Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

944 project car

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2004, 10:49 PM
BlackKnight44
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 944 project car

As posted in the 944/S2 forum (i'm reposting because i've been told there's more people that will answer my questions here)

ya, i didn't even try to start it....i did see it yesterday...and here's the run down:
1987 944 5sp w/ 74K miles (the dude lied to me about the 20K the trip said like 200 miles on it so maybe he was retarded and got confused)
-red on black interior w/ one rust spot on the front left fender very small easy fix
-the paint is in great shape...in fact, if you rub the dust off (i did it in a small area just to see what would happen) it looks like brand new
-tires have dry rotted to ****
-brakes look like they died
-engine compartment will not open(there's no hoodlatch inside b/c it got ripped off somehow)
-the interior smells like my grandpa
-the clutch stuck in when i pushed it in
-the shifter takes two hands to shift it, and its impossible to get it into neutral
-i decided to look under the car because i'm small i could get to a point where i could see the entire undercaridge of both the tranny in the rear and the engine (from underneath) here's what i found:
-no rust underneath the car...lots of dirt tho...
-everything rubber has gone to ****
-it smells even more like my grandpa
-and the timing belt (or what i could see of it) looks untouched...ie..no cracks, no damage, really good, like brand new.

this car looks like a great project car for the next 3 years, i have the funds i just need ppl w/ the smarts...there's a lot to do on the car to get it running 100%, but for 250 bucks its a steal for a project car...

I found some more info about the car:it was looked after by my friend's dad after my friend's dad's friend went to prison, he's still in prison, the car is titled in his name so i have to get it from his wife, his wife works at burger king, it has been kept for the last 11 years by my friend's dad, he stopped driving in 5 years ago and moved it to the barn, and it smells like my grandpa.

so, maybe its not in such terrible shape as i thought....hopefully

any suggestions?
Old 05-30-2004, 10:53 PM
BlackKnight44
Intermediate

I have one thing to change about that...it is definatly a 83 or a 84...the dash is the old style and so is the front. I don't know much about these cars, but from seeing it yesterday, and looking at a few pictures, it is deffinatly an older one

and if someone could help me out w/ a carfax...the VIN number is:
WPOAAO941FN46581

the F could be an E, but there was a big piece of tar or something covering it, and I couldn't see for sure...better check both...hopefully someone could tell me if there was anything w/ this car or if it was stolen or something.
Old 05-30-2004, 10:57 PM
pete944
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Snap it up for $250. Don't start it until the waterpump and timing belts are changed. You may have been looking at the alternator belt since the timing belt is not visible without removing the front cover on the engine. Be prepared to replace anything on the car that has rubber. The clutch has a rubber centered disc which is probably why it won't shift.

There's alot of knowledge and know-how here to help you out.

Oh, tell grandpa to take a shower.
Old 05-30-2004, 11:00 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

If you don't take it, send a PM to Pete or myself and we will come get it.
Old 05-30-2004, 11:00 PM
BlackKnight44
Intermediate

alright...are there any sites that would have the parts? what do you think the total cost would be...I have 500 bucks after i buy the car to start doing ****...and that could be enough of a start...I just need a website so i can ask for every rubber part on the car...and what's a good manual for someone that's somewhat mechanically inclined...but never done anything but basic maitenence?

anyone got a match on those VIN numbers? or could at least translate them? (like factory, year, blah blah blah)
Old 05-30-2004, 11:02 PM
BlackKnight44
Intermediate

tifosiman sry man if i don't buy it then the guy will sell it for more, i'm only getting it for 250 b/c i'm his son's friend...but w/out a doubt i'm buying it...maybe since you live relatively close to me you could help me out? or is there anyone near the cleveland area that knows something about these cars?
Old 05-30-2004, 11:24 PM
icat
Race Car

At $250 the car is a great find, however...
If all you have is $500 then you need to buy the car and part it out. A 944 NA is NOT a good candidate for a project car - especially one where the history is unknown. You will need to replace belts, rollers, and waterpump BEFORE you even attempt to start the car. If you don't, then you run the risk of toasting the engine the minute you start it. Even if you do the work yourself - some, not all, of the tools required to do the job will cost you a good portion of the $500 you have to begin with. The parts will likely take the rest and then some. Add to that new tires and cash for "other" items, and you've got yourself a bonified money pit. If, and only if, you had others with experience working on these cars to help (and Rennlist is a GREAT place to find those fellas), then you might be able to get the car road worthy. And that's only if the clutch can be salvaged. If not, add another $600 for parts. Better look at CV joints as well....
I think you get the idea. The cost will mount VERY quickly. In the end you'll have several thousand dollars in a car that smells like Grandpa and looks like hell, and probably only runs ok.
If I sound like I'm trying to burst your bubble it's because I am. Mine is one of those voices of experience that has been down this exact road. I had nearly $10,000 in my 83 944 project car before I pulled the plug and let her go.
Old 05-30-2004, 11:25 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

500 bucks isnt going to get you very far unfortunetly
Old 05-30-2004, 11:26 PM
jonnybgood
Burning Brakes

You say only a small rust spot, my bet is that there will be more that you cannot see. I think you could find cars that are ready to run except for engine work for less than 1k. This car sounds like three years of work and cleaning and may have much more than the engine to work on. Based on what you said I would walk away.

The guy who owns it is in prison? good luck on getting him to sign it off to you. Only if his wife's name is on the title using both words "and/or" can she sign it over to you.
Old 05-30-2004, 11:28 PM
BlackKnight44
Intermediate

ooo it doesn't look like hell...lets put it that way...w/ some wax the paint will look brand new...and the gpa smell is not as bad as I make it out to be, and I know, and am willing, to put 3K into this car to get it running great, but if worst comes to worst...I'll part it out here on rennlist or on ebay, and everyone can have dibs on just about everything. I just don't garentee it being in good or even descent shape...

...now does anyone have a check on those VINs yet? I mean someone's gotta have the info on how to at least translate where it was built and the year or something...
Old 05-30-2004, 11:37 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Google is your friend:

http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/P...6/VINAnat.html
Old 05-30-2004, 11:41 PM
hoffman912
The Hoffinator
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts

if you dont take it and pete and tifo dont take it tell me... ill take it, as i need a parts car cheep.
Old 05-30-2004, 11:44 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

1) you are missing a digit.

2) def. a 944 VIN

3) 1st digit W - Europe

4) 1st and 2nd digit WP - Germany

5) 2nd and 3rd digit P0 - Porsche

6) 4-8 digit AAXXX - Model (944)

7) 9 Check digit - Missing

8) 10th Year code (not possible since you are missing a digit)

9) 11th Plant code (should be N for Neckarsulm)

10) 12-17 are serial #

Okay now then your corrected VIN should probably read WP0AA9441FN046581 NOT WPOAAO941FN46581 (I think, it is the only way I can get the check digit to be correct and it puts everything where it belongs.

If this is the case then the car you are looking at is an Early 1985 (pre change to new dash) 944 NA made in Nekarsulm.

Ask if you need anymore help.
Old 05-30-2004, 11:49 PM
BlackKnight44
Intermediate

alright so an early 85 possibly an 84 or something...is this a good project? or is it time to buy it and part it out, and see if I can get more then 250 by parting everything on the car out...down to the chasis....on rennlist or ebay...
Old 05-30-2004, 11:49 PM
BlackKnight44
Intermediate

o and its around 600 for anyone that's not me...i'm just a family friend...if anyone was wondering...

Quick Reply: 944 project car