Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

944 8v ITB Development

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2023, 08:39 AM
JRP944
Rennlist Member

Received 138 Likes on 71 Posts

I have a cut off NA manifold stub to use for my prototype inlet manifold. For small runs of these, the plan is to have them made as machined and welded assemblies and then bead blasted externally for a consistent finish.

944 8v inlet manifold

944 8v inlet flange

I know in the past folks have expressed interest in purchasing machined inlet flanges to build their own manifolds. Is this still something of interest to anyone? I'd be willing to sell the base manifold flanges or even the complete inlet manifold with throttle flanges so you could build your own kit with Jenvey, AT Power, OBX or anybody's throttles of your choosing. If that is of interest to anyone, please post a reply and let me know your thoughts on pricing. Thanks!

JRP
Old 01-28-2023, 10:09 AM
sm
Drifting

Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts

In case you haven’t seen this, Hayward makes ITBs for the 968. How will your envisioned product differ?

Hayward’s webpage also indicates they might sell manifold / flange parts for the 944.

http://haywardperformance.com/intake-systems/porsche/

Last edited by sm; 01-28-2023 at 10:12 AM.
Old 01-28-2023, 12:25 PM
JRP944
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sm
In case you haven’t seen this, Hayward makes ITBs for the 968. How will your envisioned product differ?

Hayward’s webpage also indicates they might sell manifold / flange parts for the 944.

http://haywardperformance.com/intake-systems/porsche/
I'd say the main difference is that I'm developing a system with the ITBs and the plenum for the 8v cars, and hopefully eventually doing the same thing for the 16v cars. I've never spoken to Lance, but from what I see on his site, he sells the open trumpet systems for 16v cars. I imagine he'd put together a bespoke system with a plenum for someone who wanted it, but I don't know this since I haven't talked to him.

Lance uses the Jenvey ITBs, which are nice quality for sure. I'm leaning toward producing my own ITBs with a different style linkage that uses the stock 944 throttle cable instead of an aftermarket one. My throttles and the Jenveys are both butterfly type (versus the shaft-less AT Power version) but mine are designed to be billet machined instead of cast (like Jenvey) and utilize a different linkage adjustment style.

JRP
The following users liked this post:
vacuumnoise (04-19-2023)
Old 03-04-2023, 07:17 PM
JRP944
Rennlist Member

Received my CNC machined ITB flanges and elbows to be used with the cut down NA intake flange for the prototype inlet manifold. Need to do a final check on the engine tomorrow so the elbows can be cut in the correct locations before I send it off for welding.

Also have a 3D printed inlet flange in there to test fit that is representative of what a CNC machined version would be. Looks like a couple hole positions still need some tweaking before finalizing, but that's not a very big deal. Better in plastic than machined aluminum.

JRP

Last edited by JRP944; 03-04-2023 at 07:19 PM.
The following 6 users liked this post by JRP944:
AkechiMotors (03-04-2023), frederickcook87 (09-27-2023), J1NX3D (03-04-2023), sm (03-05-2023), Tiger03447 (03-05-2023), vacuumnoise (04-19-2023) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 03-05-2023, 04:37 PM
AkechiMotors
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by JRP944
Received my CNC machined ITB flanges and elbows to be used with the cut down NA intake flange for the prototype inlet manifold. Need to do a final check on the engine tomorrow so the elbows can be cut in the correct locations before I send it off for welding.

Also have a 3D printed inlet flange in there to test fit that is representative of what a CNC machined version would be. Looks like a couple hole positions still need some tweaking before finalizing, but that's not a very big deal. Better in plastic than machined aluminum.

JRP
Do the elbows get welded to the ITB flanges? How will the plenum attach to the ITBs? Even in plastic that intel flange looks slick.
Old 03-05-2023, 07:08 PM
JRP944
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AkechiMotors
Do the elbows get welded to the ITB flanges? How will the plenum attach to the ITBs? Even in plastic that intel flange looks slick.
Correct, the elbows will be welded to the flanges. They will be cut at a 15 degree angle on the radiused end and the straight end will be cut down to about 10mm of straight pipe before being welded to the individual throttle flanges.

The plenum will attach to the ITBs using 4 of these 60mm long extensions:

I need to have a fixture made to hold the flanges flat and in the correct position before sending for welding.

JRP
AkechiMotors (03-05-2023)
Old 03-05-2023, 07:13 PM
JRP944
Rennlist Member

Did some test fitting today, cut down NA flange versus 3D printed plastic flange.

Couple minor hole location tweaks. Seemed I could only get 4 of the 8 bolts to comfortable thread in by hand and I could easily see the misalignment. Also need to adjust the position of the fuel rail mounting holes just a smidge.

JRP
The following 3 users liked this post by JRP944:
AkechiMotors (03-05-2023), J1NX3D (03-05-2023), vacuumnoise (04-19-2023)
Old 03-05-2023, 10:44 PM
Zirconocene
Rennlist Member

Received 664 Likes on 486 Posts

I don't know how I missed this thread earlier, but I am loving it!

