at and that was it. Rental car as well.

If you want to be a real stickler about it. Go get the 2 highest estimates you can and tell them to pay you because you want to fix it yourself.
Old 06-08-2004, 09:02 PM
badass951
Three Wheelin'

I have lots of experience with this unfortunately. In my delivery car my front and rear bumpers have been hit numerous times this year, and the only time they did not replace the bumper covers were when they just needed paint. I am sure that any body shop or insurance company would not choose to repair a cheap bumper cover with putty, as it is not really cost effective. Are you 100% sure that the body shop would be using putty on the bumper cover?

Chris
Old 06-08-2004, 09:04 PM
badass951
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by Shutemup
I've never heard of a body shop wanting to repair a bumper cover. I have repaired one myself. There is a 2 part epoxy specially made for flexible rubber parts like that. Although for a dealership the labor involed probably wouldn't make it worth it.

Bottom line, the accident wasn't your fault. Tell their insurance where you want it fixed. If your body shop reccomends replacement, then it gets replaced.

You shouldn't even have to deal with them besides telling them where you want it fixed at. Also, have them give you a rental car.

My GF's brother in law backed into her car last weekend. 1000-1500 in damage. She called their insurance (geico) told them where she wants it fixed at and that was it. Rental car as well.

If you want to be a real stickler about it. Go get the 2 highest estimates you can and tell them to pay you because you want to fix it yourself.
I agree with what Shutemup has said. If you are truley worried about it have the insurance company pay you and then order a bumper cover, take it to any body shop for it to be sprayed, then install it yourself. You could probably profit from it this way, or use the left over money for some minor upgrade.

Chris
Old 06-08-2004, 09:14 PM
Shutemup
Burning Brakes

On that note,

I believe this is what I used to repair a torn bumper cover. cut out some of the torn stuff, mixed it up and filled it with it.

Once it cured, sanded it down and the only way to tell is that it was a different color. Bonded great, had it re-painted and done.

http://products3.3m.com/catalog/us/e...er/output_html
Old 06-08-2004, 09:48 PM
jp944
Pro

Turn it in on your insurance. They may be more willing to repair it properly. You'll be out the deductible, but they will probably recover it for you from Geico.
Old 06-08-2004, 10:19 PM
triscadek
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default Re: F@ck!n& insurance company!!!

Originally posted by mcavour
The mother, goes in the studio and advises my wife of the accident, they exchange info and my wife called the police to get a report (the lady got a ticket!).
FYI

Just because you're in an accident doesn't mean you HAVE TO call the police and get a report.

With some insurance companies if you have been involved in an accident,even though not your fault can count against you for 3-5 years when looking for a new ins. co. Found this out the hard way.

Farmers had no problem with me just calling when I hit someone a couple years ago, also my Accord got hit, we didn't call and Liberty Mutual had no problem paying either.

To alleviate some hard feelings with the mother, should she have gotten a ticket on private property?
Old 06-08-2004, 10:22 PM
mcavour
Racer

Default Re: Re: F@ck!n& insurance company!!!

Originally posted by triscadek
To alleviate some hard feelings with the mother, should she have gotten a ticket on private property?
Personally, I could care less about her feelings... As far as the police, I will ALWAYS call them, just to cover my @$$!!!
Old 06-08-2004, 11:43 PM
Burma Shave
Burning Brakes

If the damage is minor the insurer may elect to repair. If they replace be careful not to accept aftermarket or remanufactured bumpers. The other issue is paint. Even a new oem bumper is difficult to paint because of the mold release agents used. No refinisher can match the level of adhesion attained at the factory level. Also if the bumper is replaced the paint will likely not match and should be blended on the fenders..most insurers won't pay for blending on a bumper job. I would take a repair over a new bumper if there are no tears/holes and the body shop is reputable and has a guarantee.
Old 06-08-2004, 11:58 PM
rpm's S2
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I have had several claims in the past ten years from people hitting me - I have never once spoken to another insurance company.

This is the time to get your own insurance company to fight this battle. This is why you pay them - not just when its your fault. Other people's insurance companies will often nickel and dime you to death, delaying as long as they can, and lowballing every item. I watched recently as a co-worker fought with another company for six months over bs issues. She stuck to her guns and eventually won - but what she had to go through was ridiculous.

You will have to pay your deductible, but eventually they will get that back for you. If your insurance agent tells you to go through the other company then you need a new iagent.
Old 06-09-2004, 12:13 AM
jp944
Pro

Default Re: Re: F@ck!n& insurance company!!!

Originally posted by triscadek
FYI

Just because you're in an accident doesn't mean you HAVE TO call the police and get a report.
I'm not trying to be disagreeable but no matter how obviously the other person was at fault, call and get a police report. I once had a guy try to make a right on red, realize he had pulled too far forward, throw it into reverse and back right into me. Seems obviously his fault, right? His insurance company refused to pay because I must have 'been too close.' I asked him how far away should I have been to allow enough room for morons traveling the wrong way on a one way street in reverse to avoid me. If I had gotten a police report, it would have been different. From now on I'll ALWAYS get a police report when I'm not at fault, and I'll ALWAYS file on my insurance carrier.
Old 06-09-2004, 12:53 AM
por944trs
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

There is a repair process that involves welding the plastic together with plastic that makes a permeant repair, many times stronger then it was before. That being said, I would check and see if the skin has been stretched or distorted by the forces it took to rip or tear it. You did not mention if it was just scraped or if the bumper skin was actually ripped , by no means should you use filler "putty" or even the epoxy repair kits to repair a tear as they will in my experience(15yrs) eventually fail. If it is just a simple scrape then conventual paint repair methods will work just fine. Sorry she was hit.
Old 06-09-2004, 10:42 AM
mcavour
Racer

Thanks for all the responses, the bumper was scratched + deformed, but not torn. At any given rate, I know about the release agents, OEM is still light years away than aftermarket (which is probably not even available yet... 03' release...), with the proper scan + mix (Dupont scanner ) they ought to be able to achieve the right color (hard to find a good "painter" that really knows how to go about the job taking all the variables (air temp + humid + baro press + etc...) into consideration.
Old 06-19-2004, 05:49 AM
triscadek
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default Re: Re: Re: F@ck!n& insurance company!!!

Originally posted by jp944
I'm not trying to be disagreeable but no matter how obviously the other person was at fault, call and get a police report. I once had a guy try to make a right on red, realize he had pulled too far forward, throw it into reverse and back right into me. Seems obviously his fault, right? His insurance company refused to pay because I must have 'been too close.' I asked him how far away should I have been to allow enough room for morons traveling the wrong way on a one way street in reverse to avoid me. If I had gotten a police report, it would have been different. From now on I'll ALWAYS get a police report when I'm not at fault, and I'll ALWAYS file on my insurance carrier.
I should have said that when a glaringly obvious situation, like mcavour had or a slam dunk situation you don't have to call. If there MAY be any doubt raised by the party at fault, by all means get a report.

Quick Reply: F@ck!n& insurance company!!!