Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who Has Sunroof Straps?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2004, 11:12 PM
nineeagles
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Who Has Sunroof Straps?

I remember reading quite awhile ago about sunroof safety straps.....does anyone have these or know what I mean.....my power sunroof crapped out a long time ago (po)....and I would like to just use it manually....I changed the sunroof rear latch to the manual style and if you turn them around and use them to support the back of the hatch in the up position (latch resting in the hatch opening ledge)....the roof has a tendency to lift with the wind and I would like to keep it....if ya know what I mean.....does anyone know of any safety straps (oem or not)........thanks
Old 05-20-2004, 11:22 PM
88BlueTSiQuest
Pro

OEM. It's a single strap that's screwed to the center rear of the inside of the sunroof. There is a snap on the headliner that the strap snaps to, to keep the sunroof on the car when the roof is popped open.

Mine is missing the strap, and I haven't been able to locate one. I have the snap on my headline, and the screw and washer on the sunroof itself, but the strap is gone

This would of only been on '83's and maybe '84's with the manual roof. It's also possibly on 924's with a manual roof.

If you find one, let me know. I need one in black
Old 05-20-2004, 11:28 PM
goingboeing737
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like an easy DYI. A short leather belt with a grommet in one end and a snap on the other...???

I have the latches to convert mine over. Does it really come up while driving ? Even with the 2 front latches snapped closed.
Old 05-21-2004, 11:26 AM
nineeagles
Pro

mine will bounce a little and it makes me nervous that it will pop out. years ago I had a glass sunroof in a pickup truck and I had it attached at the front and propped up in the back and the wind lifted it right out and it flew in the air for a minute and crashed to ground and shattered into a thousand pieces.....luckily no one behind me at the time......I guess I could make my own strap system......I have not snap on the headliner but I am sure I can rig up something......
Old 05-21-2004, 12:01 PM
Dales944
Burning Brakes

Mine was ripped, so I made one. I used a nylon strap (like a dog's leash). I couldn't re-use the snap from the leather so I bought new snaps when I got the strap (Just make sure you get snaps with a hole through the center). For sizing, I simply put the S/R in the raised position and, with one end of the strap secured to the S/R (screw/washer), I pulled the other end tight and noted where it met up with the screw-hole for the snap. After adding the snap and checking the length again, I cut the end off and melted it with a lighter.

Exceeding easy to do. Yeah, it's not OEM, but at least my S/R doesn't bounce around.

HTH.

Dale.
Old 05-21-2004, 12:01 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 184 Likes on 109 Posts

I'm surprised your's has a tendency to lift. Both of my cars are manual: stock on the 83 and converted on the 951. I've had both cars well over a 100 mph with no lift or chatter at all. Are the front latch hinge pins both good on yours? If the pins are good and latches down it's impossible for the hatch to blow out. The OEM strap will not keep the sunroof snug anyway, it has about 1.5" of slack in it. I would check the play in your front hinges. With the sunroof closed can you push up at either corner in the front? Just a thought.
Old 05-21-2004, 12:33 PM
joes
Racer

Watch out for lifting sunroofs!!! I was driving an old junky one that the rear latches had broken. It would lift when the wind was just right in the back. Well.. it lifted good one last time and slipped out of the front latches flew out and danced out into the air about 25 ft. up (about 70 MPH) It came down on the guy's Solaria way behind me and busted out his windshield and dented the pillar,scratched the roof good. Bad news!! It almost went through the windshield and could of killed him. The sunroof survived with minor chips and a little crushed on one corner!!
Old 05-21-2004, 02:09 PM
nineeagles
Pro

woah!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-21-2004, 04:04 PM
Don 944 LA
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by joes
Watch out for lifting sunroofs!!! I was driving an old junky one that the rear latches had broken. It would lift when the wind was just right in the back. Well.. it lifted good one last time and slipped out of the front latches flew out and danced out into the air about 25 ft. up (about 70 MPH) It came down on the guy's Solaria way behind me and busted out his windshield and dented the pillar,scratched the roof good. Bad news!! It almost went through the windshield and could of killed him. The sunroof survived with minor chips and a little crushed on one corner!!
Thats why I converted mine to manual latches.

Rear lifters broke, rear brackets broke, front clips broken / missing.

Freeeway frisbee

anything over 30 mph would lift the sunroof. If you have this problem, then open (1) window 2" and the vacume will keep it down
Old 05-25-2004, 02:44 AM
TurboTime
Instructor

Tweeks/Mid America Motorworks used to carry them. I ordered a brown one several years ago. Their old catalogs have them listed as part #401-920(black) and #401-922(brown) - strap. Price was $39.99

It's just a vinyl strap about 4" long with snaps. Lot cheaper to make one. It's not a Porche part number. 1-888-489-3357 for Tweeks.
Hope that helps,

TurboTime
Old 05-25-2004, 07:23 PM
88BlueTSiQuest
Pro

Originally posted by TurboTime
Tweeks/Mid America Motorworks used to carry them. I ordered a brown one several years ago. Their old catalogs have them listed as part #401-920(black) and #401-922(brown) - strap. Price was $39.99

It's just a vinyl strap about 4" long with snaps. Lot cheaper to make one. It's not a Porche part number. 1-888-489-3357 for Tweeks.
Hope that helps,

TurboTime
I actually saw that listed in the last Tweeks that came in the mail. They only had Brown listed, but I figured for the price they wanted, I would either try to find someone parting out an early, or just try to find the snaps needed to make it my self. I couldn't foresee it being worth as much as they sell it for....
Old 05-25-2004, 11:04 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 184 Likes on 109 Posts

If you make it out of doubled 1" black elastic with snaps you'll be able to keep some tension on the sunroof and prevent rattles. Shouldn't cost more than $2 to make one. Have someone stitch it together on any sewing machine.

Quick Reply: Who Has Sunroof Straps?