If you do something for 16V cars, count me in, especially if it can work for a while with the AFM. Of course, best would be to be able to move to a standalone ECU with MAP, sequential injection and ignition, etc. However, keeping the car able to drive, until all that other work can be done, would be ideal.

Best of luck, this looks fantastic.

Cheers
The following 2 users liked this post by Zirconocene:
JRP944 (03-06-2023), PF (03-06-2023)
Old 03-23-2023, 12:54 AM
Newt Gomez
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

If I wasn't so dead set on electronic throttle bodies for my car, I would consider doing a similar thing. The 944 engine is a great candidate for easy ITB development and packaging imo.
As far as plenums and such goes, they can have huge benefits when tuned properly. There are a few SAE papers on the matter where intake pulses are like a wave through an rpm range. Lengths of your runners determine the rpm range (short=high rpm and long=low rpm favorability typically) and plenum volume can change how high and low the pulses affect VE. Bigger lowers the highs, but raises the lows and smaller plenums do the opposite generally. Pretty fun stuff to play around with but manufacturing different stuff is a big project. Porsche and a couple other companies make dynamic manifolds which are really awesome technology.
JRP944 (03-23-2023)
Old 03-24-2023, 01:39 PM
Adonay
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Chalt
Okay, so I just youtube searched "bmw s54 engine sound" on youtube.
I listened to this one:
https://youtu.be/iOeNZerJpJg

So are those BMW's naturally aspirated? Is the sound because of the ITBs or mainly aftermarket exhausts? Are the ITBs stock on the s54's?
Nice to find this tread . I want to to install ITB's on my 944s motor sitting in my 951 chassis mainly due to owning a S54 swapped E36 the itb sound is intoxicating. Don't care if my 944 will only make a 160Whp it still needs ITB's. Thinking about installing the danst kit but standalone first .
Old 04-06-2023, 08:33 PM
Tony5
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 47 Posts

This is the thread that turned me from a lurker to a member on Rennlist. Very cool to see the progress @JRP944 .
I've been daydreaming about the Danst kit for a while now, and I really like the idea of getting their full standalone kit. Partly because ITB's without tuning capability seems like taking a shower then putting dirty underwear back on. Almost no point if you're only gonna go halfway. And secondly because I like the idea of the ITB and standalone vendor being the same for when I inevitably call for tech support.
That said, I've not been able to get any email response from Danst at all. Just simple questions, like if the AOS requires modification, if they have a filter solution in the works, etc. So that's not very confidence inspiring. Their 8V kit doesn't seem as fully developed as the 16V kit either.
I probably shouldn't even be worrying about it because bodywork is the priority right now. Can't help but be excited about ITB's though. Any plans to pair this with a standalone ECU system @JRP944 ?
Old 04-07-2023, 07:25 AM
JRP944
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tony5
This is the thread that turned me from a lurker to a member on Rennlist. Very cool to see the progress @JRP944 .
Well that's encouraging! Thanks!

I've been daydreaming about the Danst kit for a while now, and I really like the idea of getting their full standalone kit. Partly because ITB's without tuning capability seems like taking a shower then putting dirty underwear back on. Almost no point if you're only gonna go halfway. And secondly because I like the idea of the ITB and standalone vendor being the same for when I inevitably call for tech support.
I hear ya on the standalone. The end goal would be to put together my own system - probably leaning toward a MicroSquirt of some sort - but I wanted to sort out the mechanical portion first. The thinking was that individuals would probably want to build their own EMS systems or use something already available if they wanted to extract some additional performance.

Any plans to pair this with a standalone ECU system @JRP944 ?
Having a standalone to offer to others has crossed my mind, but I'm not sure how popular it would be since everyone seems to have their own way they like to do this. Only time will tell I suppose!

JRP
Old 04-07-2023, 03:27 PM
Tony5
Instructor

The thinking was that individuals would probably want to build their own EMS systems or use something already available if they wanted to extract some additional performance.
Having a standalone to offer to others has crossed my mind, but I'm not sure how popular it would be since everyone seems to have their own way they like to do this.
That's fair. I may be in the minority, but I can wrench all day and tackle mechanical issues no problem but the idea of getting something like MS to work makes my brain hurt. Any system I go with needs to be close to plug and play, and as stated above, if it's paired with the ITB's by the seller all the better.
Not telling you what you have to do, just thinking out loud.
Tiger03447 (03-14-2024)
Old 04-07-2023, 05:09 PM
JRP944
Rennlist Member

That's fair. I may be in the minority, but I can wrench all day and tackle mechanical issues no problem but the idea of getting something like MS to work makes my brain hurt. Any system I go with needs to be close to plug and play, and as stated above, if it's paired with the ITB's by the seller all the better.
Not telling you what you have to do, just thinking out loud.
Thanks for the feedback! I appreciate the insight.

JRP
Tiger03447 (03-14-2024)
Old 04-08-2023, 11:10 PM
Tony5
Instructor

Thanks for the feedback! I appreciate the insight.

JRP
Don't hold back on updates, really hoping to see this turn into a saleable product.
The following 2 users liked this post by Tony5:
AkechiMotors (04-09-2023), Tiger03447 (03-14-2024)

Quick Reply: 944 8v ITB Development