Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

High Pressure Fuel Line Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2004, 03:32 PM
Oddjob
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 55 Posts
Default High Pressure Fuel Line Replacement

My high pressure fuel line, the rubber section from the hardpipe in the wheel well to the fuel damper on the rail, is leaking at both crimped connections.

How risky is it to replace this with high pressure fuel hose and hose clamps for an immediate/short term fix (to last for a couple weeks until I can get a permanent replacement)?

I was not too comfortable with the idea, but have heard of others doing it. And I believe that some of the aftermarket/replacement hose kits also use clamps.

However the guy at the car parts store, highly recommended against it and told a story of a mother and her two kids burning to death in a mini-van about a year ago (true story) that had been caused by a hose-clamped fuel line repair that failed…

Whats the consensus on this? Anybody pretty confident that a single, or double, hose clamp on each end will hold at a reasonable level of safety?
Old 06-07-2004, 05:03 PM
Eric
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oddjob,

It all depends on your level of comfort. When that hose started leaking on mine, I left my car in the office parking lot untill the replacement lines came in and then I swapped the line in the parking lot. Rennlister Paul? Pauereman(sp) sells a braided replacement kit which has gotten very high marks from 'listers. I went with the Lindsey kit. Fairly easy to replace--do a search for procedures, get a small square pipe cutter for cutting the hard metal line, de-pressurize your system before removing everything--probably a good time to check and/or replace the short hose at the end of the rail too. It took me 2 hours to do the supply line, FPR/Damper, and Shorty hose. Good luck.
Old 06-07-2004, 05:06 PM
RI951
Instructor

Trust your instincts... My spidey senses say don't mess with the fuel system. There's probably a reason that most hi pressure and/or critical systems on the car use a threaded connection, vice clamps. I wouldn't want to find out the hard way that the clamps leak by, even just a little. I will admit ignorance on what the fuel pressure is at the rail.
Old 06-07-2004, 05:27 PM
Oddjob
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 55 Posts

I recall the spec is between 2.5 and 3.0 bar (about 36-44 psi) at idle with the vacuum disconnected to the regulator.
Old 06-07-2004, 09:09 PM
Dave in Chicago
Rennlist Member

Received 261 Likes on 170 Posts

Also, call PCNA in Atlanta and give them your VIN number. Some of these were subject to recall. Porsche will be able to tell you A) if this applies to your car and B) if it was ever done. If A = Yes and B = No, you may be in for a bit of help courtesy of Dr. Porsche and friends.
Old 06-07-2004, 10:51 PM
83na944
Three Wheelin'

Hose clamps sound like a bad idea.

You might try some of that compound that they sell in auto parts stores that's supposed to plug gas tank leaks on the fittings. Or anything else you can find. If you can stop the leaks maybe you can limp along until the new hoses arrive. Otherwise, its time to park the car.
Old 06-07-2004, 11:13 PM
Shutemup
Burning Brakes

hmm, I sprung a leak in the smaller fuel return line on my fuel rail.

There is a fitting to the metal hose that is pressed but on the fuel rail side it was held on with a hose clamp.

The leak was because the hose had broken down. I just kinda figure if it has a hose clamp on one end then it won't make any difference on the other end.

Same thing with my power steering, I found a crimped fitting on one end and a hose clamp on the other. So when I replaced the lines I cut the crimped on one off and replaced the line with a clamp on each end.

Power steering seems to be working great now, ya'll are making me wonder about the high pressure side of my fuel line though.

Then again the replacement fuel line kits I see are a compression fitting not threaded, so unless I'm missing something I was thinking a clamp would be fine.

Then again I may end up burnig the thing to the ground but hey.
Old 06-07-2004, 11:21 PM
83na944
Three Wheelin'

Adam,

I think the late models have compression fittings on both ends. Not designed to use hose clamps.
Old 06-07-2004, 11:27 PM
Shutemup
Burning Brakes

k, cause if hose clamp is factory on one end for mine (I don't know if it is on the early cars or if someone did it to mine along the way) then a clamp on both ends is obviously fine.
Old 06-07-2004, 11:40 PM
Rock
Lazer Beam Shooter
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Wtf i bought a 50psi fuel line from Autozone, and a heater hose to go over that. I used clamps on both ends of the fuel rail. The line was tight as it was and wouldnt fall off the fuel rail without the clamps.

My other line was also done with clamps before i even got the car. I dont see why this is such a problem.
Old 06-08-2004, 12:06 AM
83na944
Three Wheelin'

Adam, your car has not been tampered with. Early cars use a hose clamp on that line. The other end has a flared fitting, right?

What did you do, Rock, cut the fitting off the hard line?
Old 06-08-2004, 12:36 AM
ibkevin
Defending the Border
Rennlist Member

Rest In Peace

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oddjob,

I'm aircraft engine mechanic and I'm not crazy about the so-so mechanical integrity of the hose clamp. When I first took my 951 in two of the big race shops here in San Diego within moments I was recieving instructions on how to convert over to the braided hose and clamp set up. One story went that a converted track car had developed a small fire in the headlight wiring and had spread down the pass side of the engine. Without braided lines the rubber hoses would have failed. You know the rest of the story...

The recall only extends the high press side a little to relieve stress.
Old 06-08-2004, 10:44 AM
Dave in Chicago
Rennlist Member

Received 261 Likes on 170 Posts

I think the recall used a part that had both a different rubber compound and slightly changed fittings on the ends. May have also included a change in length?

Quick Reply: High Pressure Fuel Line Replacement