Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trouble with PCA - Germany region fading away....

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2004, 08:08 AM
*Michael.*
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Trouble with PCA - Germany region fading away....

Even though I currently do not own a Porsche I have still participated with the PCA - Germany. This year we have not been able to have any events because of trouble with insurance thanks to PCA. We are probably one of the most diverse clubs with Americans, Germanys, Irish and our president from South Africa. That is where the problem starts, we have a President that isn't American. The fact that he has been active in the club for 10 years and works directly for Porsche AG doesn't seem to matter either. This club had an incredible auto-x racing program that we ran on some inactive runways that were huge! It was fun while it lasted. Here is the message that I recieved.....

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Hi all,

Once again let me apologise to you, our members, for not having had any events this year.

As you know there are difficulties over securing insurance cover for our motorsport events this year. We are currently under instruction from PCA HQ not to run any events - even social events - until they have secured insurance to their satisfaction. However this issue has now dragged out for an excessively long time and the management of PCA Germany region is totally frustrated. We have no reliable estimate from PCA HQ for how long PCA Germany region will have to wait for this to be resolved.

Attached is a resignation letter from our president, XXXXXXXXX, who feels that he cannot continue as president under these circumstances. He presents his reasons in full in the letter.

This is extremely bad as XXXX has been responsible - almost single-handed - for evolving the club from a dormant region into the active thriving region we had up to last year. It is depressing that such leader and motivator - and such a good friend to all of us - is frustrated to the point of resignation when all he was trying to do was help other to share our common passion for Porsche cars.

I must say that I share his frustration and I am planning to resign as well.

If any of you are interested in becoming more active in running the region and continuing the work of trying to resolve this - particularly if you are one of our US Citizen members - please contact us now - your region needs you.

XXXXXXXXXXX
Vice President

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
And the letter.....

Dear PCA Germany Region members and Porsche friends,

My membership in the enthusiast Porsche club scene of the PCA stretches back to 1994. Over the years I have made a lot of friends in the Germany Region and I have also dedicated a great deal of my time and enthusiasm to the club. For several years I served as Motorsport Chairman where I managed to turn a struggling slalom series into the very popular and competitive slalom championship that we have today and finally, after the region’s bylaws were changed, being elected as the first non-American President of Germany Region.

I never realised that my “foreigner” status would be a problem to anybody (certainly the Germany Region membership have no problem with that, seen that approximately half of our region are non-US citizens), but unfortunately Tom Bobbitt (PCA National President) has questioned if non-Americans had the right to be senior officers. It is not a very comforting thought to know that “foreigners” could be seen as second class members within the PCA organization, but I brushed it all aside and concentrated on looking after the interests of Germany Region.

Beginning 2003 PCA HQ changed their insurance underwriter, but the new policy completely left Germany Region out of the contract. We obviously complained about this situation to PCA HQ, whereby their reaction seemed to be that in some way it was the fault of Germany Region for not having insurance cover. When I demanded that Germany Region receive the same insurance cover as given to other regions, Tom Bobbitt personally wrote back threatening to “reconsider the viability” of keeping our region.

In agreement with PCA HQ, Germany Region purchased insurance from a German insurance company and proceeded with the 2003 season. The cover we obtained complied with all German legal requirements, but was not deemed to be good enough by PCA HQ. This we can accept, but the progress from there on to obtain satisfactory cover has been incredibly slow.

In the mean time, Tom Bobbitt wrote a secret letter to Porsche AG and PCNA stating that he was considering withdrawing Germany Region’s regional charter. As a senior employee of Porsche AG, Tom Bobbitt’s letter was brought to my attention and I managed to block any negative action against PCA Germany Region. As a consequence of this letter, I questioned Tom Bobbitt’s motives and emphasized the fact that he is operating outside of his mandate as National President. Since then the relationship between me, as President of Germany Region, and Bobbitt, as President of PCA, has been severely strained.

The situation now is that Germany Region has been forbidden from holding any events until PCA HQ settles the insurance issue. Germany Region is not authorised to agree on any policy. Failure to adhere to this directive could mean legal action against our region.

