Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

XPost: Need a new clutch

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2004, 10:30 AM
Darth Coupe
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XPost: Need a new clutch

Well, I toasted my clutch such that the car will not shift into gear when the car is running. When I came off the track, the clutch pedal was on the floor. That has been popped up again and we could see the shift fork moving when the car was off and I shifted gears. What we think happened is that the rivets were stripped off and the clutch is no longer releasing.

So now I guess I need to get a new clutch. Any recomendations as to which to go for? Is OEM the only option to go with? TIA.
Old 05-24-2004, 10:36 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Are you certain that it is not the clutch cylinder keeping the clutch from disengaging? It could be a simple fix.
Old 05-24-2004, 11:03 AM
Darth Coupe
Burning Brakes

This is what I am going to look at first. I am going to try and bleed it and see if that solves the problem. Then maybe a replacement of it if that doesnt work, then do the clutch as that would make everything new.
Old 05-24-2004, 02:24 PM
clouddomino
Instructor

If it does end up being your clutch, I replaced my factory clutch with a Stage 3 Spec performance clutch. Which is available through lindsey racing. The difference is like night and day, and you'll spend about as much on OEM parts as to go aftermarket. Also while you've got the transaxel pull and the bellhousing disassembled you might as well replace the flywheel. Not only will your car rev faster and higher it will give you more power to the rear wheels and lighten your car about 15 lbs. I replaced mine with a Spec light wieght aluminum flywheel (also from lindsey) and am very pleased with the gains. If you do decide to do the clutch and flywheel let me know I have an extra performance flywheel to get rid of. Good luck.
Old 05-24-2004, 03:47 PM
Darth Coupe
Burning Brakes

I had a lightened flywheel in my Prelude and absolutely loved it. However, I am considering doing Club Racing and that would be a stock class bumper. Also, with the 968, you do not need to pull the transaxle to get the clutch out, there is a seperate access panel put in for the 968 making it a much easier job.
Old 05-25-2004, 12:05 AM
83na944
Three Wheelin'

with the 968, you do not need to pull the transaxle to get the clutch out, there is a seperate access panel put in for the 968 making it a much easier job.
On 944s the driveshaft rests in a pilot bearing in the crankshaft. The drive shaft literally passes through the clutch assembly. You have to remove the transaxle to slide the driveshaft back to replace the clutch on 944s.

Is that different on the 968?
Old 05-25-2004, 10:03 AM
Darth Coupe
Burning Brakes

Yes, you do not need to remove as much to do the 968 clutch job. It was one of the improvements.
Old 05-28-2004, 09:56 AM
Darth Coupe
Burning Brakes

Well, now there is a new wrench in the system. I popped the clutch pedal off the floor after the first bleeding with just the front end in the air and test drive. I then bled the slave again with the rear in the air. Now I go to push in the clutch and it will not go down. Also, the lever arm where the slave plugs into is all the way to the front of the inspection hole. Does this sound like the master or the fork?

Quick Reply: XPost: Need a new clutch