Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Door chime and DME relay?!? (And no start)

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2023, 09:36 AM
walfreyydo
Three Wheelin'

Received 288 Likes on 251 Posts

Read my post again. Speed/ref sensors. Do you have any tach bounce when you turn over the car?

Also, are you still using the jumper for the DME relay? A bad relay wont allow power to the DME (terminal 87)
http://www.clarks-garage.com/shop-manual/fuel-05.htm

Last edited by walfreyydo; 02-02-2023 at 09:38 AM.
Old 02-02-2023, 11:07 AM
Millermatic
Rennlist Member

Received 131 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by walfreyydo
Read my post again. Speed/ref sensors. Do you have any tach bounce when you turn over the car?

Also, are you still using the jumper for the DME relay? A bad relay wont allow power to the DME (terminal 87)
http://www.clarks-garage.com/shop-manual/fuel-05.htm

The hole is getting a bit deeper. Joe suggested reinstalling the firmware on the DME... and aII I could get was an error message when I tried. Even tried downgrading the firmware. The DME is powered via USB when hooked up to a computer (and out of the car). So it's not a DME Relay issue. At least not only...

So... the troubleshooting continues...

Old 02-02-2023, 05:24 PM
TurrFinn
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Millermatic
Weird one for you...

I just replaced my timing and balance belts (after mixing up my pulleys and the belt getting damaged from wandering - I’ve got a recent thread on that).

So... I turned the engine over twice with a wrench to check the tension and alignments. All looked good. Put everything back together and try starting. Battery has drained down. Get my backup jump pack and hook it up.

Car catches and dies after about two seconds. And then just cranks.

I think I smelled something like a blown fuse... but I may be imagining things on this car at this point. I pull the DME relay (A Focus 9 solid state) and throw in a spare. Nothing. Just cranks.

Here’s the weird part... I put the Focus 9 DME back in... and the door chime goes “on.” I pull it out and stick in the other one and it stops. Neither one starts the car, mind you... but the one I had been using quite successfully until two weeks ago (last time I started it before the belt change) now makes the door chime go off. I should add... the door was closed.

So... I’ll run through other fuses, and check for spark and fuel flow after that, I suppose... but anyone have any Ideas what’s up with the chime? Is there some sort of “you put in a bad relay” warning that uses the door chime that I’ve never heard of?

My oil pressure also didn’t jump up when I cranked it (I’ve always had solid pressure)... but one mystery at a time.

As always... thanks for any suggestions...
I don't think my issue is related to yours but the problem sounds like my issue. My car cranks and puffs for a second then dies and doesn't start, if you can checkout what mine sounds like and tell me if it sounds similar to yours that would be great, I'm lost with my car lol.
Thread link: https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-...-no-start.html

Thanks,
TurrFinn
Old 02-02-2023, 08:27 PM
Millermatic
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TurrFinn
I don't think my issue is related to yours but the problem sounds like my issue. My car cranks and puffs for a second then dies and doesn't start, if you can checkout what mine sounds like and tell me if it sounds similar to yours that would be great, I'm lost with my car lol.
Thread link: https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-...-no-start.html

Thanks,
TurrFinn
It sounds like you are getting at least a bit of a “catch” (fuel plus spark)... which means it sounds completely different than mine right now! Haven’t had a chance to read through the rest of your thread yet... but I’ll give it a shot. Good luck!
Old 02-02-2023, 11:00 PM
TurrFinn
Instructor

Originally Posted by Millermatic
It sounds like you are getting at least a bit of a “catch” (fuel plus spark)... which means it sounds completely different than mine right now! Haven’t had a chance to read through the rest of your thread yet... but I’ll give it a shot. Good luck!
Thank you so much for getting back to me, I feel like my car may have skipped a tooth on the timing belt, unsure yet. I wish you the best with your issue.
Old 02-06-2023, 10:59 AM
Millermatic
Rennlist Member

I think I found the issue...

I got in touch with Joe at Focus 9 and started going through some troubleshooting on the DME. During the process I noticed the cooked chip below. I didn't notice it at first... I was too distracted looking at the LEDs that lit up just fine.
The chip is a voltage regulator according to Joe. He's sending another unit.