XXXXXX XXXXXXX(our Vice President) has taken over the negotiations with PCA HQ, but he is also experiencing severe frustration with the slowness of the discussions. This insurance issue has been dragging on for more that 1 year now. The inability of PCA HQ to find a solution is totally undermining our efforts to run a successful region and we already had to cancel the 2004 Potluck and Slalom 1. There is nothing we can do on this as we are not authorised to act and PCA HQ say that they can do nothing to speed up the negotiations. We are completely at the mercy of PCA HQ here.

I feel that we have proceeded with the insurance negotiations in good faith and tried our best to resolve the situation with PCA HQ. Unfortunately this good faith has not been returned and the differences with Bobbitt are not likely to be resolved. The PCA organization should be a meeting place for like-minded Porsche enthusiasts and not a fighting square where certain individuals can practice their xenophobia and spitefulness. I am particularly upset that the PCA President has not withdrawn the statement he made where he claimed the right to unilaterally “reconsider the viability” of Germany Region and 40 years of Porsche club tradition of supporting US citizens overseas - not to mention many other nationalities. I am also very aware of Bobbitt’s attitude that it is not appropriate for a non-American to lead the region and that it would simply increase the conflict between PCA and PCA-GR if I confront this attitude. I should say that I do not think this attitude is representative of the American members of PCA-GR and no other member of the PCA National board has expressed the same bias.

After a lot of thought on this situation I have decided that it would be in the best interest of PCA Germany Region if I step down from my position as Germany Region President (effective immediately) and hand over my duties to an US citizen.

In the meantime XXXXXX XXXXXXX will act as interim President of Germany Region. Together with the Board of Germany Region he will form a nomination committee, which will be tasked to recommend a suitable candidate for the position of President.

I hope to remain an active member within Germany Region, it just will not be on an executive level any more. I wish PCA and PCA Germany Region the very best for the future.

XXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXX 18 May 2004

-This is very annoying, this was a very good club with a lot of nice people.

Last edited by *Michael.*; 05-18-2004 at 06:11 PM.
Old 05-18-2004, 11:32 AM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Well if you have to be "American", in the usual U.S. use of the word, that would put all the Canadian PCA chapters in an odd position.

I guess we'll have to import guys from south of the border to fill executive positions!

What a mess.
Old 05-18-2004, 11:40 AM
Jay Wellwood
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 267 Likes on 154 Posts

I am truly disappointed with the apparent attitude of Tom Bobbitt. Someone should forward this on to him and inquire as to it's merit.
Old 05-18-2004, 11:54 AM
Dave
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by Peckster
Well if you have to be "American", in the usual U.S. use of the word, that would put all the Canadian PCA chapters in an odd position.

I guess we'll have to import guys from south of the border to fill executive positions!

What a mess.
Well, he did mention that the vacating president was from South America, and the words "North American" didn't come up! I'd have to believe the use of "Americans" was, indeed, the US version.
I once considered it strange that the Porsche Club of America would have regions outside of America, but the fact is that it's a long standing precident and there's no reason to change it. Sounds to me like Bobbitt's being petty and I'd like to hear his side of it, OTOH, considering that "long standing precident" I'm having a hard time thinking his side of it could have much merit.
Good luck, I hope you guys can work it out with PCA and I'm sorry to hear that it's come to this.
Old 05-18-2004, 11:56 AM
icat
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One of the reasons I elected NOT to renew my membership in PCA is the mindless political bickering that goes on there. And it's everywhere - on the local, regional, and national levels. For gosh sakes people - these are cars, not thermal nuclear devices! Get a grip for gosh sakes!
And PCA - If your reading this (which I doubt) - IT'S THE PEOPLE STUPID! Read your own moto for gooodness sakes!

