Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trouble with PCA - Germany region fading away....

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2004, 09:22 AM
Kurt
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Brian Wilson
no one get mad, mike sits at a desk down the hall from me and we're friends... for now.
Good thing you put that waiver in there!

I would imagine that acquiring its own insurance would be too much of a financial stretch for the German branch of the PCA on its own. One course of action to look into more would be to see if the PCA would get a separate insurance coverage, from a different company perhaps, for the German branch (unless that is the case already and it's not the same for PCA regions across the world).
Old 05-24-2004, 02:37 PM
jrothma
6th Gear

Default Thanks Jay

Thanks to Jay Wellwood for taking a step to find real information.

I hope that the members of Germany region can and will continue to gather, enjoy the cameraderie, and the cars as a group. Perhaps this group will not have "PCA" in their name, but the friendships and fun can certainly continue.

It is a shame that in our overly litigous society that so many decisions must be based upon the question: "What if we got sued?". This is true for any organization or individual that has significant assets.

Joe
'92 964 C2 daily driver
'89 944S2 race car
Old 06-04-2004, 04:14 PM
Irishdriver
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This reply was posted in another area but I'm reposting here for consistency. Jay, your information is basically correct but it has nothing to do with post 9/11 increased security problems. Your informed answer is also an indication of the problem - as your post predates the information being given to Germany Region !!!!!
Read 0n....

Hi All,

I'm posting this mail in the hope of everyone having a clear understanding of the issues.

The situation with PCA Germany region is very simple. We are part of an American club operating outside of the US. We have a problem with insurance cover. This is not a problem for Porsche AG - it is not a problem for Porsche Cars North America - it is a PCA problem.

Insurance in Germany is not a problem and Mr. Bobbits letter to the club members implying US Citizens would not be insured at our events is simply not true. All participants in events would be insured regardless of nationality under a German policy.

The real issue is the American Legal system and the possibility of legal action in the US over something that happens in Germany.

The Insurance experts here in Germany have identified that German Based Insurance:
1) cannot name an additional insured being a resident from abroad
(Hence PCA HQ Management in the US cannot be named)
2) does not cover activities in the US / CAN (not necessary)
3) does not cover legal disputes in US / CAN
(Hence no cover if sued in the US over an event in Germany)

In addition PCA HQ has told us that their US based insurance is not prepared to cover PCA for any action or liability arising out of an event outside of of the US/CAN.

This means there is a big gap in the insurance coverage. What to do if sued in the US over an event in Germany? PCA HQ have told us that they have had insurance evaluators and legal guys examine this and they have determined that the risk is too great for PCA to take themselves. Germany Region never even had an insurance claim in our 40+ years - but I'm not an insurance loss adjuster so I have to accept their decision. Their decision is based on the risk to the assets of the other 139 regions.

The process of having a right to reply is a bit pointless unless we can find a source of suitable insurance. We will make a submnission to the July Executive meeting but we are limited in what we can suggest. This situation is sad as Germany Region was 40 years old last year - that is a lot of tradition to lose.

It is also a bad reflection of the current US legal approach where people refuse to take responsibility for themselves and their own actions and try to involve anyone with the means to pay compensation. Also the concept of "Punative damages" does not exist in Germany.

The agressive tone and bad feelings shown in the correspondance so far are a direct consequence of too little information being shared with the region. If we had been kept up to date on the situation a lot of that could have been avoided. Mr. Bobbit - please be more open when other regions have difficulties !! Good communication can avoid many problems. We're not happy about the situation but we could have understood the difficulties if you had given us access to the full information.

Going forward, members in Germany Region are being offered transfers to other regions and many will take this up. Some because they want the Panorama and some because they plan to move to the US sometime. A significant number will decide to quit the PCA as they feel let down by all of this.

Those staying in Germany can join Porsche Club Deutschland and do events with them. Some are thinking of forming their own club. I have no doubt that the friendships that have been formed in the region will continue.

I thank the members of the PCA executive who have worked hard to try and find a solution and maintain communication. However, as the PCA president questioned the purpose and viability of Germany region last November, I must say that I'm not totally surprised by the outcome.

David Kennedy
Vice President (probably the last), Germany Region
(acting President)
Old 06-11-2004, 05:09 PM
996racer
Advanced

Wow...Bobbit should be sacked for his comments. I am disgusted that he feels that only US citizens have the right the be executives of a PCA chapter, especially since the region in question is in Germany. Sad, pitiful and disgusting. It looks like he is just trying to cover his own ***.
Old 06-11-2004, 05:17 PM
Brian Wilson
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I feel the same. The guys in our chapter weren't your average Porsche owners. They were a great bunch of guys, even the Irish ones!!! David rode with me on my very first practice lap at my very first Auto X in my (sold) gold 944. Stef, the former president, was a great driver too. I learned a lot from listening to them, and they put a lot into the club. They put a lot more into it than I did. They deserve to be in charge of the chapter.
Old 06-11-2004, 05:25 PM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Kudos to David Kennedy for setting the record straight in such an eloquent and succinct manner. Truly sorry to see such a sad outcome.
Old 08-18-2024, 12:52 PM
Hermann Renz
4th Gear

Hi all,
found this post by accident and i wonder if the PCA Germany group is still excisting.
If anybody could give me an answer, i would appreciate it.

Thanks

Regards
Hermann
Old 08-18-2024, 05:16 PM
931guru
Rennlist Member

Received 338 Likes on 278 Posts

There are past members of the Germany region around, but there is no PCA Germany Region anymore, per se.

Last edited by 931guru; 08-18-2024 at 05:41 PM.
Old 08-18-2024, 05:38 PM
Hermann Renz
4th Gear

Thanks for the reply.
As i´m member of the PCA in the US, i was not aware of the german group. Sad to hear, that they do not exist anymore.
Do not really understand, which "insurance" problem they have with it, or did the group go on the track ?
Do you know where the guys here in Germany are located ?

Regards
Hermann

Old 08-18-2024, 05:44 PM
931guru
Rennlist Member

Received 338 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by Hermann Renz
Thanks for the reply.
As i´m member of the PCA in the US, i was not aware of the german group. Sad to hear, that they do not exist anymore.
Do not really understand, which "insurance" problem they have with it, or did the group go on the track ?
Do you know where the guys here in Germany are located ?

Regards
Hermann
Read the first post in this thread and you will get a better idea.

AFAIK, the members of PCA Germany were mostly US service personnel on assignment there.

There is a Facebook group: Former Germany Region Porsche Club of America
The following users liked this post:
Hermann Renz (08-18-2024)

Quick Reply: Trouble with PCA - Germany region fading away....