Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ball joints easy? ...I don't think so!

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2004, 08:37 PM
fpena944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 54 Posts
Angry Ball joints easy? ...I don't think so!

Ok so for the last 4 hours I've been wondering why I ever decided to embark on this project of replacing my ball joints. And to top it off, we're talking 4 hours on one side!!!

Although I know some people have been successful with replacing the joints while the arms are still on the car, I was not even going to attempt to do so. Once I saw what that little snap ring had in store for me I knew I would have to remove it.

So I did and I wrestled with the stupid little clip for probably an hour and when I finally removed it I was ecstatic! I thought I was so close to the finish line. The plastic bushings of course were all in pieces so I replaced them and started lubing things up.

Little did I know that now the real fun begins. It seems that re-installing the little snap ring is actually more difficult than removing it. I think I've been at this thing for 2 hours and being as late as it is, if I ever get it done this will be the only side for this evening!

Anyway I needed to vent and ask if anyone has any hints??? I'm using a 6 inch vice but it keeps slipping and popping off when the pressure gets too great.

...awwww, this sucks!!!!
Old 05-17-2004, 08:50 PM
Bhj0887
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same problem. Get the vice positioned so that its putting pressure on one side of the zerk fitting. The jam the snap ring in the groove and use a hammer and screwdriver and bang the sides in. I hope this was helpful and understandable.

If worse comes to worse, you could try putting that stuff that goes in cabinets on the ends of the sockets to prevent it from slipping or you could bring the arms somewhere that has a press.
Old 05-17-2004, 08:53 PM
Travis - sflraver
Site Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

One the lower plate side you use a socket as a spacer between the vice jaw and the plate. Put the socket with the "bolt" side towards the plate. Use a socket that just fits over the lower bump in the plate so it keeps it centered. Make sure you are not hitting the ball pin with the other socket. It should be big enough so it only contacts the arm around the lip that holds the boot on. Squeeze it down in the vice so its nice and tight (so it will not reasonable go any more). Use the snap ring pliers to put the new snap ring in.
You will have to put the new snap ring over the socket on the plate side before you go clamping.

Its not all that difficult of a job after your first one. The first one is always the worst, after that ... your a pro.

If you have questions beyond that feel free to give me a call. You can reach me at 954-445-6437

Travis
Old 05-17-2004, 08:55 PM
Travis - sflraver
Site Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally posted by Bhj0887
or you could bring the arms somewhere that has a press.
I have tried a press and a vice is much quicker and easier.
Old 05-17-2004, 08:58 PM
mikl1976
Racer

we just did this this weekend.. and the way travis just stated is the easiest way.. only takes a few min to put in if you use the socket trick.
Old 05-17-2004, 09:15 PM
Dave
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My first one took 6 hours but I wasted the first 4 hours ona POS clamp and 2 trips to home depot. Once I got it apart it went back together pretty easily. For removing the snap ring, try different screwdrivers, the first one I tried would barely move it, I switched to a different one and the thing came right out. The new snap rings are even easier, start at one end and work your way around to the other end. Even working upside down (arms on the car) the first one went in on the first try, the second one took a second attempt 'cause working upside-down and left-handed isn't my forte.
The first one took me 6 hours, the second one took me an hour and a half.
Old 05-17-2004, 09:15 PM
fpena944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 54 Posts
Talking SUCCESS!!!

Wow you guys are great!

I type my message and within 10 minutes have a number of responses that helped me get past my hump.

I tried the socket method and was able to lock the ring in within 2-3 minutes - no problem!

I doubt I'll do the other one tonight however but at least my next weekend won't be completely consumed by the other side.
Old 05-17-2004, 09:20 PM
icat
Race Car

Well, actually...
To get the snap ring out and back on we used a "C" Clamp. Worked pretty good too. Put the bottom of the clamp (the part that doesn't move) on the end of the joint and used the movable part of the clamp to compress the spring by pushing down on the cap. I will admit up front that I don't know the names of the parts - but it really worked pretty good.
Old 05-17-2004, 09:39 PM
Travis - sflraver
Site Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

Once you get past the "mind numbing" clip with no holes it goes along nicely. I use a small pointed screwdeiver to pop them out now. It was in a $6 set of 30pcs from wal-mart. It came with 3 pointed screwdrivers.. one straight and 2 with hook type ends. They are the best tools I have found for the job.
Old 05-17-2004, 09:39 PM
car_slave
Pro

Tried both ways, and now favor the C-clamp method. The A-arm is so heavy that it can take a while just trying to get the whole thing balanced. I also drilled a small hole behind the original clip to aid in it's removal.

Quick Reply: Ball joints easy? ...I don't think so!