For what it's worth... my grounds are in good shape and both my engine and battery harness are less than two years old. No rotting wires. Electrically... I haven't done anything more than disconnect the battery lately. Joe said he will look into it on his bench when he gets the unit back.

Thanks for everyone's help trouble-shooting this. (And thanks to Joe at Focus 9).

And after saying all of that... I probably jinxed myself... and I still won't be able to get it started!

Old 02-06-2023, 04:26 PM
Zirconocene
Rennlist Member

Received 766 Likes on 539 Posts

It's dead, Jim. (Too geeky a reference? Admittedly, I'm more a Star Wars guy.)
The following users liked this post:
Millermatic (02-06-2023)
Old 02-06-2023, 04:33 PM
931guru
Rennlist Member

Received 332 Likes on 273 Posts

Originally Posted by Zirconocene
'E's not pinin'! 'E's passed on! This parrot is no more! He has ceased to be! 'E's expired and gone to meet 'is maker! 'E's a stiff! Bereft of life, 'e rests in peace! If you hadn't nailed 'im to the perch 'e'd be pushing up the daisies! 'Is metabolic processes are now 'istory! 'E's off the twig! 'E's kicked the bucket, 'e's shuffled off 'is mortal coil, run down the curtain and joined the bleedin' choir invisible!! THIS IS AN EX-PARROT!!

Now, that's a geeky reference!
The following 2 users liked this post by 931guru:
Millermatic (02-06-2023), Zirconocene (02-06-2023)
Old 02-06-2023, 09:10 PM
Millermatic
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 931guru
'E's not pinin'! 'E's passed on! This parrot is no more! He has ceased to be! 'E's expired and gone to meet 'is maker! 'E's a stiff! Bereft of life, 'e rests in peace! If you hadn't nailed 'im to the perch 'e'd be pushing up the daisies! 'Is metabolic processes are now 'istory! 'E's off the twig! 'E's kicked the bucket, 'e's shuffled off 'is mortal coil, run down the curtain and joined the bleedin' choir invisible!! THIS IS AN EX-PARROT!!

I’m usually not one to shy away from contributing a geeky reference of my own... but I know when I’m beat. Well done.
Old 02-07-2023, 01:16 AM
951Dreams
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Zirconocene
One step farther... It's dead Jim! I'm a doctor, damn it, not a.... oh yeah, wait....

Originally Posted by 931guru

This wins the most obscure geek quote award. Flying Circus FTW!

I'm glad you got it figured out, That's some well-toasted bread. An overcooked ham. One chrispy chicken. Blackened salmon. Over fried ice cream. Some burnt ends. One roasted pig. A well done steak. Over microwaved popcorn. My ex's cooking...

I really hope that it was just a faulty part. I'm glad Joe is taking care of you. Waiting to see what happens when you get the next one! All this popcorn is making me fat.
Old 02-10-2023, 12:29 AM
TurrFinn
Instructor

Just a thought after what I've been dealing with, I don't think it will do anything for you but its worth a try.

Unplug an injector, crank the car, if it does nothing, plug it back in and crank.
After cranking on 4 try unplugging 2 injectors and crank the car.
It's possible after cranking the car on 4 injectors it will start on 1 injector.

I've done this with my car and it magically started for a solid 5-6 seconds.

I skimmed the thread and didn't get to read all of it, if this is something you've tried or you know its not a fueling problem just ignore this post.
Old 02-10-2023, 06:49 PM
Millermatic
Rennlist Member

It’s not a fuel problem. Both pressure and supply are fine.

The issue is a lack of spark. No spark at the plugs. No spark at the coil prior to the distributor. Coil itself tested fine per the procedures at Clark’s Garage (a great resource if you aren’t already familiar with it.). Stated another way... the coil is able to generate a spark at a plug when directly hooked to a battery. And the resistance checks out in spec, too.

I can’t definitively say the toasted chip on the DME is the issue (or the only issue)... since I won’t have the new DME for a few more days. Even so... it seems like a pretty safe bet that vaporized engine computer chips negatively impact starting.

Joe at Focus 9 is going to take a look at the failure. There a couple of possibilities... I’ll share any enlightening discoveries.

Quick Reply: Door chime and DME relay?!? (And no start)