There - rant over. And yes I feel MUCH better now. Hey, has anyone seen my medications....
Old 05-18-2004, 11:56 AM
Dave
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by Jay Wellwood
I am truly disappointed with the apparent attitude of Tom Bobbitt. Someone should forward this on to him and inquire as to it's merit.
It should be forwarded to him, but maybe we should remove the rrefferences to the Canadian regions, we wouldn't want to give PCA any ideas now would we?
Old 05-18-2004, 12:35 PM
Billy W
Racer

I think that the PCA is having problems with their insurance all over. Our Carolina's region used to do the go-kart track once a year and we have now been told by PCA that we can nolonger do that because of insurance. I wonder why they are worried when we are at a public go-kart track that I am sure has their own insurance.
Old 05-18-2004, 01:57 PM
RSflared72e
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally posted by Billy W
I think that the PCA is having problems with their insurance all over. Our Carolina's region used to do the go-kart track once a year and we have now been told by PCA that we can nolonger do that because of insurance. I wonder why they are worried when we are at a public go-kart track that I am sure has their own insurance.
It's the same problem that permeates our culture, and virtually paralyzes many professions. The (unfortunately justified) fear of possible litigation overrides an entity's ability to operate in its intended function. Damn shame. In this case, PCA knows that in the event of some actual or alleged incident, the lawyers for the plaintiff will go for every pair of pockets he can shove his hands in.
Old 05-18-2004, 05:39 PM
Tony K
Burning Brakes

The members of the Germany region should all unanimously resign/terminate their memberships and start their own Porsche club, with their insurance that they have already successfully secured. If Bobbit and PCA are going to be difficult, then its time to have fun and enjoy their club without them. They should just "secede."

...and yes, I am a PCA member, a very happy one, who thinks the NOR PCA is an excellent car club and am looking forward to another fun season of autox and socials....

I've been through so many car clubs and got sick of them because people get this "big fish in a little pond" syndrome and start acting like the car club is of terrible importance. If PCA gets too stuffy and uptight, I'll let my uninterrupted 6-year chain of "Panorama" magazines trail off.

I was in the local Lotus club for a while, and I remember a meeting where the officers asked for help and members gave excuses not to volunteer because they were afraid of being sued. ...puh-leeze...
Old 05-18-2004, 06:12 PM
*Michael.*
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by Dave
Well, he did mention that the vacating president was from South America, .

OOps, typo.... That is actually South Africa....
Old 05-18-2004, 07:01 PM
User 41221
Banned

Received 172 Likes on 107 Posts

wow... I hope the fine folks at Porsche AG are truly ashamed by this. This doesn't represent the best of what they have to offer by a long shot, and I hope someone sees this and does something about it.

I've said it before, and I will say it again. Rennlist is my "car club" of choice. We formed the KC Wrenching Society largely because the local PCA didn't really address what we were looking for. Thats not meant to be taken as a slam on PCA, just a fact. Rather than try to change an existing organization to suit our needs (which are probably in the minority, you'll have to ask some of other local PCA members to speak on their behalf), we decided to create our own, with the support of Rennlist. I would suggest that you guys consider doing the same, you'd be surprised how quickly we have blossomed into a "real club". We are now sponsoring events/shows, wrenching parties, have our own website and are considering some driving events at some point. Drop me a line or visit us at www.kcws.org if you think we could be of any help to you.

Regards,
Old 05-18-2004, 07:03 PM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I think a petition to Mr. Bobbitt is in order from Porsche Club members from around the world.
Old 05-19-2004, 11:29 AM
Brian Wilson
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I let my membership run out last year because they let us know ahead of time that we might have insurance problems, but nothing about officer problems. The club was originally started here by american military officers in the early 80's I think. Maybe part of the reason we were allowed to have it is that the runways were technically on US soil like the rest of the base. I'm not sure, it's only a guess. We no longer own the runways that we race on, the germans do and they're trying to tear them up. It's a lose lose situation.

Lots of bickering from the PCA up top. It's just not worth the trouble. I'm not sure what these guys are getting out of it anymore.
Old 05-19-2004, 11:37 AM
Kurt
Three Wheelin'

One of the problems with this type of issue is communication - there is no central forum, online or otherwise, where PCA members can communicate with each other. There used to be a forum online, but it was limited and is now gone.

It really could use an online forum similar to this common and popular vbulletin layout/scheme.
Old 05-19-2004, 11:46 AM
Geo
Race Director

This just makes me shake my head. I finally get a PCA membership and now I wonder why.

Quick Reply: Trouble with PCA - Germany region fading away....