Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rocking Car Squeak

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2004, 12:43 PM
Hans
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

While checking the shocks, make sure that the shock body does not have a "metal to metal" contact with the chassis / body. (rubbers are to be positioned correct)
If not, replace rubber bushings.
It is rare but it happened to me once.
TakeCare
Old 06-02-2004, 01:26 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My car does the same thing. I only hear it in the garage, when it's really quiet. I close the hatch, and I hear what sounds like a kitten meowing. VERY faint..but pressing on the spoiler with my pinky finger generates the noise. Like a squeeky mattress.

I have new Koni's all around...ideas??
Old 06-02-2004, 01:33 PM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by AndyK
My car does the same thing. I only hear it in the garage, when it's really quiet. I close the hatch, and I hear what sounds like a kitten meowing. VERY faint..but pressing on the spoiler with my pinky finger generates the noise. Like a squeeky mattress.

I have new Koni's all around...ideas??
Sell it. Fast.
Old 06-02-2004, 01:39 PM
jamiejim
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't notice it when I press down on it, but just a gentle rocking back and forth causes the squeak.
Old 06-02-2004, 02:21 PM
Mrmerlin
Team Owner

Received 2,548 Likes on 1,430 Posts

Hi Bro after the last post it gave me a few other places to look, first check that the CV joints are tight, you will need a cheese head socket to do this i think it is a 6 MM , after this check that the emergency brake cables are secured to the arms that they run next to , also look for broken trans mounts,(you do know to NEVER jack the car up using the transaxle as a jack point) ?
See if the driveshaft coupler has both of the hex bolts tight, to do this you will need the car jacked up on stands and remove the black rubber cover on the bottom of the transaxle look thru the hole and insert your allen socket and tighten both of the coupler bolts.This coupler connects the drive shaft to the transaxle, the bolts do work loose over time, it might be obvious if you see orange colored dust around the edges of the coupler, this means that metal is rubbing back and forth and has gotten wet to start rusting(You should do this now as well as tightening the CV joints)
Next try tightening the shifter coupler to the shift rod that runs above the left side of the tansaxle, this is just in front of the left inner CV joint
if this fails try removing the rear wheels,calipers and rotors and see if the Emergency brakes are in good condition, maybe one of the E brakes shoes has lost its hold down spring, and there are loose parts inside the rotor/drum. Hope this helps I think that if you dont have a Haynes manual then you should get one this will help with your torque specs. Good luck, Stan
Old 06-02-2004, 02:28 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Come to think of it, it is when the car rocks from side to side. Pressing down one side of the spoiler rocks the car slightly. Or, when I close the door and the car moves a little...

Yup...gotta sell it!

Quick Reply: Rocking Car Squeak